• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
It's one of the best looking games of the generation and it's trully impressive that it achieves that running on a Switch.

As good as images can make it look, it's the animation quality what makes it go even beyond... trully masterful.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
?
Mobile phones have supported HDR for ages. My Google Pixel 3XL and the boy's Galaxy X9 support it. Loads of models do
AFAIK this is not the same HDR that current TVS have, it's HDRi (HDR imagery) whcih has been there for ages, it's there to mimic the HDR behaviour and results from real life through algorithms and not with real hardware and screens like with current TVs (hence their price) it's like how HDR has been supported by games in graphical settings to mimic the eye behaviour when gong from dark places to well lit places like by the sun and getting dazzled by it. It's good effect but not as good and put in emphasis unelss you have the dedicated screen that supports it natively.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
AFAIK this is not the same HDR that current TVS have, it's HDRi (HDR imagery) whcih has been there for ages, it's there to mimic the HDR behaviour and results from real life through algorithms and not with real hardware and screens like with current TVs (hence their price) it's like how HDR has been supported by games in graphical settings to mimic the eye behaviour when gong from dark places to well lit places like by the sun and getting dazzled by it. It's good effect but not as good and put in emphasis unelss you have the dedicated screen that supports it natively.

It's a mobile phone once can't expect it to be the same as my LG Oled. Viewing HDR vids on the phone still looks better than without.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HDR has been a thing on a phone and not pseudo HDR, I got it on my S9+ and it's on par with my LG OLEDs (s9 has oled screen too). You can easily check it using HDR content from Netflix

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
It's not, Switch games doesn't look good on my oled 4k set, they just look a gen older when you're used to ps4 pro/pc that's why I just play it mainly handheld outside of indies and kid games like minecraft

Well, maybe you need to check that TV set then if they look worse there than in handheld mode... You will probably think Luigi's Mansion 3 looks bad if you believe Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Mario Oddysey or Smash Ultimate for naming a few look "bad". That doesn't mean they do, of course.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Well, maybe you need to check that TV set then if they look worse there than in handheld mode... You will probably think Luigi's Mansion 3 looks bad if you believe Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Mario Oddysey or Smash Ultimate for naming a few look "bad". That doesn't mean they do, of course.

If you game on PS4 Pro and PC primarily the step down to Switch is going to be noticeable. That said, most people here forget what 7th gen games actually looked like. Most Switch exclusive look a good deal better while boasting better effects and higher resolutions.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I deserve a small slap on the wrist for not being impressed by the graphics during the initial announcement. I didn't think it looked THAT good compared to the original Gamecube demo. Clearly I was wrong.
It's truly an animated CG movie in video game form. The fact that everything is interactive (I really appreciate that in games, and most of the time only Nintendo nails this) is even more impressive. The animation is also some of the very best of the industry along with Naughty Dog.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
If you game on PS4 Pro and PC primarily the step down to Switch is going to be noticeable. That said, most people here forget what 7th gen games actually looked like. Most Switch exclusive look a good deal better while boasting better effects and higher resolutions.

Saying "finally a good looking game from Switch" is just trolling. Doesn't matter how you want to dress it.If you don't think Mario Kart, Oddysey or Tropical Freeze look good, then obviously Luigi's Mansion 3 won't look for you either because there is not generational leap between them. So, it's clear what that message wanted to express...

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Saying "finally a good looking game from Switch" is just trolling. Doesn't matter how you want to dress it.

That's not trolling lol. That's a dude's opinion.

Many Switch games look great in 4K OLED and if you don't think Mario Kart, Oddysey or Tropical Freeze look good, then obviously Luigi's Mansion 3 won't look for you either because there is not generational leap between them. So, it's clear what that message wanted to express...

Dude, Mario Kart and Tropical Freeze are just 1080p WiiU games. They dont boast the modern effects work of current generation games Switch or otherwise. Odyssey is not a looker imo and not running at 1080p will also cause it to not scale nicely on 4k sets. Smash Ultimate is the only one you mentioned where I think it works nicely with a 4K set while still being a much more modern looking game.

This isn't to say I dont think there are any Switch games that look good on 4k sets personally. But I dont think its surprising that there are people who if their standard is PS4 Pro and PC that there would be a limited amount of Switch games they find graphically appealing.

Jun 2, 2019
Saying "finally a good looking game from Switch" is just trolling. Doesn't matter how you want to dress it.If you don't think Mario Kart, Oddysey or Tropical Freeze look good, then obviously Luigi's Mansion 3 won't look for you either because there is not generational leap between them. So, it's clear what that message wanted to express...

Yeah, i can open my drawer, take a random Switch game and it will most likely be a good looking game.

Hell, MarioxRabbids no less

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I deserve a small slap on the wrist for not being impressed by the graphics during the initial announcement. I didn't think it looked THAT good compared to the original Gamecube demo. Clearly I was wrong.
It's truly an animated CG movie in video game form. The fact that everything is interactive (I really appreciate that in games, and most of the time only Nintendo nails this) is even more impressive. The animation is also some of the very best of the industry along with Naughty Dog.

I thought so too, I was completely unimpressed.

I need to remind myself that Nintendo games are always, like always much better in the technical department than the first they are presented, even if it's just a few months from release.

Jun 2, 2019
Haven't played Luigi's Mansion 3 yet but Mario + Rabbids was/is the best looking Switch game imo up to this point. Its a flat out gorgeous game.

Luigi's Mansion is a different flavor than the colorful and whimsical MarioxRabbids. They sit in different thrones imo.

Think american spooky (as in, childishly spooky) CGI movie vs french colorful CGI movie.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got nearly all first party, it's just the aliasing isn't good. It's underwhelming as a console so I rather not waste my hdmi slot

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have 4 slots on my hdmi, Pro, X, Nvidia Shield and our cable of course gonna prioritize things

Jan 21, 2019
Uh but they're not wrong.

This game is easily as gorgeous as any other game out there, the hell you talking about?

RE2 looks incredible but so does this.

Yeah, I was expecting people to act like that. Like it diminishes capcoms achievement by calling a game on a weaker system just as impressive.

Guess they would also not understand why Silent Hill 3 today still blows my mind the same way DMC 5 does.

This isn't a zero some game peopley you can appreciate stuff for different reasons and be just as impressed. And I stand by my words I wouldn't question the visuals of this game on a PS4.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I have 4 slots on my hdmi, Pro, X, Nvidia Shield and our cable of course gonna prioritize things
It's true. I really wish Digital Foundry would analyze games on a scale of how valuable they are to my precious HDMI slot real estate. The 10 minute video in the OP, which no doubt both of us have watched, makes no mention of this and it's very disappointing.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It does look super pretty and makes the most of the tech inside the Switch. Since the maps are all super small rooms, the devs can really push the artstyle and interactive elements to make the most of the relatively limited hardware.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They did some early prototyping on Wii U, I doubt that affected the final product in any way though.
I bet the idea of the Virtual Boo was a carry over of it starting as a Wii U game. I can imagine the Gamepad screen always being red like the VB and having to hold it up to your face like Luigi does when using it.

I particularly don't like the VB because all that red hurts my eyes.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
I'm the first person to complain about how awful the majority of Switch games look on a TV... but this game actually looks great! Having a blast.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
If only the hw is more powerful for adaptive tessellation. They can round off all the sharp edges then the game would really look like a Cg movie.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Yeah, I was expecting people to act like that. Like it diminishes capcoms achievement by calling a game on a weaker system just as impressive.

Guess they would also not understand why Silent Hill 3 today still blows my mind the same way DMC 5 does.

This isn't a zero some game peopley you can appreciate stuff for different reasons and be just as impressed. And I stand by my words I wouldn't

100%.

Church.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
This is a
fresh-shiitake-mushroom-500x500.jpg
Nice :)

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Lol what's happening in this video?"it looks bad","it looks like a 3ds game"....wait what?ah ah ah !
Yea, i was like WUT!! i played though the first 8 floors and the game looks gorgeous on my 55 inch 4k tv. This could mean 2 things, The guys at Kindafunny have a tv with an awful upscaler(sadly they still exist) or thee is something wrong with their glasses or something(not an insult fyi)

Sounds like their tvs need to be calibrated.
I have a 55 inch Q70r and that has not been calibrated, and the game looks sharp and super colorful. So it must be the upscaler in their tv.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
30fps. Automatically makes tech here unimpressive.
giphy.gif

Uh but they're not wrong.

This game is easily as gorgeous as any other game out there, the hell you talking about?

RE2 looks incredible but so does this.

Agreed!

This is probably the most impressive looking game I've seen this year.
The colors, lighting , physics, detail it all just comes together so well.
Brilliant game and it deserved a higher Meta Score!

Last edited:

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I totally agree. I want the Trilogy in 900/1080p too.

Most of Nintendo's output so far on Switch in terms of larger budget games has been a mix of WiiU ports like MK8D, Tropical Freeze and Captain Toad or games that use very similar engines / looks to their WiiU predecessors like Splatoon 2 and Smash 5. The brand new games that target 60fps use aggressively low resolutions (Yoshi's Crafted World) or dynamic resolutions which still can't hold 60fps (Super Mario Odyssey).

I'm not for one minute saying this to demean the Switch. It's my main console platform and some of the things it pulls off are absolutely incredible but the hardware is what it is and when you're making a graphically impressive game in a franchise like Metroid Prime in the HD era with modern shaders and effects in an almost certainly large World with complex geometry then something is going to have to give and imo it will be a halving of the framerate so that it can compete visually with the other big AAA shooters on the market.

It will be 600p/30fps in handheld mode and 900p/30fps in docked mode with very, very impressive visuals and cinematography imo. Hopefully a Switch Pro / 2 is out by the time it launches which will offer a 1080/60 mode while docked.

I mean if we are getting Wii U games (for instance Mario Kart 8) running at Switch at 1080p, and even games like Zelda WW/TP HD that are 1080p on Wii U, its very safe bet to say that Metroid Prime Trilogy (that are GC/Wii games), would/will be 1080p/60fps games on Switch with some other graphical improvements.

For Metroid Prime 4, I expecting 800-900p/60fps for docked.

I say it because of the history of how previous ambitious games run like Zelda, Xenoblade and now Luigi's mansion. Multiplats like Doom and Overwatch even worse running at 30fps while the other versions run at 60fps. The most demanding and impressive games have been 30fps. I expect Prime 4 to push the hardware similarly so how are they going to double the framerate? I don't think it is a poor take to think future games will have similar constraints. Semantics. I have no proof, but I think it's more likely than not. Now you tell me my why you think it will be 60fps.

Expecting that Prime 4 will be 30 fps game is similar like expecting that Smash Bros or Mario Kart would be 30 fps games,
I dont saying its impossible that Prime 4 will be 30 fps game, just thats highly unlikely.

I think Prime 4 is going to be a Switch 2 title, for for the current Switch Luigi is the best looking Nintendo published game I'd say. Lets see if BOTW2 or the next 3D Mario can top it.

Prime 4 is certainly coming to current Switch, but most likely will come come to Switch 2 also (in some way).

Last edited:

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if we are getting Wii U games (for instance Mario Kart 8) running at Switch at 1080p, and even games like Zelda WW/TP HD that are 1080p on Wii U, its very safe bet to say that Metroid Prime Trilogy (that are GC/Wii games), would/will be 1080p/60fps games on Switch with some other graphical improvements.

For Metroid Prime 4, I expecting 800-900p/60fps for docked.

Expecting that Prime 4 will be 30 fps game is similar like expecting that Smash Bros or Mario Kart would be 30 fps games,
I dont saying its impossible that Prime 4 will be 30 fps game, just thats highly unlikely.

Prime 4 is certainly coming to current Switch, but most likely will come come to Switch 2 also (in some way).
Im still firmly in the iterative hardware camp. Developing for Switch and Switch 2 is not going to be like porting a game to a new system. More like tinkering with the settings in a pc game. May even use the same SKU and the same game card.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Im still firmly in the iterative hardware camp. Developing for Switch and Switch 2 is not going to be like porting a game to a new system. More like tinkering with the settings in a pc game. May even use the same SKU and the same game card.

Not just only that, but its almost certain that Switch 2 will have backward compatibility with Switch 1 games,
so yeah, same games that are enchanted for Switch 2.