• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
not after you prove why prime 4 is running 30fps instead of 60

I say it because of the history of how previous ambitious games run like Zelda, Xenoblade and now Luigi's mansion. Multiplats like Doom and Overwatch even worse running at 30fps while the other versions run at 60fps. The most demanding and impressive games have been 30fps. I expect Prime 4 to push the hardware similarly so how are they going to double the framerate? I don't think it is a poor take to think future games will have similar constraints. Semantics. I have no proof, but I think it's more likely than not. Now you tell me my why you think it will be 60fps.

I say it because of the history of how previous ambitious games run like Zelda, Xenoblade and now Luigi's mansion. Multiplats like Doom and Overwatch even worse running at 30fps while the other versions run at 60fps. The most demanding and impressive games have been 30fps. I expect Prime 4 to push the hardware similarly so how are they going to double the framerate? I don't think it is a poor take to think future games will have similar constraints. Semantics. I have no proof, but I think it's more likely than not. Now you tell me my why you think it will be 60fps.
How did the first two Prime games be among the best looking games on the Gamecube and still run at 60 fps? Prime 3 doing the same on Wii? It takes a lot of talent to do such a thing, but there's little to suggest that Retro has lost their step in that regard.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of those games are Metroid Prime. You'll have to try again.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so you have no proof, then wtf was the point?

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
30fps. Automatically makes tech here unimpressive.
This is a
fresh-shiitake-mushroom-500x500.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
How did the first two Prime games be among the best looking games on the Gamecube and still run at 60 fps? Prime 3 doing the same on Wii? It takes a lot of talent to do such a thing, but there's little to suggest that Retro has lost their step in that regard.

None of those games are Metroid Prime. You'll have to try again.

That's not particularly strong argument. There hasn't been MP in forever. What happened on the Gamecube and Wii is irrelevant.

so you have no proof, then wtf was the point?

So you are butthurt that I didn't qualify that this was my opinion not fact? I thought that would be obvious.

That's not particularly strong argument. There hasn't been MP in forever. What happened on the Gamecube and Wii is irrelevant.
How so? What Retro did with those games was especially impressive for how they pushed the hardware with the amount of effects they had on display in the heaviest of combat situations, the high level of detail in the environments that even went as far as having bespoke elements in virtually every room of the game that aren't repeated elsewhere, and maintaining a rather steady and speedy framerate on top of all that. What exactly has changed since Prime 3 that can't possibly be done on the Switch hardware, especially as a ground-up title and not a game that has its origins on more powerful hardware?

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017

So you are butthurt that I didn't qualify that this was my opinion not fact? I thought that would be obvious.
Retro has never made a non 60fps game. They've said in the past that it is very important to maintain that.

Oct 25, 2017
ok so trolling with childish insults

I'm not trolling. I gave legit, rational reasons why I believed that. You on the other hand have provided nothing. You could have just disagreed and moved on.

Retro has never made a non 60fps game. They've said in the past that it is very important to maintain that.

Well that's a reason to believe that it will target 60fps. I'll be very interested to see how it goes.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Damn no AO in portable mode.. this might be the 1st game since Zelda that I'll play 50/50 docked (have been 100% portable ever since)... how's the HD rumble? Luigi's Mansion Gamecube had fantastic rumble although much of its coolness was also related to the analog triggers controlling the progressive power of the poltergust which are missing here.

I might ditch the Lite play in favor of OG Switch docked, usually AO makes everything more 3Dimensional and adds the depth necessary to fool you into a great CGI look. Are there direct feed comparison shots between portable and docked?
It has AO in portable mode. It's apparently just a little different than the docked AO.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Amazing!

Just think how far the CG look could go in a LM4 on a next-gen Nintendo console that did not rely on mobile Maxwell hardware from 2015 but a decent custom Nvidia GPU designed in 2020/2021.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
None of us know what the framerate will be. But you bring up other ambitious Switch titles being 30fps, and I bring up Retro's history of 60fps; not just in Metroid Prime, but the DKC games too (and those games are graphically gorgeous). I could see it going either way, but I do think there's an easy chance that it could be 60 based on Retro's prior output and evidence that Switch can do great looking 60fps games like Super Mario Odyssey, DKC Tropical Freeze, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Oct 25, 2017
None of us know what the framerate will be. But you bring up other ambitious Switch titles being 30fps, and I bring up Retro's history of 60fps; not just in Metroid Prime, but the DKC games too (and those games are graphically gorgeous). I could see it going either way, but I do think there's an easy chance that it could be 60 based on Retro's prior output and evidence that Switch can do great looking 60fps games like Super Mario Odyssey, DKC Tropical Freeze, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

I can agree with this. Thanks for not jumping down my throat just because I posted my honest opinion on how I thought a game would run.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Here are a few images I took of the game.

You can see the realtime shadow of Luigi here

iUB1gRJ.jpg

I love all of the colour in this game

tGxAT9W.jpg

ZbqtAM5.jpg

c4aAPfV.jpg

The light illuminates the pile of leaves from behind

khknPys.jpg

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Always a shame (but understandable) when DF can't play through the whole game or later parts, specially when things change a bit and they never cover this.

Like the person above me already posted, the later areas are pretty spectacular too.

3WwM3yu.jpg

j1u2XXr.jpg

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Always a shame (but understandable) when DF can't play through the whole game or later parts, specially when things change a bit and they never cover this.

Like the person above me already posted, the later areas are pretty spectacular too.

The grass effect are so well done here. I also like the effect on the grass from when you jump.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Dark1x i think DF should get a GOTY TGA award tbh. You leave nothing to dissect even retro games. What's next? You gonna make a Nokia 3310 Snake analysis? XD
Your game dedication is beyond the bounds of the normal.
Really amazing job you are doing. Kudos.

Nov 3, 2017

Like the person above me already posted, the later areas are pretty spectacular

I love DF but I have to say that their content output for Switch this year has been disappointing. We have had some of the most technically interesting games for this console come out this year but DF either covers the games very briefly or doesn't cover it at all.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dark1x i think DF should get a GOTY TGA award tbh. You leave nothing to dissect even retro games. What's next? You gonna make a Nokia 3310 Snake analysis? XD
Your game dedication is beyond the bounds of the normal.
Really amazing job you are doing. Kudos.
Thanks. Maybe it IS time for that 3310 Snake analysis....

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Yup I can totally agree on this one the game looks freaking beautiful on my 4K TV(55" q70r)
especially the grass/garden level with all the blades of grass. Im going to floor 9 wich is the museum so it only can get better
. It basically looks like an animation. But i see no stairstepping like digital foundry mentioned (at least not from my seeting position).

Holy shit that level was beautiful. Especially when you use the chainsaw and cut down everything like it's a weed wacker.

The museum was beautiful too. But I'd say the boiler floor looks the most technical with so many items around that's detailed.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. Maybe it IS time for that 3310 Snake analysis....

Oh wow. I will be watching it second 0. :D
Anyway, joking aside, it was the most played game in the early 2000s, I and the whole world were playing it. at that time. It was what brought many to mobile/cellphone gaming alongside the most advanced mobile game bythen whichw as Space Impact.
I think who ever did Space Impact should have invested in current-gen or even next-gen version of this game with advanced story and gameplay and graphics. It had so much potential. It could dethrone Star Citizen if realized.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Just the sound. Maybe one day DF will invent in a Dolby Atmos set up and start giving the sound in games some credit.
Have to say mind, this is the best looking Switch game yet.

DF doing HDR videos, if they invest in dissecting sounds and reeleasing videos in Dolby Atmos or 3D sound or whatever Sony is doing with PS5, then this would become the temple of video games.

Actually by watching their analysis of this game, they made me really want to play this game.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
DF doing HDR videos, if they invest in dissecting sounds and reeleasing videos in Dolby Atmos or 3D sound or whatever Sony is doing with PS5, then this would become the temple of video games.

Be nice if DF weren't so focused on graphics and also gave the sound design in games some credit. I don't want to sound like (pardon the pun) Tomy Tallarico here I just like to see sound design getting more credit and I tire of the hardware work sound designers getting overlooked.

And yes HDR support needs to be brought back too, more so as to both my TV and mobile support it LOL

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Be nice if DF weren't so focused on graphics and also gave the sound design in games some credit. I don't want to sound like (pardon the pun) Tomy Tallarico here I just like to see sound design getting more credit and I tire of the hardware work sound designers getting overlooked.

And yes HDR support needs to be brought back too, more so as to both my TV and mobile support it LOL

There are phones that have HDR displays like high end TVs? Which ones?

Jun 2, 2019

I want them to tackle sound design too but we must admit that showing the results would be so much harder to appreciate.

While everyone has a decent quality screen these days, the same can't be said about sound setups, so if we take, for example, a Codemasters racing game (wich always excel at sound design) someone with a 5.1 set will be able not only to notice every single sound detail, but also experience them via positional audio (and Codies' positional audio design IS awesome), while someone with a good 2.1 set up will notice these details is a much more flat manner and those who use their TVs' speakers will lose half of them.

There's no reason to do it if only a small percentage of people will be able to appreciate DF's effort without spending prohibitive amounts of money.

I mean, you have to put on at least 100 € to get decent sound results, i'm using a Creative Stage 2.1 soundbar on my TV and my Trust GXT Dion headset for positional audio (No space for a 5.1 speaker set anymore) and the difference with my TV's speakers is night and day. Too much detail lost.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
I want them to tackle sound design too but we must admit that showing the results would be so much harder to appreciate.

One can talk of the super high-quality sound effects in COD or in games like Shadow Of the Tomb Raider at the start of the sound is only coming through one channel as soon as you escape the cave cavern all the sound floods the room to give the impression of escape.

It's always about the graphics or game engine