• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 10, 2018
I mean, any time there's a difference that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, and a location has a different mood, I can always understand why people might have a preference scene by scene.

But when you remember that RTX doesn't require any kind of scene by scene tweaking, and comes out looking much better more often than not, I think excitement is warranted.

I think the thing I like most about it, is just how *different* it looks, in a more accurate way. Like I haven't played much of the other Metro games (played each for a handful of hours) but the realtime GI in this really makes it stand out aesthetically. Again, you're going to have preference. Realism isn't always going to be warranted or desireable.

But the overall mood of the game is definitely helped by the technique here even if it isn't as obviously flashy or showy as real time reflections in BF5. It makes the lighting *more* subtle I think, which definitely won't be for everyone.

I get excited over moving from

This.

maxresdefault.jpg

To this
Red-Dead-Redemption-2-forest-gameplay.jpg

Or to a lesser extent moving from uncharted 4 to TLOU2.

These RT implications are like getting a res boost, it's nice but it's not something I'm getting excited over.

I'm more excited about cyberpunks Npc amount and complexity.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019

This.

maxresdefault.jpg

To this

These RT implications are like getting a res boost, it's nice but it's not something I'm getting excited over.

Well yes - a large part of the reason RD2 looks so much better is all the techniques utilized to get far better lighting.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017

This.

maxresdefault.jpg

To this

It is almost as if the lighting is significantly better.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Geez that's huge. I mean, I doubt many games will use it like most fancy tech used to sell video cards. But I hope I'm wrong.

I wonder if the Pro and X version updates of the next generation consoles will have raytracing vs no race tracing on the standard consoles.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

This.

maxresdefault.jpg

To this

That is cherry picked as hell, blurry gameplay shot of GTAV probably from youtube & pre-release touched up shot of RDR2.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
This is next - next gen for consoles

Unless next gen are packing RTX 2080ti levels of performance.

Looks amazing ray tracing is the real deal looks incredible.

But does it run metro exodus is the new benchmark

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
True, but compare RDR2 to Ray traced games and the returns are greatly diminished, in comparison to my comparison.

Also I think uncharted 4 to TLOU2 is a greater improvement. Then turning on RTX in BF5, metro.

You think rockstar would've went with Ray tracing if it were as mature as some of the techniques devs use now?

Feb 10, 2018
Yeah, lets compare a 2005 Console game (360) to a 2017 Console game (1X), a 12 year difference, versus GTX 1000 series to RTX 2000 series, 2 year difference.

Hey, I'm just giving examples of the kind of leaps I find exciting.
And for your information GTA5 came out in 2013 on last gen.

Also I find this far more impressive the RTX.

I think this is not using Ray tracing.

You think rockstar would've went with Ray tracing if it were as mature as some of the techniques devs use now?

Yes, I think they would of, overall RT is the superior tech.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I so far do not understand the arguments presented hear, revolving around a couple of screenshots, and entirely ignoring the nature of the scene in real time, any dynamic variables such as time of day, clouds coverage, environment / scenes / events.

It does seem like the discussion here is more platform / vendor bait than actually discussing global illumination and this implementation of ray tracing

Because for a lot of people, this stuff is basically just an arms race for technology for their chosen platform.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
That RT lighting looks so good, especially the part with the small hut and the lighting just changing due to the crack in the roof leaking in light.

Nov 1, 2017
15:47:
(Ray-Tracing) offers a holistic solution to many problems. It starts to simulate light instead of emulating its effects after the fact.

That is a fantastic quote! It's easy to see why the possibilities of Ray-Tracing are so exciting. It will be interesting to see games use this technology in the years to come. That being said, with how computationally demanding it is to achieve (at the moment), it does make me wonder if we'll see it in the next-gen consoles.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

Yes, I think they would of, overall RT is the superior tech.

GTAV was running on 2005 hardware the 360, RDR2 on 1X is 2017 hardware, that's a 12 year leap, GTX to RTX is only 2 years, obviously real time ray tracing is going to be in baby steps right now, but give it a few more years, then devs can go crazy with it, ray traced shadows, reflections, improved GI, etc

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Seems more like they dont have amazing standard lighting / AO then OMG RAY TRACING!!!!!! to me.
The amazing standard lighting you talk of isn't based on tech, it's mainly artists putting in hard work to approximate what raytracing is able to do here. This is just a hut that's off the main path and with raytracing on it looks as good as the best lighting ever faked in a completely rasterized game.
You can also read plenty of impressions of people playing the game without RTX on (for example on console) and see how the lighting doesn't come up as a criticism ever. It's just looking bad compared to RTX, but not something that looks out of place in any modern title.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
No.

Try playing GTA5 on ps3/360, then play RDR2 on a pro/1X and the leap is gargantuan.
I fail to see how that minimizes the impact of RTX however. You're arguing against its impact by...comparing multi-generational releases with massively huge budgets, whereas we're seeing a huge difference with a feature added into an existing game done by a relatively small studio.

I mean sure, Nvidia's presentation of 'it just works' is hyperbole as there are many optimizations you have to do, and traditional lighting methods will still need to be done as the vast majority of the gaming populace won't have RTX. But the fact that can get these results in Exodus by an added-on feature speaks volumes I think. You can watch the DF video for RDR2 and note the huge amount of different graphical approaches born out from a decade+ of advancement in this area they had to use to try and get that improved lighting - which still doesn't operate as naturally as the RTX lighting in Exodus which is using RTX and one ray bounce.

Feb 10, 2018
I fail to see how that minimizes the impact of RTX however. You're arguing against its impact by...comparing multi-generational releases with massively huge budgets, whereas we're seeing a huge difference with a feature added into an existing game done by a relatively small studio.

I mean sure, Nvidia's presentation of 'it just works' is hyperbole as there are many optimizations you have to do, and traditional lighting methods will still need to be done as the vast majority of the gaming populace won't have RTX. But the fact that can get these results in Exodus by an added-on feature speaks volumes I think. You can watch the DF video for RDR2 and the huge amount of different graphical approaches they have to take to try and get that lighting which still doesn't operate as naturally as the RTX lighting in Exodus.

GTAV was running on 2005 hardware the 360, RDR2 on 1X is 2017 hardware, that's a 12 year leap, GTX to RTX is only 2 years, obviously real time ray tracing is going to be in baby steps right now, but give it a few more years, then devs can go crazy with it, ray traced shadows, reflections, improved GI, etc

It Has nothing to do with my comparison anyway, so I don't know why you are even mentioning this.
There is no governing boundaries that dictate what I can be excited by when it comes to the topic of videogame graphics.

Some people are excited by these Ray traced implementations, and I'm not.
I gave an example of the type of improvement that I find exciting.
I am not trying to prove anything, simply giving my opinion.

"level of excitement" is not the same for everybody.

Last edited:

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
This is a question I've been dying to ask. What is 1440p exactly? Every time I think I'm trying this setting in games on my TV I'm choosing (I think) something like 1080x1440 and it's always letterboxed and squished. Is that the wrong resolution and does this 1440p only appear selectable on certain TV's? Or is 1440p the 3840x2160 setting I usually choose? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I've never been able to use this 1440p everyone talks about unless I'm a complete moron and have been missing it. I've only ever been able to choose 1080p or the 3840 one, everything else just gives me letterboxed squishyness.
I may as well clarify a bit with some common HD 16:9 resolutions:

720p - 1280x720 - officially this is the HD resolution, but people just call it 720p
900p - 1600x900 - designated HD+, but that name is very rarely used
1080p - 1920x1080 - designated FHD, Full HD
1440p - 2560x1440 - designated QHD, Quad HD (since it's 4x the pixel count of HD/720p), while the QHD name is rarely used, 1440p is a fairly common resolution for PC monitors
1800p - 3200x1800 - designated QHD+ (4x the pixel count of 900p), if there's any monitor/tv with this resolution at all, it's very rare, but some games on consoles could target this and be upscaled to 4K
2160p - 3840x2160 - known as 4K, also designated as UHD (Ultra HD), but everyone just calls it 4K, it's 4x the pixel count of 1080p

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
This game looks already better than TLoU2 - I mean when every single option is turned on.. TLoU2 is going to have better animations and better looking characters, mainly facial animations and lip sync, but everything else impressed me in Metro more compared to the trailers of TLoU2

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019

It's a single close-up of a character. We saw those demos in the PS2 era and were blown away then - actual games were somewhat of a different story. It's not reflective of how games as a whole will actually look when you increase the complexity 10 fold, even if you had the processing power the budget alone to make every character in a game have that level of detail + animation expression would be cost prohibitive for all but the biggest AAA studios. Having a single head floating in a black space is wholly different than a host of characters that have to intersect with varying lighting in an environment.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I may as well clarify a bit with some common HD 16:9 resolutions:

720p - 1280x720 - officially this is the HD resolution, but people just call it 720p
900p - 1600x900 - designated HD+, but that name is very rarely used
1080p - 1920x1080 - designated FHD, Full HD
1440p - 2560x1440 - designated QHD, Quad HD (since it's 4x the pixel count of HD/720p), while the QHD name is rarely used, 1440p is a fairly common resolution for PC monitors
1800p - 3200x1800 - designated QHD+ (4x the pixel count of 900p), if there's any monitor/tv with this resolution at all, it's very rare, but some games on consoles could target this and be upscaled to 4K
2160p - 3840x2160 - known as 4K, it's 4x the pixel count of 1080p

Thanks for this. Also did some checking on my end and apparently some gaming laptops don't ship with this resolution included for some reason so I assume that's my case:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.di...ting/1440p-resolution-missing-in-laptops/amp/

Really weird but I can force it with Nvidia control panel so all is well. Still weird though. Thanks again

iamthatiam

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
i played 30 mins and i refuse to play on. until the day i swap my 1080 for a RTX so this game is gonna be on hold for 1-2 years for me. unless i give in. can't waste the gawdly grpx

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Happens all the time, I get it too, I'm sure I did the same in the past.
There's definitely fanboyism in these threads, but there is somewhat of a point to that. Tech is only going to excite people to the degree that they can actually utilize it, and right now RTX cards just have a limited market, due to price and being PC-only. When this is available in $400 consoles and games are designed around it from the outset we'll see far more people excited, as they actually have a chance of experiencing it.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I can only imagine the reactiosn this was get if the tech was implemented into The Last of Us 2

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
This is next - next gen for consoles

Unless next gen are packing RTX 2080ti levels of performance.

Looks amazing ray tracing is the real deal looks incredible.

But does it run metro exodus is the new benchmark
RTX 2060(GTX 1070Ti) seems to be doing quite well for 30fps and above and i think we have rumors that next gen machines will be in that ballpark GPU wise, so why not? Unless AMD has absolutely nothing on that front for their next architecture... even then there might be a surprise "sauce" put into custom console hardware by Sony/MS.

It's also "expensive tech" just because NVIDIA can do whatever the fuck they want with pricing atm.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Ok the RTX comparison at 16:00 blew my mind. Seeing how the light subtly bounces into the dark area just looks so incredibly natural.

It's a shame it takes so much power because it's an incredible effect.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Thanks for this. Also did some checking on my end and apparently some gaming laptops don't ship with this resolution included for some reason so I assume that's my case:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.di...ting/1440p-resolution-missing-in-laptops/amp/

Really weird but I can force it with Nvidia control panel so all is well. Still weird though. Thanks again
I guess the laptop makers are just expecting for people to use the native resolution (lately 4K has been rather common) and nothing lower, even though 1440p is a very useful resolution to have, since 4K is still too demanding in the more demanding games for most graphics cards (especially in laptops).
But at least it can still be forced, so all is good.

Feb 10, 2018
It's a single close-up of a character. We saw those demos in the PS2 era and were blown away then - actual games were somewhat of a different story. It's not reflective of how games as a whole will actually look when you increase the complexity 10 fold, even if you had the processing power the budget alone to make every character in a game have that level of detail + animation expression would be cost prohibitive for all but the biggest AAA studios. Having a single head floating in a black space is wholly different than a host of characters that have to intersect with varying lighting in an environment.

How do you know next gen games won't look like that?
And again I post that as an example of another technology that I find more exciting then raytracing.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Other games and engines solved problem areas like this a long time ago with ambient occlusion and other lighting tricks. In this case GI is fixing a problem that shouldn't really be there.
Those tricks become alot harder to handle and prone to flaws in a large map with a dynamic time of the day, which is the case with Metro Exodus without raytracing GI.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Other games and engines solved problem areas like this a long time ago with ambient occlusion and other lighting tricks. In this case GI is fixing a problem that shouldn't really be there.
But there are many methods of AO for a reason - it doesn't really 'fix' the problem universally by any means. VXAO in Rise of the Tomb Raider for example can provide dramatically better occlusion coverage than even HBAO+, but it comes at a performance impact almost at the level of adding in ray tracing.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It Has nothing to do with my comparison anyway, so I don't know why you are even mentioning this.
There is no governing boundaries that dictate what I can be excited by when it comes to the topic of videogame graphics.

Some people are excited by these Ray traced implementations, and I'm not.
I gave an example of the type of improvement that I find exciting.
I am not trying to prove anything, simply giving my opinion.

"level of excitement" is not the same for everybody.

I'm not interested in Ferrari engines because I like the difference between a horse and a Model T.