• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sony's PS5 teaser has been and gone and while we know a lot about its specs, what we don't have are any specific numbers: how much memory does it have? What about CPU/GPU clocks and the graphics configuration? Maybe - just maybe - some information is out there, and it comes from the unlikeliest of sources...

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Why are the project code names always more fun and interesting then the final product names?

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Sony's PS5 teaser has been and gone and while we know a lot about its specs, what we don't have are any specific numbers
giphy.gif

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
I dunno, the video made a solid case for why there was convincing evidence that the benchmarks represent testing the chip.

It cross referenced specs indicated by the model number and produced a range of TF values the PS5 would run at depending on how many compute units they put in the package.

(My pet theory: Sony's putting their board budget into the 39x faster SSD loading and figures it'll make for more transformative, better games than winning the TF war against Microsoft—so they'll probably have compute units on the lower end of that spread.)

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
1.6 ghz base /3.2 ghz max speed cpu
1.0ghz base / up to 1.8 ghz boost gpu ( may be lower than 1.8)

Richard says to take the info with a grain of salt but the Gonzalo product code interestingly match to previous console apu product code. All the leaked information is based off the Gonzalo product code. 3.2 ghz cpu speed has been rumored for awhile so this doesn't sound too crazy.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
leaks show Navi might have less CU's, so like 20/30 CU's at 1.8ghz on 7nm is possible, Nvidia's huge 2080 Ti already gets past 2ghz on 12nm. cooling issues might make them downclock to like 1.6ghz though, PS3 was also downclocked at the last minute & the Xbox 360 also should have been.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Navi supposedly focuses on gaming perf and pixel pushing rather than compute. There was a supposed leak of a Navi card that is meant to replace the 580X and it only has 20CU but a lot better gaming performance overall so the CU calculation determining TF might be off this time.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Those clocks don't look impressive at all. Didn't ryzen 1 do 8c @ 4ghz?

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Sure, I've got one doing that right now.

The thing is, it's a 105W CPU in an ATX tower and has a desktop cooler and fan.

Console thermals are always going to result in some compromises to fit the small case's thermal envelope. Doubly so with GPU cores on the same die

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
Seems pretty late in development, this chip could come out as soon as this fall

looks like my prediction about the next Xbox releasing earlier than Playstation might be true after all

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The Navi leak actually has the card keep up with the RX Vega 64 in some graphics perf and bandwidth tests even though the Vega has more than double the CU. Also points to HBM2 in Navi cards as well...

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
This is starting to make me think PS5 will be less than 10 teraflops. The updated Gonzalo leak suggested 20 cu at 1.8ghz = 9.1 TFLOPS :(

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK

lol

I did think of Speedy Gonzales myself when I read the title.

People saying that it may be below a certian number of TeraFlops the chipset would be a custom one, which would be sprinkled with "special sauce" I am worried that the speculation will be out of control for the next twelve months (whatever it is) before the true spec is announced by Sony.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

I would assume power consumption and heat load will be a huge factor in the specs of PS5, plus they need room to grow with PS5 Pro. It all really depends on the price, but 3.2ghz and 10-12tflops would be a dramatic upgrade for next gen baseline and if they can magically fit that in a $400 box... crazy times ahead

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Vega architecture has 64 shaders per CU for 4096 stream processors with its 64 total CU but Vega is imbalanced as it lacks geometric pixel pushing power compared to its compute performance which apparently Navi turns on its head with more focus on gaming performance so we could easily be looking at more than 64 shaders per CU for Navi considering it keeps up with Vega 64 CU GPU in graphics and bandwidth perf even though the leaked card only had 20 CU. Determining TF based on 64 shaders is probably wrong in the case of Navi.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
They mentioned this possible being the ps5 part but it could be the next Xbox part. I think 11TF is what Sony/MS are aiming for so 48CU @ 1.8ghz should get them there,