- Oct 27, 2017
Yes, Just Cause 3 had some pretty severe performance issues - and Just Cause 4 ups the ante with far more ambitious physics and severe weather conditions. Can the current-gen consoles cope? To find out, we tested them all.
Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe
Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net
- Most of the engine is coded with performance in mind, while introducing dynamic resolution scaling.
Resolution & Graphics:
- XBX: Native 4K to 1440p
- PS4 Pro: 1440p to 1080p
- PS4 OG: 1080p to 720p
- XBO: 900p to 720p
- Enhanced consoles also have higher resolution textures and SSR effects.
- Besides XBX, the other consoles seem to spend more time closer to their lower resolution limits.
- XBX stays close to 30 FPS with minor drops, holds up fine most of the time.
- PS4 Pro hands the most consistent 30 FPS performance on consoles with only a single drop registered during testing.
- OG PS4: Generally 30 FPS with small drops, frame rate holds up generally well
- XBO: More performance drops than any other consoles, generally the worst performing version
- XBX is the best looking, Pro is the most smoothest but XBX's visual advantages are more prominent more over.
- Pro might have more of an overhead in later areas of the game, but for the tested scenarios: XBX -> Pro -> PS4 -> XBO