• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

One of the best looking exclusives to hit Switch yet, Luigi's Mansion 3's visuals have a CG film-like quality. The push for world physics and dynamic shadows is a highlight here too, taking it far beyond what the first two games could achieve on GameCube and 3DS.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get access to pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Yes! Waited for that video. Like I explained in several threads, it's probably the most impressive Nintendo title I've seen in years. Here's why:

Holy shit guys, you weren't kidding in the LM3 technical praise thread.
Playing for yourself, it looks damn incredible and is definitely the very first Nintendo first party Switch game that feels like a real next gen game.

I know that they accomplished the crazy good graphics with a lot of old-school techniques and little tricks but that doesn't changes the final outcome of what we see here.
This is probably the most AAA feeling Nintendo title in, maybe generations, in some ways, cause it's not only the graphics, it's absolute everything around it.
Yes you had all the Mario platformers and Zelda's in the last 2 gens, but they all were relatively simplistic when it comes to the core. Mario's were mostly, really well done, but simple platformers, BotW was a huge playground with a lot of toys but almost zero story, nothing ongoing throughout the game and made with the thought of you living your own adventure in it. Everything really well done on its own way, but here, I feel like they did something they never really do normally.

I'm playing like 5-6 hours already and I'm at the police appartment now, and up to this point, almost every single room you get in to, has his own little animations and cutscenes and a continuous happening that's constantly developing with every 3 minutes of progression, it's like a story driven adventure with almost more cutscenes than gameplay.
Normally you would get like a tutorial, a little story opening and then here are your level 1-1 to 1-9, see you for the next 2 minute cutscenes in about 3 hours, but here, almost every single door surprises you with new animations, new cutscenes, new tasks to do, new gameplay elements, new stuff that's happening and a presentation that just doesn't stop to deliver.
The way Luigi reacts to absolutely everything in this game in a completely new way each and every time, over like 6 hours already, just gives me the feeling of playing a continuous 6 hour adventure already, rather than playing a "normal" Nintendo game with a simple core element and strict levels to go through.

This finally feels like a real next gen Nintendo game and I'm f'n impressed.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best looking Nintendo game ever made!

Almost every little object having full physics simulations is so cool considering the hardware too.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Summary:

- Sheer density of objects on screen is staggering and almost every object can be interacted with.
- Lighting / dynamic shadows praised despite some imperfections like aliasing / stair stepping.
- SSR present.

- The AA is not very thorough. Lesser issue in cut-scenes than game play.
- No motion blur in the cut-scenes.

- Docked: 1080p Gameplay and cut-scenes, but some parts of the frame like DoF show dynamic 900p.
- Portable: 720p with some drops in cut-scenes 600p.
- Handheld drops texture filtering, shadow quality and AO to maintain 30 FPS.

- Ideally stable 30 FPS with some lingering frame pacing issues.
- Docked also incurs some stutters when saving and some deviations below 30 FPS.
- Portable performance is more or less the same as Docked.
- Not a perfect 30 FPS but the troubles shouldn't detract.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've barely progressed in this game because I interact with EVERYTHING.

Really glad DF made a video to showcase this game.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've barely progressed in this game because I interact with EVERYTHING.

Really glad DF made a video to showcase this game.

I was a bit disappointed in what's available with the cash
Basically easy mode items
considering how much money I'd acquired in the opening four hours lol.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I thought the game was targeting 60 fps after seeing the offscreen video in the other thread. I wonder if that was just motion interpolation with the user's TV.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
still don't understand how the people at Kinda Funny could say that the game looks bad (even as far as saying it must have been a 3ds game first).

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Bought the game last Friday and yes, it's a real stunner. Looks fantastic and the gameplay is even better imo!

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
I have already finished it, great game and very good looking visuals! Stunning i would say, but saying something like "best looking switch game" i mean you cannot compare it to anything else, the game is interior close not something like huge open games.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Just finished watching the video 1080p/720p 30 with all it has going on and almost no drops is incredibly impressive.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
still don't understand how the people at Kinda Funny could say that the game looks bad (even as far as saying it must have been a 3ds game first).

I think both Greg and Tim play on OLED TVs and if you don't go switch your RGB range to limited on the Switch, games tend to look bad. I had the same issue with Mario Odyssey.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Don't forget that Nvidia is in credits of this game, Nvidia was also in DQ XI S credits. Seems like they helped Next Level Games and Nintendo with technical assistance.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

These people must literally have never played a 3ds game. The game can rival anything else on Switch for best looking Nintendo game and stuff like screen space reflections weren't even used much on the PS3/360 generation.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
BoTW is by no means simplistic in any way when it comes to its systems tech or graphics.

Plus it has a similar attention to detail. There's all sorts of new things people have discovered.

Not to mention the insinuation that Nintendo games aren't "next-gen" because they prioritize gameplay loop over story/visuals/animation is just silly. (And Nintendo games actually typically have top notch animation).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think both Greg and Tim play on OLED TVs and if you don't go switch your RGB range to limited on the Switch, games tend to look bad. I had the same issue with Mario Odyssey.
So? They've played many Switch games. This isn't the first Switch game to release. They should know how it works on their TVs by now.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Here is what Kinda Funny stated:

How in the world is this looking like a hd 3ds game? I played it for 14 hours and it looks stunning.

Last edited:

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Been looking forward to this video. It's arguably the most impressive tech showcase game on Switch.

Here is what Kinda Funny stated:

How in the world is this looking like a hd 3ds game? I played it for 14 hours and it looks stunning.

I just remembered this video today and it cracked me up. Kinda Funny is never a place I look to for technical opinions, and this is just a perfect example of why.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
So? They've played many Switch games. This isn't the first Switch game to release. They should know how it works on their TVs by now.

I haven't played the game but YouTube videos showed off a good art style but image quality looked somewhat soft. It's like when you use TAA at low resolutions. FFXV is an impressive game but everything had a blurry look on PS4 that you could fix on PC with the right settings.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
BoTW is by no means simplistic in any way when it comes to its systems tech or graphics.

Yeah, but it's an open play field. A physic based open world game with the best of mechanics of popular games in the last few years. Fun and really good (and partly even very detailed like thunder, metal and stuff), but it didn't really surprised me in a way that I didn't expected, it maybe even more disappoint in some where I expected more. (But it's still an incredible game, don't get me wrong)
This here does something in how it tells you a story and leads you through the game, literally every 3-4 minutes with new tiny cutscenes and conversations, it feels like something Nintendo never did in such a narrative and stringent way before. It reminds me of Naughty Dog and Uncharted in how it moves you through the game with the heavy focus on story and cutscenes and just presentation at max.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Game looks amazing, but the lack of anti-aliasing is a mark against Nintendo time and time again.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was a bit disappointed in what's available with the cash
Basically easy mode items
considering how much money I'd acquired in the opening four hours lol.
I haven't even seen what my cash can be traded in for. I think I have over 10k at this point. My progress has been hindered due to me vacuuming literally everything.

Jun 2, 2019
This here does something in how it tells you a story and leads you through the game, literally every 3-4 minutes with new tiny cutscenes and conversations, it feels like something Nintendo never did in such a narrative and stringent way before

But Luigi's Mansion 2 does exactly this. More disjointed because of the mission structure, but every mission has this

Game looks amazing, but the lack of anti-aliasing is a mark against Nintendo time and time again.

My theory is that they're still overreacting to N64's antialiasing complaints.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
The game is a looker, i give it that. The only thing that didnt impress me is the ghosts illuminations compared to how i remember from the GameCube ghost back then.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Mark my words. This game character animation is going to put the future Iluminations movie to shame.

Like I dont think people comprehend here how incredibly the rig of this characters have to be to make it easier for the animation team to did what they did. Next Level Games have gone up and beyond of any cartoony game ever made in videogames. Not even Kingdom Hearts 3 have this kind of character rigs and animation details, they are really well done and their models have clearly a higher polycount, but not to the extent of the the phiscality of Luigi's mansion 3 animations. And we have to remember, all this animation is blended incredibly well so the interaction of character and player is still primordial, thats also masterful programming right there.

Every one and their mother on the animation industry is talking about this game right now. My animation teachers had their mouth fall to the floor when they had the game shown the other day.

Last edited:

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I've been slowly progressing if only because I try to suck up everything I can with the vacuum.

The animations in this game is amazing

Jun 2, 2019
Interesting, never played that.

The narrative style of LM3 is the same as LM2's, the only difference is that LM3 is a continuous adventure while LM2 is chopped in mission, but every mission is its own little story told in microcutscenes.

If you haven't played, you should, just like LM3 is one of the better games of Switch, LM2 is one of the better games of 3DS

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Holy moly this game looks gorgeous. Hmmm seems like i have to buy it now.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
30fps. Automatically makes tech here unimpressive.

giphy.gif

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017

Doesn't matter which 4KTV you play on, some Switch games look great. And Luigi's Mansion 3 looks gorgeous, especially later on after you progressed through the first 2 floors.