• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see IOI actually put the XsX power to good use... now I can't wait to see what XGS devs and Bethesda Studios do with these machines. Impressive.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
wold that loading time be what it is going to be going forward or ps5 could have more optimization? ps5 has like 2x speed yet there is less of a second of difference.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
  • Native 4K/60fps on Series X. One of the cleanest games they've seen.
  • 1800p/60fps on PS5
  • 1080p/60fps on Series S.
  • Series X has Ultra Textures and High Shadows.
  • PS5 has Ultra Textures and Medium Shadows.
  • Series S has High Textures and Low Shadows.
  • Framerate is close to perfect on all platforms, with a few exceptions.
  • Load times are virtually identical on all next-gen platforms, with PS5 typically coming in about 1/2 a second faster.

The PS5 version allegedly has no framerate dips. All the exceptions are on Xbox and mostly Mendoza

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
The difference between true 4k and 1800p isn't noticeable during normal gameplay sat at a normal distance from the tv.

If you get up close however, you might tell the difference. In other words, 1800p or 4k, both will look absolute quality on a 4k display. There is virtually nothing between them to the normal naked eye.
Not true, I played Jedi Fallen order 1800p on my PC (Played on a 65inch 4k display at a normal distance away) and while it was sharp I def noticed the difference when I switched to 4k. It's def an acceptable alternative though.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
The difference between true 4k and 1800p isn't noticeable during normal gameplay sat at a normal distance from the tv.

If you get up close however, you might tell the difference. In other words, 1800p or 4k, both will look absolute quality on a 4k display. There is virtually nothing between them to the normal naked eye.
I politely disagree, it is noticable.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
This is where I expected the consoles to generally land when we first had the spec sheets (XSX 4k, PS5 ~1800p or Dynamic 4k dipping to ~1800p, XSS 1080p). Need more data points over the next year to see whether I was right.

Depends on viewing distance and screen size. But for my size/distance, I can't really tell between 1440p and 4k other than UI.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
The drops in the Mendoza level were interesting, and I have to wonder if the PS5 not dropping there was due to the increased GPU clock speed? Stuff like that will probably be the most interesting thing over this generation, seeing which systems have minute advantages over certain areas and why.

The higher resolution on the Series X probably has something to do with it.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
wold that loading time be what it is going to be going forward or ps5 could have more optimization? ps5 has like 2x speed yet there is less of a second of difference.
Maybe they used offline mode (I haven't seen the video ye), so I don't know, but Hitman in particular does server side stuff everytime it loads a level, so the bottleneck may be in the connection to the server.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks incredible.

This comparison hopefully means the GDK is maturing! Seems like it's very clean on both platforms, but I'll gladly take the native 4K.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
The higher resolution on the Series X probably has something to do with it.

Then drop the resolution to 1800p. I'd sacrifice that for a locked 60fps.

Also believe John Linneman has been replaced by an android replicating his voice, never have i once heard him claim 4k is "beneficial"...until today. Hmmmm

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Puts a smile on my face to see the little XSS still beast through with 60fps gameplay. Looks like a great game performance wise on all consoles. Crossing my fingers for more 1800P 60fps games when current gen only games come out.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
10/12. 1800/2160 83%

Now all of a sudden a slightly better resolution seems to matter again.

Finally a game where XSX shows that extra GPU power.
If it didn't matter we wouldn't be buying 4K TV's. Those who don't care that much probably aren't coming to these threads.

Glad to see DF do their due diligence unlike the other video from yesterday. Good job again.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
User Warned: Console Warring
These ''tools matured'' posts are convenient as fuck, if it took a month or a year for a game to have a noticeable advantage it wouldn't make any difference for the point being right.

Anyway, the game looks, and runs, very clean on all platforms, XSX footage shown in the video is beautiful.

Ateyaba

Banned
Dec 14, 2020
User Banned (Permanent) - Platform Warring & Metacommentary; Account in Junior Status
Era after Digital Foundry gives an advantage on PS5 for 10 games :

"Meh... something seems wrong... probably just a bug"

Era after Digital Foundry gives an advantage on Xbox for 1 game :

"See... Xbox is the superior console as expected, now move away..."

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
VRR saving the day again from whatever minuscule fame rate dips XSX has. Sounds like a great port on both platforms. XSS getting 1080/60 is awesome too.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

It can be noticeable depending on the game and the AA solution, I find that any resolution increase is noticeable w/games that utilize TAA, as higher resolutions will lead to less perceptible blur while the camera is in motion.

1800p vs 4K is generally going to be almost indistinguishable though in any event IMO, but it is something I can notice even when playing on a 1080p screen, just downsampling from those resolutions. As an example, Gears 5 looks very clean at 1800p with just a hint of sharpening, but it looks flawless with no perceptible blur at 4K

All in all not the sort of difference I'd switch hardware (or purchase a new GPU) for, I will say

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The real question is if you can see the resolution difference without pixel counting? That I'd like to know.

I know its a bit of meme after the Xbox One but the reality is this would entirely depend on how close you sit to your TV Screen and how big it is.

I have a 65" in my office and a 65" in my bonus room.
I sit 3 feet away in my office and 9 feet away in my bonus room.

The difference between 4K and 1440P (as an example) is stark in my office and basically unnoticable in my bonus room.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda more in line with what I expected the discrepancy for 3rd party games to be between PS5 and XSX from the jump. I guess we'll see if this difference is an outlier or starts to be the norm.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
Are we gonna act surprised? I mean everybody knew eventually the dev tools and environment would mature. Still doesn't mean much this early in the generation anyway though. Both versions are solid.

I mean, the prevailing narrative around the internet in earlier comparison videos is that PS5 did indeed have secret sauce and that the SSD was magic after all.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
3840*2160 = 8,294,400 pixels
3200*1800 = 5,760,000 pixels

5,760,000/8,294,400 = 69.4%

As a PS5 owner, I don't want to see people here claiming you can't see a 30% drop in pixel count on a 4k TV, unless you are a decent, decent distance away.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
OyUDmPd.gif

While these differences will be mostly imperceptible to consumers it's still cool to see Xbox wasn't just a bunch of hot air.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I politely disagree, it is noticable.
I politely call it fake. I play 2 meters away from a 77 oled. It's imperceptible. Totally. Anyway I bought the serie x version. Both are solid. Shadow difference is bigger then resolution here yet it's a very tiny difference. I just find it funny that for once serie x has the upper hand (which should be the normal. A slight one ) end people are jumping on the power wagon. When before it was just poorly optimized.
( Im angry. I waited 3 to start the trilogy and I can't play hitman 1 on the new one. It's broken on Xbox 😩)

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

People are generally surprised because the XBOX has an on paper power advantage. There's not really some conspiracy. But we also know XBOX tools are behind Sony. We're not going to know the reality for a while.

Jun 22, 2018
Then drop the resolution to 1800p. I'd sacrifice that for a locked 60fps.

Also believe John Linneman has been replaced by an android replicating his voice, never have i once heard him claim 4k is "beneficial"...until today. Hmmmm
The drops really only happen in one place. It's not worth losing 30% of your pixel count in the whole game just to smooth out the frame rate for that one tiny area.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I politely call it fake. I play 2 meters away from a 77 oled. It's imperceptible. Totally. Anyway I bought the serie x version. Both are solid. Shadow difference is bigger then resolution here yet it's a very tiny difference. I just find it funny that for once serie x has the upper hand (which should be the normal. A slight one ) end people are jumping on the power wagon. When before it was just poorly optimized.
Let's not pretend these threads are ever populated with reasonable, level-headed takes from anyone haha

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Nice to see Xbox Series X hitting 4K60. Honestly, given the density of Hitman levels and how good this game already looks, it'd be interesting to see what these new consoles could pull off with something along the lines of DLSS. I mean, would you just end up with something like this playing at an even higher frame rate, or would devs manage to still become increasingly more ambitious in terms of detail and interactivity within environments? Either way, very exciting.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
User Banned (2 weeks): Platform Warring; History of repeated behavior
The fact that they can't make a last gen game with extra bells and whistles hit native 2160p on the PS5 port is laughable to say the least. Better wait for proper next-gen showcases.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
1800p is definitely noticeable when compared to 4k. It would suck if it becomes a trend, though. But it would mean me getting an Xbox faster than I already planned to.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Really? Because I remember literally thousands of responses in those threads and bunch of "Cerny is God" memes.