• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Just leave it in the middle, there is no black crush, that reference hasn't been updated for an HDR output.

Oh, dang, I'm guessing the tunnels are nearly supposed to be pitch black then without your flashlight? I get that it totally makes sense, but pitch black in games is a rarity these days. Thanks for the heads up.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Oh, dang, I'm guessing the tunnels are nearly supposed to be pitch black then without your flashlight? I get that it totally makes sense, but pitch black in games is a rarity these days. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah I think so, if you go into photo mode you can actually adjust the "gamma" live via the exposure option, you'll see that some areas no matter how bright you make it will not allow you to make them visible.
The game goes right down to insane 0 level code values, which on many displays will be really dark or OFF in the case of an OLED. That could be a case of some kind of black clipping in error, but it looks broadly the same in this regard in SDR (which isn't crushing for all users including myself)

Feb 10, 2018
Are you even trying to understand what I mean or you want just to get the reason?

You said "Pro is mainly advertised as a cbr hardware" which is not true, while there are "dynamic 4k" adverts for the Pro there is also a lot of adverts and wording from sony which call it just "4k gaming"

Which is different to what the xbox one S did, the S never claimed to be a 4k gaming system.

If you made a mistake that's fine, we all make mistakes.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You said "Pro is mainly advertised as a cbr hardware" which is not true, while there are "dynamic 4k" adverts for the Pro there is also a lot of adverts and wording from sony which call it just "4k gaming"

Which is different to what the xbox one S did, the S never claimed to be a 4k gaming system.

If you made a mistake that's fine, we all make mistakes.
I give up. Whatever feel you better. In any case UE4 games on xbox one X runs all in 1440p. And it's promote as a true 4k hardware by MS. Not sure what change, MS or Sony.

Last edited:

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think so, if you go into photo mode you can actually adjust the "gamma" live via the exposure option, you'll see that some areas no matter how bright you make it will not allow you to make them visible.
The game goes right down to insane 0 level code values, which on many displays will be really dark or OFF in the case of an OLED. That could be a case of some kind of black clipping in error, but it looks broadly the same in this regard in SDR (which isn't crushing for all users including myself)

Great catch. I just tried adjusting the exposure in a bunch of places to see the difference and default value provides the best look. I can just sit back and enjoy the game now and not have to worry about whether or not I'm seeing the game the "right" way.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I give up. Whatever feel you better. In any case UE4 games on xbox one X runs all in 1440p
Games still render at their 4k"ish" resolution on the X and are supersampled down to 1440p if you're using a 1440p display. That's not the same thing as a game being rendered at 1440p then upscaled to 2160 because it's not running on strong enough hardware for true 2160p.

Fortnite is 1728p on X.
Fortnite BR was later patched to 2160p but still uses a dynamic resolution to maintain fps

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Really hope they patch in dynamic resolution on all platforms to clean up the performance while maintaining the great image quality. The only reason I can think of why they wouldn't have X be dynamic resolution is because of console warriors having a whinge that it's only 4K 99% of the time. Otherwise what reason would you have to not have what could be a locked 30 with little downside?

It's not mentioned but is the game using TAA?

This has got to be something OS related or some weird bug somewhere. I wasn't able to detect this during my testing and in fact my capture results were totally different and without this lost detail. We actually compared some of our captures before this video and my caps were totally different.

Lots of people (including DF were unable to resolve the left hand image in the gamma setup screen, no matter the setting)

xDmu-OQu.jpg

I on the other hand have not had this problem and here was a capture from a few days ago.

DF were getting this on their captures from Xbox One X/S
SPfkEI1I.jpg

After comparing lots of notes and settings all I could put it down to is a difference in OS version which is perhaps affecting black levels. I'm running one of the skip ahead alpha builds and they were testing on the public releases, so it's likely already fixed, just not released.
A new public OS build came out a couple days ago that affected 4K games rendering, might be worth having a look at. So HDR isn't broken though just SDR?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Really hope they patch in dynamic resolution on all platforms to clean up the performance while maintaining the great image quality. The only reason I can think of why they wouldn't have X be dynamic resolution is because of console warriors having a whinge that it's only 4K 99% of the time. Otherwise what reason would you have to not have what could be a locked 30 with little downside?

It's not mentioned but is the game using TAA?

A new public OS build came out a couple days ago that affected 4K games rendering, might be worth having a look at. So HDR isn't broken though just SDR?

It's been weird from the off, me and the guys from DF were comparing our captures and they had the black clipping and I did not.
What I have discovered is that the Xbox is always outputting full range RGB 0-255, even if you've picked standard (which should be 16-235)
I suspect that the game's output is adjusted in someway based upon the parameter and somewhere along the line this is going wrong.
I had the crushing in SDR a couple of times when I was testing, but after changing a few settings it went away, then it came back again and now it's totally gone. So I'm wondering if there is some cache somewhere that is clearing and affect the behavior.

There are a couple of fixes you can try if you are having the problems: if you are playing in 4K you can set the colour depth to 10 or 12 bit, which will actually force YUV output , which doesn't have the full/limited thing.

If you are playing in 1080p, then this won't happen and it it might be worth visiting your TV's black level /HDMI black point setting and see if changing the setting there rectifies it.

Otherwise I had pretty much changed every video setting imagineable on the console, done hard reboots and changed everything back, something rectified it, I just don't know what.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's been weird from the off, me and the guys from DF were comparing our captures and they had the black clipping and I did not.
What I have discovered is that the Xbox is always outputting full range RGB 0-255, even if you've picked standard (which should be 16-235)
I suspect that the game's output is adjusted in someway based upon the parameter and somewhere along the line this is going wrong.
I had the crushing in SDR a couple of times when I was testing, but after changing a few settings it went away, then it came back again and now it's totally gone. So I'm wondering if there is some cache somewhere that is clearing and affect the behavior.

There are a couple of fixes you can try if you are having the problems: if you are playing in 4K you can set the colour depth to 10 or 12 bit, which will actually force YUV output , which doesn't have the full/limited thing.

If you are playing in 1080p, then this won't happen and it it might be worth visiting your TV's black level /HDMI black point setting and see if changing the setting there rectifies it.

Otherwise I had pretty much changed every video setting imagineable on the console, done hard reboots and changed everything back, something rectified it, I just don't know what.
Oh I didn't know about the 10bit and YUV thing, that's really interesting. My X and C7 are set to 10bit so here's hoping there's no issues.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Have to say it looks stunning on the One X and a just little sad, that for all DF wonderful GFX Cards, High-end CPU's and monitors and TV, they seemingly haven't invested in a decent surround set up. The Dolby Atmos support in games like this and RE 2, deserves a lot more than just mention, that it supports such a feature.

Its kind of depressing that even now and long after the days of Tommy Tallarico BIG push to get the sound more recognised in gaming, its still sadly overlooked so often, even now.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
This game is probably the best advert for 4K I've seen. It's stunningly dense and detailed on One X.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The x just wipes the floor with the pro at this point. It's the right way to do a mid gen refresh. I hope all platforms follow suit going forward.

I too hope we get more love for Dolby atmos going forward. Maybe DF could look at a sound enthusiast to offer input.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
Have to say it looks stunning on the One X and a just little sad, that for all DF wonderful GFX Cards, High-end CPU's and monitors and TV, they seemingly haven't invested in a decent surround set up. The Dolby Atmos support in games like this and RE 2, deserves a lot more than just mention, that it supports such a feature.

Its kind of depressing that even now and long after the days of Tommy Tallarico BIG push to get the sound more recognised in gaming, its still sadly overlooked so often, even now.

We should be friends! Dolby atmos and sound in games in general needs a digital foundry / evil boris to highlight just how good it can be.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
We should be friends! Dolby atmos and sound in games in general needs a digital foundry / evil boris to highlight just how good it can be.

Agreed. It should be like how High Def films are reviewed; not just for the picture, but also the sound and how well is the sound used (to add to the experience) The Dolby Atmos in RE 2 Remake is a total game changer for Atmos used in games

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So I should have it set to 8Bit to get 4:4:4? Does it do that automatically on the C7 or do I have to set it in PC mode or something for 4:4:4. Also it's a 10bit panel so wouldn't it be best to have it at 10bit?

Set the Xbox at 24 (8bIt) and standard color space.
Anything other than that is an upscale in bit depth and a downgrade in chroma subsampling.
A lot more data is going through like that, whether you can see the difference is another thing :)

^this is all obviously thrown up in the air by the fact there is an intermitant bug affecting RGB output.

When you are actually playing 10bit content, i.e. anything in HDR, then the console will automatically switch.
You don't have to set it to 10bit just because the panel is 10bit, they put the option in just incase there are any weird AV setups that can't accept an 8bit signal.

Likewise there is a 12bit option, but no 12bit panels.

Jan 17, 2019
Even the base Xbone S was promote to play in 4k on TV. Does it means it's promote as a 4k machine?

Xbox one S never claimed 4k gaming in its marketing.

Yes, it was. Almost 3 years ago. With NFL and FIFA on Xbox One S. Some deaf granny beat the shit out of some young player in FIFA and in the same time saying "it looks soo sharp". Those misleading videos are removed, though

Anyway, thread is here : https://www./threads/new-xbox-one-s-has-4k-ultra-hd-resolution-video.1324132/#post-226405223

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

The Atmos mix and sound in general in this game is terrible though. Some of the worst audio work I've heard in a AAA title in ages, sounds like it's still on beta.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
The Atmos mix and sound in general in this game is terrible though. Some of the worst audio work I've heard in a AAA title in ages, sounds like it's still on beta.

Hence my point of why it be nice, like how High Def Film reviews go into detail about the sound and how well the film uses the sound tech to add to the experience. Sound is so important to games IMO.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
Agreed. It should be like how High Def films are reviewed; not just for the picture, but also the sound and how well is the sound used (to add to the experience) The Dolby Atmos in RE 2 Remake is a total game changer for Atmos used in games
Isn't atmos in RE2 literally used just for some music?
Last time I checked, there's no 3d sound at all.
I made a post about this.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Set the Xbox at 24 (8bIt) and standard color space.
Anything other than that is an upscale in bit depth and a downgrade in chroma subsampling.
A lot more data is going through like that, whether you can see the difference is another thing :)

^this is all obviously thrown up in the air by the fact there is an intermitant bug affecting RGB output.

When you are actually playing 10bit content, i.e. anything in HDR, then the console will automatically switch.
You don't have to set it to 10bit just because the panel is 10bit, they put the option in just incase there are any weird AV setups that can't accept an 8bit signal.

Likewise there is a 12bit option, but no 12bit panels.
Oh so when the game starts in HDR it will switch to 10bit anyway?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The x just wipes the floor with the pro at this point. It's the right way to do a mid gen refresh. I hope all platforms follow suit going forward.

I too hope we get more love for Dolby atmos going forward. Maybe DF could look at a sound enthusiast to offer input.
True, but Pro was released in 2016 & costs $100 less, still it's more of a 1440p machine than a 4K one, Sony should have maybe buffed it up a bit since not every game can use checkerboard rendering it seems.

Jan 17, 2019

https://youtu.be/MW0l-bS2Upo?t=542

DF : "If we moved to the enhanced consoles next, Pro and X, it's a clear cut victory for Microsofts machine..."

Seems both of you are happy. :D

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The thing is, that's not consistent with the PC or PS4 versions which are never this dark at default settings. I did manage to bring out the left image but toggling Xbox settings several times (then it started working) but the Xbox version is still overly dark. It's a very weird situation.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The thing is, that's not consistent with the PC or PS4 versions which are never this dark at default settings. I did manage to bring out the left image but toggling Xbox settings several times (then it started working) but the Xbox version is still overly dark. It's a very weird situation.

You are talking about the game in SDR here aren't you?
Either way, in HDR the centre point is typically gamma 1.0 (or no correction). As this problem is caused by video levels being off at system level a brightness correction won't help as data is clipped off regardless this would still be where I would place this parameter, before or after a fix.

Ive got documentation of the output levels for various games I've not seen any changes for older titles, which leads me to believe that YCC output isn't affected in the same way the RGB output is, which was consistent with tests I was doing yesterday.

Perhaps this is a coincidence alongside the RGB bug on Xbox and there is an actual encoding issue with the game which is exacerbating it further . During the intro when you are on the train which is prerendered and display refered you see a load of elevated blacks (you see this during the logo intros too). This drops right down just as the doors are opening as part of this cutscene. Then the game loads up and the levels are are same as it was when it dropped.

I've spent minimal time over one SDR and even then I wasn't experiencing the problems you had seen , as per the capture I have.

If be interested to see if that sudden drop is there on PS4 and even in the PCs video file

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
Yes, it was. Almost 3 years ago. With NFL and FIFA on Xbox One S. Some deaf granny beat the shit out of some young player in FIFA and in the same time saying "it looks soo sharp". Those misleading videos are removed, though

Anyway, thread is here : https://www./threads/new-xbox-one-s-has-4k-ultra-hd-resolution-video.1324132/#post-226405223

Yeah that video was misleading.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
I found it too quite for starters and you also had to select Atmos in the options, but you're right when setting up its great.
yes, the option label is a bit misleading. It's not about turning on atmos, but about turning on surround sound as a whole.
If you don't check it, you just get stereo sound.

About RE2, I found my post. I still think it's a real shame.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...-never-forget-it.95005/page-150#post-17361320

Last edited:

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You are talking about the game in SDR here aren't you?
Either way, in HDR the centre point is typically gamma 1.0 (or no correction). As this problem is caused by video levels being off at system level a brightness correction won't help as data is clipped off regardless this would still be where I would place this parameter, before or after a fix.

Ive got documentation of the output levels for various games I've not seen any changes for older titles, which leads me to believe that YCC output isn't affected in the same way the RGB output is, which was consistent with tests I was doing yesterday.

Perhaps this is a coincidence alongside the RGB bug on Xbox and there is an actual encoding issue with the game which is exacerbating it further . During the intro when you are on the train which is prerendered and display refered you see a load of elevated blacks (you see this during the logo intros too). This drops right down just as the doors are opening as part of this cutscene. Then the game loads up and the levels are are same as it was when it dropped.

I've spent minimal time over one SDR and even then I wasn't experiencing the problems you had seen , as per the capture I have.

If be interested to see if that sudden drop is there on PS4 and even in the PCs video file
I've barely touched HDR so, yeah, it's all SDR tests.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've barely touched HDR so, yeah, it's all SDR tests.

So what I was finding last night is that it looks as in the Xbox is stuck outputting full range RGB, even when the console is set to limited.
As far as I'm aware everything is always full range internally and some changes are made as it is output.

I would hypothesis that there is a desynchronisation in communication between the output the user has selected and what the OS is preparing for output.
The Standard range option perhaps acting as 16-235 window into a 0-255 container but internally the game is still running at 0-255.
Unforunately simply setting the console to full range doesn't help with this and actually just crushes everything even futher, something that definately did not used to be the case, as I ran this for various tests.

I did manage to trigger and untrigger last night when experimenting, as you say toggling and untoggling stuff, but it was so inconsistant in how I did this I wasn't able to take any measurements beyond that "gamma" screen, so I have 1 capture where it is all good and another when it's all wrong.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Seems like a solid showing across all systems, seems like they could all make a few more sacrifices to stabilize that framerate. Having base XB above PS4 was not what I expected but the system cut where it needed to. 1X looks like a solid choice in terms of performance and resolution.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So what I was finding last night is that it looks as in the Xbox is stuck outputting full range RGB, even when the console is set to limited.
As far as I'm aware everything is always full range internally and some changes are made as it is output.

I would hypothesis that there is a desynchronisation in communication between the output the user has selected and what the OS is preparing for output.
The Standard range option perhaps acting as 16-235 window into a 0-255 container but internally the game is still running at 0-255.
Unforunately simply setting the console to full range doesn't help with this and actually just crushes everything even futher, something that definately did not used to be the case, as I ran this for various tests.

I did manage to trigger and untrigger last night when experimenting, as you say toggling and untoggling stuff, but it was so inconsistant in how I did this I wasn't able to take any measurements beyond that "gamma" screen, so I have 1 capture where it is all good and another when it's all wrong.
Exactly in line with my experience. It's extremely bizarre and hopefully they'll figure out what's wrong and sort it shortly. We've reached out to them regarding this issue.