• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
But Luigi's Mansion 2 does exactly this. More disjointed because of the mission structure, but every mission has this
To emphasize the point about Dark Moon, the animation quality in that game is also superb and is only limited by the hardware it's running on. It's a shame that Next Level Games did not get nearly enough credit for their animation work in that game back when it first released, but at least we're all making up for that now with LM3 lol.

If anyone who has played this game likes what they see, go play Dark Moon. If you can get past the mission structure (and the mostly kinda bad boss battles *cough*) you'll find another game very much worthy of your time.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
To emphasize the point about Dark Moon, the animation quality in that game is also superb and is only limited by the hardware it's running on. It's a shame that Next Level Games did not get nearly enough credit for their animation work in that game back when it first released, but at least we're all making up for that now with LM3 lol.

If anyone who has played this game likes what they see, play Dark Moon. If you can get past the mission structure (and the mostly kinda bad boss battles *cough*) you'll find another game very much worthy of your time.

IIRC for those days, both Punch-Out and Luigis Mansion 2 were treated also as masterful achivements in animation (especially Punch-Out!!). Is just that for this title they have gone above and beyond and the rigs the models have this time see to be out of this world.

30fps. Automatically makes tech here unimpressive.

Theres stupidity, and then theres this post.

Oct 25, 2017
Haha. I'd like it to be 60 but something has to give and in a graphically impressive FPS I think it will be framerate personally.

Hopefully by the time it's out (probably 2022) there will be a Switch Pro or Switch 2 released that can run it at 60 :P
Prime 1, 2, and 3 all still look fucking fantastic to this day, thanks to the very strong art. I think we'll be fine.

Oct 27, 2017
There's one game holding my attention and keeping me from diving into this game: Dark Moon. I started playing it while waiting to get the latest installment. You have to put up with the first 7 levels or so before it really shows its stuff, and even then it takes getting to the 5th area to really feel like you're exploring an opulent mansion. But the animations are fantastic and even some of the puzzles are clever. Lots of interactive objects too. Can't wait to see how number 3 stacks up.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a chance. Nintendo understand frame rate enough to know you don't release a FPS at 30.

Like I said I hope so but on such limited hardware they would have to sacrifice a lot of visual grandeur in one of their big name cinematic franchises (which they will be aiming to grow and hit the usual shooter crowd) to hit 16ms on the Switch mobile chipset. Even if they aim for 60fps I don't see it holding at all unless they go for an insanely stylistic artstyle which doesn't push modern shaders or effects.

Super Mario Odyssey is the only game I can think of that isn't a WiiU port that is graphically impressive and 60fps on Switch and even then they had to use aggressive dynamic resolution and it doesn't hold 60fps in a lot of the levels with a lot of complex geometry.

Breath of the Wild, Mario + Rabbids, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Warframe, Astral Chain, The Witcher 3 and Luigi's Mansion 3 are all 30fps on Switch (IE most of the impressive looking games that use modern rendering techniques). As is Overwatch and Fortnite (in terms of competitive shooters) and most people outside of forums or DF viewers don't care or even know what framerate is.

There is nothing wrong with a solid 30fps, perfectly frame paced 30fps with good controller response times especially in a single player shooter (see Destiny 2 on console).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's one game holding my attention and keeping me from diving into this game: Dark Moon. I started playing it while waiting to get the latest installment. You have to put up with the first 7 levels or so before it really shows its stuff, and even then it takes getting to the 5th area to really feel like you're exploring an opulent mansion. But the animations are fantastic and even some of the puzzles are clever. Lots of interactive objects too. Can't wait to see how number 3 stacks up.
It's not even on the same level. Luigi's Mansion 3 blows away the first 2 games

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Game looks gorgeous indeed, except from some aliasing here and there (never too noticeable, in fact this is one of the few Nintendo first party game that uses a decent AA solution) and some texture resolution, the game looks like your average XO/PS4 release.

Surprised to see how a game with this good lighting, lots of reflections, lots of interactive elements and physics... it's one of the few Switch games that runs at 1080p native. It must be related to the static camera and good optimization, but even so it's impressive.

And the animations are something else, I doubt there's any other game that captures the western CG animation style that well.

Also the graphic evolution of the game since the reveal has been really unexpected.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Can't watch the video yet but is DF claiming the game has no AA? Because unless my Switch is running a special version of the game, it clearly does.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised this game didn't have any AA at all. Maybe it's because of the somewhat fixed angles, but looked waaay cleaner than most of Nintendo's other efforts

It does have AA though. DF specifically mentions that. The summary on the first page does too.

I'm not sure why people are claiming otherwise here...

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Damn no AO in portable mode.. this might be the 1st game since Zelda that I'll play 50/50 docked (have been 100% portable ever since)... how's the HD rumble? Luigi's Mansion Gamecube had fantastic rumble although much of its coolness was also related to the analog triggers controlling the progressive power of the poltergust which are missing here.

I might ditch the Lite play in favor of OG Switch docked, usually AO makes everything more 3Dimensional and adds the depth necessary to fool you into a great CGI look. Are there direct feed comparison shots between portable and docked?

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Like I said I hope so but on such limited hardware they would have to sacrifice a lot of visual grandeur in one of their big name cinematic franchises (which they will be aiming to grow and hit the usual shooter crowd) to hit 16ms on the Switch mobile chipset. Even if they aim for 60fps I don't see it holding at all unless they go for an insanely stylistic artstyle which doesn't push modern shaders or effects.

Super Mario Odyssey is the only game I can think of that isn't a WiiU port that is graphically impressive and 60fps on Switch and even then they had to use aggressive dynamic resolution and it doesn't hold 60fps in a lot of the levels with a lot of complex geometry.

Breath of the Wild, Mario + Rabbids, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Warframe, Astral Chain, The Witcher 3 and Luigi's Mansion 3 are all 30fps on Switch (IE most of the impressive looking games that use modern rendering techniques). As is Overwatch and Fortnite (in terms of competitive shooters) and most people outside of forums or DF viewers don't care or even know what framerate is.

There is nothing wrong with a solid 30fps, perfectly frame paced 30fps with good controller response times especially in a single player shooter (see Destiny 2 on console).
The first Metroid Prime is still a pretty game IMO. If they take that template and just make a prettier version of that on Switch that still runs at 60fps I think we'll be just fine.

And yes, I do think there is something wrong with even a solid 30fps in a first person shooter, and I think Nintendo knows this. Most of their games are 60, the only exceptions tend to be slower paced games like Luigi's Mansion.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, LM3 is a massive leap up from Dark Moon in so many ways. The ONLY thing I miss is the 3D. Of all the games in 3DS, Dark Moon was my favorite to play in 3D

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if those floor reflections are screen space, watch the scene from 9:40, you can see the soles of Luigi's feet reflected, but nothing of the steps. Could be a billboard impostor type?

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the game last Friday and yes, it's a real stunner. Looks fantastic and the gameplay is even better imo!

Did they say this from old videos or since playing the release? The comment makes zero sense.

I'll admit that maybe the first cutscene of driving to the mansion was a tad weak visually - Luigi felt like the standout development effort. But just about every single room/floor from that point forward has had me grinning. It's absolutely eye candy.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

If anyone who has played this game likes what they see, go play Dark Moon. If you can get past the mission structure (and the mostly kinda bad boss battles *cough*) you'll find another game very much worthy of your time.
No doubt impressive for a 3ds game but, nobody really was surprised anymore by the 240p graphics of that system at the time of Dark Moons release, its understandable

Here Luigis Mansion is at least comparable to current gen games

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Not surprised! Unless I am misremembering, I do recall seeing a GC Luigi's mansion title, and it looked just as lovely. Nintendo are really good at polishing their titles, that is for certain.

Oct 25, 2017
I am playing Dark Moon and I am absolutely impressed by the animation quality, it is really impressive.

I really need to finish it to get to LM3.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
still don't understand how the people at Kinda Funny could say that the game looks bad (even as far as saying it must have been a 3ds game first).

lol, there's a reason I don't pay attention to them. That statement is absolutely absurd. LM3 looks fantastic and is easily one of the best looking Switch games.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Haha. I'd like it to be 60 but something has to give and in a graphically impressive FPS I think it will be framerate personally.

Hopefully by the time it's out (probably 2022) there will be a Switch Pro or Switch 2 released that can run it at 60 :P
Retro will keep prioritizing gameplay over graphics as they have been in all their games

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
Game is downright gorgeous. It's easy to forget that it's running on a portable chip if you play it mainly docked. Very impressive output by NLG.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The first Metroid Prime is still a pretty game IMO. If they take that template and just make a prettier version of that on Switch that still runs at 60fps I think we'll be just fine.

And yes, I do think there is something wrong with even a solid 30fps in a first person shooter, and I think Nintendo knows this. Most of their games are 60, the only exceptions tend to be slower paced games like Luigi's Mansion.
He has a small point tbf Nintendo has been getting more 30fps on their Switch games (30fps Kirby :X 30fps Platinum action game :X sub 30fps Fire Emblem :X) we can't be totally sure anymore.

But for Metroid i believe they will stick to 60, no Metroid so far has been less than that

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I totally agree. I want the Trilogy in 900/1080p too.

Most of Nintendo's output so far on Switch in terms of larger budget games has been a mix of WiiU ports like MK8D, Tropical Freeze and Captain Toad or games that use very similar engines / looks to their WiiU predecessors like Splatoon 2 and Smash 5. The brand new games that target 60fps use aggressively low resolutions (Yoshi's Crafted World) or dynamic resolutions which still can't hold 60fps (Super Mario Odyssey).

I'm not for one minute saying this to demean the Switch. It's my main console platform and some of the things it pulls off are absolutely incredible but the hardware is what it is and when you're making a graphically impressive game in a franchise like Metroid Prime in the HD era with modern shaders and effects in an almost certainly large World with complex geometry then something is going to have to give and imo it will be a halving of the framerate so that it can compete visually with the other big AAA shooters on the market.

It will be 600p/30fps in handheld mode and 900p/30fps in docked mode with very, very impressive visuals and cinematography imo. Hopefully a Switch Pro / 2 is out by the time it launches which will offer a 1080/60 mode while docked.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Its a great looking game. It looks better and better the further up the tower you get. Playing on a 4K set with the mclassic which to be honest isnt really needed but it does clean some jaggies up.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
It's stunning, full stop.
I'm still jaw dropped at both the lighting and the insane amount of interactive physics. I'm not sure I thought Switch was even capable of this. And a great game to boot :)

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
This game doesn't even look good. No RTX reflections no destruction. I can make demo like this in UE4 within a week.

Such a lovely looking game. Unfortunately I don't have a switch but it's been a long time since I saw visuals trust evoke this much charm. Nintendo are truly masters of this craft

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Yeah, really lovely looking game.

Interesting to see DF was impressed, because my feeling is that the game looks nice not so much because of tech, but just due to a lot hard work from Next Level. Like, the game's animations aren't cutting edge in any way -- there's just a LOT of them and they're very carefully done. This is what a team just polishing for years looks like. Nice to know there's some good tech underlying it all, too.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Come on man, I just started Astral Chain, got Mario Odyssey waiting as well and now this too? 😢

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing coop with my gf on this for the past several nights and as someone used to 4k gaming I'm seriously impressed with how nice this looks and all the physics interactions. This is the sort of game I've been wanting to see wrt more advanced physics. Control has a lot of impressive bits too but the physics model in this is fantastic on its own.

Haven't finished it yet but most impressive bits so far have been
getting the weed whacker that lets you pretty much destroy almost anything in a given room and the Egyptian themed level with all the sand puzzles. The sand physics behave in such a satisfying way.

Such a great game.