• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
That is what can be so crazy about this place sometimes. Most people click on something interesting, view it or play it, leave it, and thats it. Not everyone does extensive background checks on everything they are interested in. IDK how Era doesn't understand that.

People do understand that, that's why they are asking for a simple disclaimer on a video that will expose this game to a lot of people who don't know about the issues with this game. Hello?

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is what can be so crazy about this place sometimes. Most people click on something interesting, view it or play it, leave it, and thats it. Not everyone does extensive background checks on everything they are interested in. IDK how Era doesn't understand that.

We're talking about Eurogamer (not just John, who seems to be a good faith actor in all this), not your random friend who plays games every once in a while.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Is this the first case we've seen on Switch of a 1080p image downsampled to 720p in handheld mode?
Hyrule Warriors does the same thing. Which is horrible, because it means it runs at mostly 60 FPS while docked with some drops... but at 30 FPS with drops in handheld.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I think it's worse to punish a lot of people just to maybe hit a few that are actually bad.
Not sure about you but I wouldn't be content working for a company that allowed for employees to be directly transphobic toward their community through official channels of communication.

But if one of them did something horrible in secret, why should I be punished for that?
There's in secret and then there's allowing for your immediate community to become a cess pool where members and developers alike can join in to insult and lambast trans members of the community, seeking to educate them with transphobic misinformation. There's a difference between something happening in secret and something happening so loud that headlines are published about the homophobic content in the game which you double down on and refuse to remove.

The concept of not holding a company to account for it's mistakes because they were, obviously, committed by workers and not the entity itself is endlessly stupid and counter to part of what the concept of a company itself is for. Here in this thread we see why people don't wish for a single person working within one to be singled out and targeted, rather the company itself questioned for an answer when a concern is raised.

Naturally though whichever side you go down it's always deemed improper when the concern is around transphobia. Having to meet every checkmark for an acceptable complaint to be lodged and considered.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about you but I wouldn't be content working for a company that allowed for employees to be directly transphobic toward their community through official channels of communication.

There's in secret and then there's allowing for your immediate community to become a cess pool where members and developers alike can join in to insult and lambast trans members of the community, seeking to educate them with transphobic misinformation. There's a difference between something happening in secret and something happening so loud that headlines are published about the homophobic content in the game which you double down on and refuse to remove.

The concept of not holding a company to account for it's mistakes because they were, obviously, committed by workers and not the entity itself is endlessly stupid and counter to part of what the concept of a company itself is for. Here in this thread we see why people don't wish for a single person working within one to be singled out and targeted, rather the company itself questioned for an answer when a concern is raised.

Naturally though whichever side you go down it's always deemed improper when the concern is around transphobia. Having to meet every checkmark for an acceptable complaint to be lodged and considered.

Yeah I don't know how many people who worked there were aware of that stuff until after the game's release, when the public actually became aware or what. I also don't know about any personal situations of the workers there - if they can move on now or not, etc.

I think it would be helpful to know what proportion of the people working there previously and those currently working there are responsible for this behavior. Also we'd have to know how much the porting company makes compared to the original developers. We'd have to know about any potential royalties or other benefits each person gets, etc...

I think people should complain, but we're talking about the decision of whether to promote / praise the game at all, or if all praise of the game should be prefaced by the facts of the situation. Like if we blackballed the game here, would that be a net positive? I don't think so.

As far as the DF video, I think talking about the issues with at least some of the original developers and management would be to bring it up somewhere in the video, but not in the beginning. And you should still do the video.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah I don't know how many people who worked there were aware of that stuff until after the game's release, when the public actually became aware or what. I also don't know about any personal situations of the workers there - if they can move on now or not, etc.

I think it would be helpful to know what proportion of the people working there previously and those currently working there are responsible for this behavior. Also we'd have to know how much the porting company makes compared to the original developers. We'd have to know about any potential royalties or other benefits each person gets, etc...

I think people should complain, but we're talking about the decision of whether to promote / praise the game at all, or if all praise of the game should be prefaced by the facts of the situation. Like if we blackballed the game here, would that be a net positive? I don't think so.
I don't think we have to know any of that to shun a product from a company that has refused to remove homophobic content from it and who had no issue with their employees being transphobic toward their own community. I don't think that needs a thorough investigation to validate. Which is why I'm disappointed that Digital Foundry put out a video showcasing it and praising it as one of the best games of last year.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we have to know any of that to shun a product from a company that has refused to remove homophobic content from it and who had no issue with their employees being transphobic toward their own community. I don't think that needs a thorough investigation to validate. Which is why I'm disappointed that Digital Foundry put out a video showcasing it and praising it as one of the best games of last year.

Wait didn't they removed the homophobic content? I thought it was all out? I also thought they stopped the behavior. I wasn't aware of any ongoing bullshit.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
Liked the video (quality stuff as usual), but I must admit that I watched it just to see if the controversy will be mentioned.

Deleted member 932

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, forcing people to discuss any one point of a discussion is wrong and doesn't mean that at all.

I said all my 2 cents on the patched out transphobic stuff when it happened. Personally I don't see a lot more to say about it. My opinion is do not destroy what is probably 90% decent people (especially the porters, but surely the entire company doesn't know about specific assets and hidden comments in a game!) for the bad seeds, and the bad company heads. It all eventually comes down to no ethical consumption under capitalism, but I think it's worse to punish a lot of people just to maybe hit a few that are actually bad.

So I think praise of Ion Fury is most ethical when not burdened with caveats.

additional point of perspective - at my company, the CEO is an unabashed Republican, and he says horrible stuff (Anti workers rights stuff) and expects people to laugh at it. I know one of my coworkers is a Republican and I know the majority are not. But if one of them did something horrible in secret, why should I be punished for that?
This post is laughable.

Who is punishing who? Some of you guys truly have a victim complex

Onlygames

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 21, 2020
De_Dust2
For what it's worth I played through the entire game and didn't come across any hateful or bigoted content (unless you count 80's inspired bro-dude writing as such). Did they patch these things out? I'm unaware of the extent of the original content that featured these issues.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
(EDIT: Ashlette, for some reason your post still got quoted even though I'd deleted it; sorry about the alert.)

This was widely reported on. If you Googled the game's name anywhere near release I'm betting it's the majority of what you'd see. It is not anywhere near something you'd need an "extensive background check" to find or have to be looking for to begin with.

And like... sometimes people know about shit because it affects them. Bigotry, y'know affects people who can't afford to just ignore it. And shouldn't have to ignore it, and reasonably want others to acknowledge there's an issue.

squallmx

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the video. Super interesting. Too bad the switch version can't archive 60 fps consistently.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Interesting. Few thousand GL draw calls does not sound too bad in general but considering how EDuke probably uses pretty outdated GL stuff and apparently does not sort calls it makes more sense.

While the original Doom code is surprisingly well designed and easy to read, Duke 3D is a bit of a mess. It has always been fascinating how smart people deal with complex problems. Some can turn difficult problems into sophisticated but simple mental models leading to designs that are easy to reason about for others. But if you are smart enough to handle a very complicated design with a lot of mutable state in your head that might work too. It's just a lot more difficult for other people to contribute and fix issues. And after a while even the smart author who once understood everything forgets and the code becomes a maintenance nightmare.

Working as a programmer it often seems that some people, especially juniors and managers appreciate complex solutions more than simpler ones solving essentially the same problem. And arriving to the simpler one might actually require a lot more work. Carmack's solutions were often quite easy to reason about while groundbreaking at the same time and I think it's big part of what makes someone an excellent programmer.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I know somebody on a private discord at Naughty Dog who basically said most devs in the industry avoid ResetEra like the plague. Im not surprised Dark1x said fuck this shit im out.
I hope Dark1x (John) will return, but I can understand why he did, what he did.
The dog piling in here is unbearable, John is someone who is doing it because it's fun to him.
I read this thread rather quietly. So I can understand the devs of Naughty Dog as well.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
The dog piling in here is unbearable, John is someone who is doing it because it's fun to him.

There was no "dog piling". People, me included, pointed out in a very reasonable way that they are disappointed on how Dark1x and df handled that situation. If you don't think so, please point me towards posts where people were dog piling on him.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
There was no "dog piling". People, me included, pointed out in a very reasonable way that they are disappointed on how Dark1x and df handled that situation. If you don't think so, please point me towards posts where people were dog piling on him.
Yeah I've read about the situation, maybe dog piling was the wrong word.
And yes I also read about the Developer situation.
And I am honest, I cannot show you the post which states that directly.
It would be the best thing John would describe the situation, and why this happened,
then repeating the same issue over and over, or am I thinking wrong in this?

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've read about the situation, maybe dog piling was the wrong word.
And yes I also read about the Developer situation.
And I am honest, I cannot show you the post which states that directly.
It would be the best thing John would describe the situation, and why this happened,
then repeating the same issue over and over, or am I thinking wrong in this?

You are right, it would be nice to get a statement from them about the situation. I doubt that dark1x is allowed to just talk about it here in the forum, though. So if we are going to hear anything, it will be probably on the df Twitter or any other official channel.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
You are right, it would be nice to get a statement from them about the situation. I doubt that dark1x is allowed to just talk about it here in the forum, though. So if we are going to hear anything, it will be probably on the df Twitter or any other official channel.
I hope he will be allowed to talk about this in his Twitter, lets hope he gets the opportunity,
his content is great, it would be a shame to lose some one who likes to talk about technical stuff so much.
Thank you :)

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
They are not going to issue a statement because a handful of people in this thread are unhappy they made this video.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of someone's actual job, it's completely up to the team at Digital Foundry the decision to analyze a game and make content about it, while fully understanding that they have a large audience and that they're essentially promoting a game whose developers went on to say more than a few very problematic things.

This kind of sours my feelings on Digital Foundry, to be honest, which is sad because I love their content. It's just not a video I would've published at all.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
John left? Another epic victory for us compassionate progressive gamers.

Yes, hes gone. And in the vulnerable situation he's in its simply heartbreaking to see how he's been treated.

I tried to go to his profile, giving me an oops error.
But probably because he narrowed down who can access his profile on Era.

He's gone, i managed to speak to him before he left, and im still getting the same error.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know somebody on a private discord at Naughty Dog who basically said most devs in the industry avoid ResetEra like the plague. Im not surprised Dark1x said fuck this shit im out.
You know, I can think of plenty of reasons why people in the industry avoid Resetera. This place being too progressive isn't one of them lol.

Which isn't to say Dark1x is wrong for leaving, I think it's understandable that he feels pressured because of this especially given he can't necessarily do anything about it. I think most here have been pretty understanding of that as well. I think it's ridiculous to say that situations like this is why developers don't want to come near this forum though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Dismissing concerns of bigotry.
Dark1x has been putting out great work and an awesome member here, and all you fucks cared about was tearing him down instead of just taking with him. Pathetic.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So just to be clear because people are blaming this forum for Dark1x leaving, this is the post where he said that he'd break away from posting for a while:
I don't even know what to do. I now feel like complete shit. I love 3D Realms and the crew running it are good, kind hearted people.

This was a dream game for me - the kind of thing I wanted more than anything else and it delivered. I want more games like this and I want to support what that publisher is delivering. That's really all there is to it. I make videos about games and types of games I really care about.

I didn't even CONSIDER this shit when starting the video and then I come in here and see this? I HATE what those stupid fucks said - they are morons for acting that way. Fuck them.

All I can do now is say I'm sorry for that and leave. Maybe it's time to break away from posting for a while? I'm trying to do the best I can walking a tight rope here but I'm just not good at it. I don't want to hurt anyone. I just want to talk about things I love and now, because of the actions of others, that's not even something I can enjoy.
It's pretty clear that his frustration is at the developers, not this forum. And I think it's totally fair for him to take a break, it's pretty clear that he doesn't know how to handle this situation. And that's pretty understandable given that it's not a situation he was expected to be put in.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So critique is only allowed if it is positive or if the creator does not have a forum account?
Clearly your not seeing a vulnerable individual behind the material, his health should be prioritised before any conversation taking place. Thread is all yours now, please continue.

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yes, hes gone. And in the vulnerable situation he's in its simply heartbreaking to see how he's been treated.

He's gone, i managed to speak to him before he left, and im still getting the same error.
Dark1x has been putting out great work and an awesome member here, and all you fucks cared about was tearing him down instead of just taking with him. Pathetic.
Going by his post in the other thread, he was pissed off at the devs and didn't say anything about this forum. But it seems some of you have a narrative you want to fulfill so bad, so you spread misinformation and assumptions out of nowhere.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He is not 'gone'. He said he'd step away for a while because he doesn't feel good. Also, he didn't accuse people or anything. He himself said it's shitty what the developers did.

It's pretty callous of you to immediately see this as people lacking compassion when:

1) many of us have tried to be nuanced, believe John to have acted in good faith, and have tried orienting the whole discussion towards what DF/Eurogamer as a whole should do about this (not just him). Like, it's not like people are insulting him or asking for him to lose his job. Asking for a gaming outlet to simply address a situation in a disclaimer is not that much to ask.

2) the original controversy specifically arose because developers were not being compassionate towards LGBT+ people. The criticisms exist precisely because people want more compassion.

You're just making the discussion needlessly inflammatory with this kind of drive-by posts.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
Clearly your not seeing a vulnerable individual behind the material, his health should be prioritised before any conversation taking place. Thread is all yours now, please continue.

Or, maybe I see the importance in pointing out when someone is (unknowingly) promoting the product of a hateful creator, even if that revelation hurts.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing Concerns of Bigotry and Attacking the Community Over Multiple Posts
Going by his post in the other thread, he was pissed off at the devs and didn't say anything about this forum. But it seems some of you have a narrative you want to fulfill so bad, so you spread misinformation and assumptions out of nowhere.
Yes dozens of posters collectively wagging their finger at John for not being aware of a rather small controversy, questioning even his morals can be massively frustrating. There's zero doubt in my mind that the community could have behaved a bit more reasonably considering who the person in question is.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
dark1x is a great poster here and you guys constantly give him shit for the dumbest reasons so I can imagine him getting fed up, but this particular thread is 100% valid. Disappointed in DF

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
Yes dozens of posters collectively wagging their finger at John for not being aware of a rather small controversy, questioning even his morals can be massively frustrating. There's zero doubt in my mind that the community could have behaved a bit more reasonably considering who the person in question is.

Some of you act as if Dark1x is a child with not even the minimal capability of handling criticism. Have some respect and treat him as an adult.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
He's said several times how much these pile-ons affect him.

Whatever, i'm out before I snap

Again, there was no pile-on, but a handful of people raising their concerns. For all the positive feedback he deservedly got for his videos in this forum, it is only fair to also allow us to point out shortcomings, especially if they have such severe implications.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Interesting. Few thousand GL draw calls does not sound too bad in general but considering how EDuke probably uses pretty outdated GL stuff and apparently does not sort calls it makes more sense.

While the original Doom code is surprisingly well designed and easy to read, Duke 3D is a bit of a mess. It has always been fascinating how smart people deal with complex problems. Some can turn difficult problems into sophisticated but simple mental models leading to designs that are easy to reason about for others. But if you are smart enough to handle a very complicated design with a lot of mutable state in your head that might work too. It's just a lot more difficult for other people to contribute and fix issues. And after a while even the smart author who once understood everything forgets and the code becomes a maintenance nightmare.

Working as a programmer it often seems that some people, especially juniors and managers appreciate complex solutions more than simpler ones solving essentially the same problem. And arriving to the simpler one might actually require a lot more work. Carmack's solutions were often quite easy to reason about while groundbreaking at the same time and I think it's big part of what makes someone an excellent programmer.

Wasn't Build pretty much the work of a wiz kid who code it mostly by himself?

It's still amazing he managed to do it! I really should watch this video. Build was an intriguing piece of software in the middle of a revolution in gaming.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't Build pretty much the work of a wiz kid who code it mostly by himself?

It's still amazing he managed to do it! I really should watch this video. Build was an intriguing piece of software in the middle of a revolution in gaming.

I think that was why I found this, and other videos on programming of that era, so interesting. Everything was new, there wasn't a best way to do something, so people were just inventing really unique solutions to problems.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I think that was why I found this, and other videos on programming of that era, so interesting. Everything was new, there wasn't a best way to do something, so people were just inventing really unique solutions to problems.
I really speaks volumes of Carmack, isn't it? The engine he made was so well structured and implemented.

He did have a very different way of viewing game development though.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Man that youtube comment section is a dumpster fire. Interesting to note, nobody here is dogpiling, insulting or threatening John, just raising their concerns. Yet you see gators in the comments "fair warning, if you add a disclaimer you'll be sorry" type shit. People are already threatening to hate brigade and harass the guy if he "gives in to the SJWs"

Suur Tõll

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
Awesome and informative video, as always with Mr. Linneman. And as always with Mr. Linneman, I clicked "like" after watching, although the game itself is not up my alley - similarly to how I behave with Tim Rogers' videos, for example. Quality work speaks for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.