• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
God why don't all versions just use the dynamic resolution like the base Xbox One version. Seeing the only version with a dynamic resolution have solid performance is just frustrating.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
You're sending mixed messages here .. on one hand 1440p is an embarrassment .. on the other hand you want a dynamic scaling resolution .. which would mean it would go even lower than 1440p.
If other games with dynamic res on PS4 PRO are anything to go by, the resolution can vary from ~1600p to ~1080p generally when under maximum load. According to DF the PRO has largely stable 30 fps performance except in specific scenes where it drops quite hard but I find it hard to believe there isn't any more GPU headroom on the PRO that can be utilized in lesser demanding scenes. It just sounds to me they chose 1440p as a middle ground.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
It is impressive because this is a game running at native 4K on One X and looks better than a lot of games that can't run at 4K on One X despite looking worse.
I don't think this game looks great on console at all. It doesn't matter the version.

On PC this game is in another league..

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Lets hope that post day one patches fix & improve things as much as possible on PS4, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

Surprising that the base Xbox One version did not suffer as much as other recent games have (AC7, RDR2).

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yup. Very very frustrating that the gamma is messed up on the Xbox One X

This has got to be something OS related or some weird bug somewhere. I wasn't able to detect this during my testing and in fact my capture results were totally different and without this lost detail. We actually compared some of our captures before this video and my caps were totally different.

Lots of people (including DF were unable to resolve the left hand image in the gamma setup screen, no matter the setting)

xDmu-OQu.jpg

I on the other hand have not had this problem and here was a capture from a few days ago.

DF were getting this on their captures from Xbox One X/S
SPfkEI1I.jpg

After comparing lots of notes and settings all I could put it down to is a difference in OS version which is perhaps affecting black levels. I'm running one of the skip ahead alpha builds and they were testing on the public releases, so it's likely already fixed, just not released.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Nice, that should solve the black crush. Not sure why that wasn't mentioned in the video. Presumably the capture equipment is only SDR.

It's does have HDR and, in my experience, it still very much has black crush. Not ruining the game or anything but it's noticable. It's super dark and crushed but with very bright highlights. Just looks like the contrast has been pushed too far.

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
I guess i will wait for the steam version. The PS4Pro version simply isnt good enough for me. Hate framedrops and metro seems to have them constantly.

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting note about black crush. I think the Giant Bomb crew also mentioned in their quick look that they had issues with the gamma curve and having to crank it up to see things. Sounds like a bug somewhere.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Worth noting I think that I've had three lockup's so far on the 1X. Pretty much every time ive sat down to play. Definitely the buggiest game I've played in a while.

Apparently there's another patch coming for it and I've never lost too much progress but it's still a bummer.

Fun game so far other than that. Looks great.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
1440p to 2160p is quite a lot, curious if people are bothered by the big differences if they only bought the pro and not the x. I have them both but buy multi platform games on my pc and just use each for their exclusive games.

I think these types of performance differences would get me thinking about which next gen console I should go with if I could only have the one.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
That's fascinating re: the performance profile on the base XB1. The game is gorgeous everywhere.

This (seemingly) recent spat of a few Xbox games with weird darkness issues is surprising though. Without HDR, Crackdown 3 Campaign has this as well during nighttime scenes. I can't tell for sure if it's some just virtual exposure setting that doesn't play well in SDR or what, but it's annoying when it kicks in.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Exodus has polish issues everywhere on the Xbox version with the audio being even more troublesome. Honestly I was expecting much better from 4A at launch, this game needs 2 or 3 patches.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I pre ordered the X1X version digitally, but I think I'll be waiting until a patch or two releases. Shame that it seems to be so buggy.

Oct 26, 2017
This has got to be something OS related or some weird bug somewhere. I wasn't able to detect this during my testing and in fact my capture results were totally different and without this lost detail. We actually compared some of our captures before this video and my caps were totally different.

Lots of people (including DF were unable to resolve the left hand image in the gamma setup screen, no matter the setting)

xDmu-OQu.jpg

I on the other hand have not had this problem and here was a capture from a few days ago.

DF were getting this on their captures from Xbox One X/S
SPfkEI1I.jpg

After comparing lots of notes and settings all I could put it down to is a difference in OS version which is perhaps affecting black levels. I'm running one of the skip ahead alpha builds and they were testing on the public releases, so it's likely already fixed, just not released.

That's really strange then. I hope they will fix this. I haven't played the game a lot today, so far no crashes yet though. So it sounds like even Gamma at max won't fix it, damn.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
1440p to 2160p is quite a lot, curious if people are bothered by the big differences if they only bought the pro and not the x. I have them both but buy multi platform games on my pc and just use each for their exclusive games.

I think these types of performance differences would get me thinking about which next gen console I should go with if I could only have the one.

Doesn't bother me tbh, the game still looks fantastic on Pro from the videos I've watched, so not really a big deal.

I have a decent PC (i7, GTX 1070) and still got it for my Pro, so that shows how much it doesn't bother me lol I might pick up the PC version later on but I've been playing mostly on the sofa on my 4k TV recently. I can't be bothered to sit at my desk to play games at the moment when the sofa is more comfortable.

I'm sure it might bother some though.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018

I'm just more surprised that X has a 40% GPU advantage over Pro but still manages to punch well above that gap. That's what, 80% more pixels along with a slight performance edge?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just more surprised that X has a 40% GPU advantage over Pro but still manages to punch well above that gap. That's what, 80% more pixels along with a slight performance edge?

Well that happens when you only take one component into the equation. Too many people look at the GPU TFlop performance and think that is all they should consider. The "X" is an overall well designed system. Memory, Memory bandwidth in particular and some enhancements to the CPU along with the 6TF GPU is making these gaps.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know when that next patch is coming. I have not started the game yet, but just curious if they gave a time line for the next patch. Does the day 1 patch add in the Atmos on "X"?

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, that should solve the black crush. Not sure why that wasn't mentioned in the video. Presumably the capture equipment is only SDR.

Hm maybe. I assume they wouldn't want to minimize the issue either as HDR isn't a fix for everyone. Base Xbox One folks with HDR sets must not be very common.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
Doesn't bother me tbh, the game still looks fantastic on Pro from the videos I've watched, so not really a big deal.

I have a decent PC (i7, GTX 1070) and still got it for my Pro, so that shows how much it doesn't bother me lol I might pick up the PC version later on but I've been playing mostly on the sofa on my 4k TV recently. I can't be bothered to sit at my desk to play games at the moment when the sofa is more comfortable.

I'm sure it might bother some though.

My main gaming pc is setup on my TV but when I see posts like yours I think that next gen cpu upgrades and diminishing returns on Rasterisation that if the two consoles can guarantee 60fps and 4k then people will start to come back to console gaming more and more.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Well that happens when you only take one component into the equation. Too many people look at the GPU TFlop performance and think that is all they should consider. The "X" is an overall well designed system. Memory, Memory bandwidth in particular and some enhancements to the CPU along with the 6TF GPU is making these gaps.

I know about the CPU and memory advantage but I'm guilty of overlooking them when discussing the resolution.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
There is definately a problem with SDR output on the Xbox OS at the moment. I've actually found the issue and am just some more testing as the best course of action that players can take to solve it.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
My main gaming pc is setup on my TV but when I see posts like yours I think that next gen cpu upgrades and diminishing returns on Rasterisation that if the two consoles can guarantee 60fps and 4k then people will start to come back to console gaming more and more.

I do have my PC hooked up to a 40" TV (only 1080p) but it's still decent enough for a good gaming experience but it's definitely the comfort thing at the moment. Also my tower is way too big and heavy to move down stairs onto my 4k TV though, don't think the Mrs would be impressed lol

As for next gen, it will be interesting to see what kind of performance they will deliver. Obviously there will still be a gap between them and high end PC but if they can offer way more 60fps games with decent graphical settings, they should make people pretty happy.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Jesus Christ the tearing in the playstation platform...1440p resolution should be a given on Pro and see worst performance with intrusive tearing on Pro compared the dynamic 4k on the X leave me perplexed; lets no talk of the awful fps on ps4 in the taxing scene...the hell they did on both ps4 sku? Don't expect that disaster.

Last edited:

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

Even with a single part like the GPU, how they reach the flop count matters. Focusing on higher than normal clock speeds, more parts of the GPU will enjoy a boost in performance, rather than relying on extra CUs to reach that performance target.

Neither next gen console will be able to guarantee 4K60 next gen.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
The performance segment is mostly useless since the game performed the "worst" in the prologue, as in I actually noticed couple of dips on the XOX, DF seems to be making an issue out of this where there isn't one really, especially after the prologue is finished and the dips were far and between.

I'd be much more curious to see performance comparison in the open zones.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
There is definately a problem with SDR output on the Xbox OS at the moment.
Thank you! So HDR is not affected at the moment?

All logic and testing points towards HDR not being affected.
Exodus does use a really contrasty tone mapper (ACES I suspect) so there is a degree of darkness that people might perceive as black crush.

Last edited:

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You forget the larger bandwidth, the higher clocked gpu, the bigger RAM...in any case I wouldn't call it the best port ever on the playstation platform especially seeing the xbone base runs even better . It's not exactly the normality such stuff.

Feb 10, 2018
1440p is disappointing for a console advertised as a 4k machine.
4k is nice on the 1x, hope black crush issue is sorted.
Ouch at those framerate dips on all versions.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
1440p is disappointing for a console advertised as a 4k machine.
Pro is mainly advertised as a cbr hardware than a 4k machine. I think 1800cbr is quite comparable to 1440p on Pro in terms of hardware cost but many developers simply don't care about cbr. Of course is a sony fault too if developers prefer their solutions over the harwdare customisation. They should offer a better support. In any case the major frustration is the tearing. 1440p is absolutely tolerable but the tearing I see? Nope.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
Pro is mainly advertised as a cbr hardware than a 4k machine. I think 1800cbr is quite comparable to 1440p on Pro in terms of hardware cost but many developers simply don't care about cbr. Of course is a sony fault too if developers prefer their solutions over the harwdare customisation. They should offer a better support. In any case the major frustration is the tearing. 1440p is absolutely tolerable but the tearing I see? Nope.
"4k" and " 4k gaming" is shown on its marketing.

"Play the latest blockbuster games and PlayStation exclusives in stunning 4K"

That is taken from there website.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/ps4/ps4-pro/

897efa1a-a2db-43dd-936f-588e085ade36._CR0,0,1464,600_PT0_SX1464__.jpg

11208_2_f2983de4439c1a81468f95a69399a68f.jpg

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, the black crush is insane on X. I can't see the left part of the image no matter what I do. I'm playing on a b7 oled in hdr.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Native 4K and the better perfomance on X. So good to see a skilled developer delivering.
They only need to correct the black crush.