• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I totally agree. I want the Trilogy in 900/1080p too.

Most of Nintendo's output so far on Switch in terms of larger budget games has been a mix of WiiU ports like MK8D, Tropical Freeze and Captain Toad or games that use very similar engines / looks to their WiiU predecessors like Splatoon 2 and Smash 5. The brand new games that target 60fps use aggressively low resolutions (Yoshi's Crafted World) or dynamic resolutions which still can't hold 60fps (Super Mario Odyssey).

I'm not for one minute saying this to demean the Switch. It's my main console platform and some of the things it pulls off are absolutely incredible but the hardware is what it is and when you're making a graphically impressive game in a franchise like Metroid Prime in the HD era with modern shaders and effects in an almost certainly large World with complex geometry then something is going to have to give and imo it will be a halving of the framerate so that it can compete visually with the other big AAA shooters on the market.

It will be 600p/30fps in handheld mode and 900p/30fps in docked mode with very, very impressive visuals and cinematography imo. Hopefully a Switch Pro / 2 is out by the time it launches which will offer a 1080/60 mode while docked.
You seem focused on Nintendo delivering a game that's going to attempt to compete with the big boy console shooters. I just don't see that being a motivation for Nintendo or Retro.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they targeted 1080p/720p. wouldn't have blamed them for going for something lower

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Honestly the AA was the only thing that I noticed while playing the game, but I was so blown away by the other things they were doing that it wasn't a big deal. When I've been selling this game to my friends the things they do with lighting and overall IQ are some of my biggest talking points. They are wizards with their hardware.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Fabulous tech work from Next Level here. High res with lots of modern effects that usually are absent on Switch with reasonable performance. Awesome to see someone get these results out of the Switch hardware.

Jan 21, 2019
If Capcom sold me this game on PS4pro, I wouldn't question it one second, it is to me just as impressive as Resident Evil 2. How is this even possible? It is melting my eyes.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes I feel like people forget what a game without AA looks like.

LM3 has a decent solution. Not amazing but their is obviously an AA solution in place.

Nov 4, 2017
My wife isn't a gamer, but she watched me playing LM3 handheld for a bit and she said she was blown away by how good it looked. The praise and recognition is highly deserved IMO.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You seem focused on Nintendo delivering a game that's going to attempt to compete with the big boy console shooters. I just don't see that being a motivation for Nintendo or Retro.

Not at all. I'd be delighted if they hit Halo 4 levels of visuals with some better textures and effects like particles (which was 30fps on the 360 with extreme optimisation using a 3.2GHz CPU). I'm mentioning the CPU in particular because that piece of the hardware make up has a massive bearing on framerate. Switch obviously has much more memory and a more modern and more powerful GPU.

Halo 4 had a $100 million budget though. Overall I'm keeping my graphical expectations in check for Metroid Prime 4 in particular and using other much smaller scale impressive looking Switch games to gauge how it might run on the Tegra chipset.

Also remember the meltdowns over how "unimpressive" the new Pokemon looks (because of mainly budget constraints) and Pokemon will sell 5x as many copies as a new Metroid even if it sells twice as well as MP3. Budget will have a massive bearing on how far Nintendo will push the boat out in terms of pushing modern visual fidelity.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Oh yeah, well that was the 3ds, weaker system for a 3d Metroid i assume if they make a Metroid 5 on Switch it will run at 60fps

Jun 20, 2019
This is great work, as others have said the animations appear to be top-notch and the artistic direction fits the lighting and shading solutions hand-in-glove.

There is definitely anti-aliasing. It's very hard to miss given the cartoonish rounded-edges art style.

Not at all. I'd be delighted if they hit Halo 4 levels of visuals with some better textures and effects like particles (which was 30fps on the 360 with extreme optimisation using a 3.2GHz CPU). I'm mentioning the CPU in particular because that piece of the hardware make up has a massive bearing on framerate. Switch obviously has much more memory and a more modern and more powerful GPU.

Halo 4 had a $100 million budget though. Overall I'm keeping my graphical expectations in check for Metroid Prime 4 in particular and using other much smaller scale impressive looking Switch games to gauge how it might run on the Tegra chipset.

Also remember the meltdowns over how "unimpressive" the new Pokemon looks (because of mainly budget constraints) and Pokemon will sell 5x as many copies as a new Metroid even if it sells twice as well as MP3. Budget will have a massive bearing on how far Nintendo will push the boat out in terms of pushing modern visual fidelity.
Prime 4 will look and run great for the hardware, whatever it may be. Retro has yet to earn any doubt about their capabilities as engineers, and the fact that Nintendo was willing to completely reboot the development shows that they're serious about the game getting all the love it needs, even in the likely event that it winds up selling the normal Metroid numbers.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Doesn't matter which 4KTV you play on, some Switch games look great. And Luigi's Mansion 3 looks gorgeous, especially later on after you progressed through the first 2 floors.
Yup I can totally agree on this one the game looks freaking beautiful on my 4K TV(55" q70r)
especially the grass/garden level with all the blades of grass. Im going to floor 9 wich is the museum so it only can get better
. It basically looks like an animation. But i see no stairstepping like digital foundry mentioned (at least not from my seeting position).

Last edited:

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
"Looks like a 3DS in HD"

Damn cant wait to play Alliance Alive again if that is the leap it will make.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to add that Next Level Games knocked it out of the park with the animation. They have a fantastic animation team over there. The work they did for PUnch Out Wii was equally amazing. Really if you haven't looked at that recently you should check it out.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm not sure if those floor reflections are screen space, watch the scene from 9:40, you can see the soles of Luigi's feet reflected, but nothing of the steps. Could be a billboard impostor type?

Definitely screen space. You can easily see reflected details being clipped by the viewport as the camera position changes. Still a really beautiful, lovingly animated game. I can see the style not appealing to someone, but it's hard to fault the technology or attention to detail.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
It's a terrific-looking game for sure, without many frame rate drops. One early scene on floor 8 had my jaw almost on the floor at how good it looked and I would love to see some CG shorts from the team.

It's also one of the rare cases where it doesn't have one clearly superior mode, while the video does point out some dialed-up effects on the docked mode I found the switch between docked and handheld seamless. A few scenes are packed with so much detail I did find myself returning to the big screen just to get a better reading on the objects.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Will remember not to take stock on any tech opinions from Kinda Funny. Luigi's Mansion 3 is gorgeous.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Prime 4 is going to be a Switch 2 title, for for the current Switch Luigi is the best looking Nintendo published game I'd say. Lets see if BOTW2 or the next 3D Mario can top it.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I saw it in motion this week-end, looks and runs great, that's a must get.

Also nice to see that the game is in an almost perfect state, at launch, on version 1.00.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
I think both Greg and Tim play on OLED TVs and if you don't go switch your RGB range to limited on the Switch, games tend to look bad. I had the same issue with Mario Odyssey.

I play on OLED. Switch games looks great with full range. With limited RGB the image is far more washed out. But on some TVs you must activate full range on the TV too (separate for every HDMI port).

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I play on OLED. Switch games looks great with full range. With limited RGB the image is far more washed out. But on some TVs you must activate full range on the TV too (separate for every HDMI port).
Limited and full range should look virtually identical if configured correctly.
If limited range looks "washed out" compared to full range, it means that your display is not configured to use it correctly.