• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Another fantastic Switch conversion - and this time it's 4A Games itself that teases out some stunning visuals from Nintendo's console hybrid. Metro 2033 Redux and Metro Last Light Redux are both stacked up against the last-gen Xbox 360 and current-gen PS4 versions of the game - and the results are fascinating.
  • ported in-house by 4A
  • redux version, so better lighting, textures, models, re-scripted scenes
  • 360 version dropped frames and tore screens like crazy
  • uses nintendo/nvidia's NVN instead of vulkan or opengl
  • 1080p on ps4, 912p on xbo; fixed
  • early gen games on the high-end duo used fixed resolutions, now dynamic res is the norm
  • switch uses temporal super-resolution
  • pixel counts come at 720p, but it's not that simple
  • alphas are ¼ res
  • DF looking into ways to present reconstruction
  • portable mode is 720p, but again use reconstruction
  • drops to 480p but uncommon
  • looks better in portable
  • switch LCD ruins the blacks in the game
  • compares favorably to the PS4, near 1:1 aside from some textures
  • has some light clipping glitches
  • FULL FAT CONSOLE EXPERIENCE
  • input latency is minimal, feels very good
  • has 5.1 surround sound, minimal compression
  • 60fps on high end duo, very stable there
  • 30fps on switch, also very stable
  • 1-2 missed/spiked frames in 1 hour of footage per game
  • portable has some hitches but it's in a cutscene and very short
  • switch loading times is mixed, sometimes slower, sometimes faster when loading from death

Last edited:

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like a pretty good conversion and it's nice they're including all the content on the cartridge.
Only real downsides seem to be the loading times and 30 fps (though it seems really stable according to Digital Foundry).

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a pretty good conversion and it's nice they're including all the content on the cartridge.
Only real downsides seem to be the loading times and 30 fps (though it seems really stable according to Digital Foundry).

A solid 30 FPS (with good motion blur) will always be better than potentially fluctuating frame rates IMO.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Looks like a really really great port, of Switch had an OLED Id definitely pick this up just for the novelty of portable play.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Handheld seems great, but I'm kinda surprised about the docked resolution. Honestly expected it to be a tad better there.
Other than that, good to see that it's a very solid conversion.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i hope doom eternal on switch is able to maintain solid 30fps at launch too. doom 2016 took quite a few patches to improve performance.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, these games are a lot of fun and have a bit of a different style/feel than most other shooters so I would definitely recommend them. Rock solid 30fps is also a good sign, even as last-gen games they still hold up pretty well with all the visual improvements

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
"Mediocre" LCD screen is a bit too much - I consider the Switch LCD a great screen, especially for the price.

Great video as always though.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
JFC, this looks really really good. It's really impressive what the Tegra X1 can do despite it being made for tablets.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dark1x Just finished watching but just wanted to ask what resolution the original versions run at on 360?(720p locked?)

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Dark1x ! I'm getting this on physical release!

You mentioned that A4 Games rewrote the engine using the NVN API. I wonder if Saber Interactive is also rewriting/reoptimizing Witcher 3 using the NVN API with their next patch?

Edit: Second question - Does this game have GYRO aiming?

Edit 2: It does? That settles it. Day 0.

Last edited:

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Solid 30fps with minimal to no input lag is great. But ouch... 2x the resolution hit and framerate when comparing switch vs PS4. This is just all too common on the current switch models.

Would really like some modern AAA 60fps shooters on switch for once.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Solid 30fps with minimal to no input lag is great. But ouch... 2x the resolution hit and framerate when comparing switch vs PS4.
From what I gathered it isn't 2x the resolution hit, but rather it uses temporal supersampling reconstruction to achieve both an anti-aliased image at the targeted resolution without it resulting in a blurry mess thats found in other similar Switch ports (which either use FXAA or TAA).