• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 10, 2018
John says the switches lcd is not very good in this, I thought the switch uses an ips pannel which is the best lcd tech there is for small screens?

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Theres better small form factor lcd then ips?
I've had 720p ips phones and the switch is as good, of course the black levels are better on oled but aside from that ips screens on small devices are very good.
Nintendo bought IGZO panels from Sharp for something (allegedly a switch pro) and those panels are supposed to have better color accuracy, brightness, pixel density, and lower power consumption

www.displayninja.com

IGZO vs IPS - What's The Difference? [Simple Guide]

What's IGZO and is it better or worse than IPS? We have made a simple guide, explaining the differences between IGZO and IPS, and which one you should choose.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it Metro "Redux" as in "Re-do", and not actually pronounced "Redux"?

I thought this was an odd argument, so I looked it up. Turns out there are lots of people like you who think it should be pronounced "re-do" for some strange reason (maybe confusion with the French word "deux" where the "x" is silent?), but no, it's pronounced "re-ducks".

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
The Switch is more powerful than the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U. Not sure why the emphasis on 'full fat console experience' when there's no surprise there.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was an odd argument, so I looked it up. Turns out there are lots of people like you who think it should be pronounced "re-do" for some strange reason (maybe confusion with the French word "deux" where the "x" is silent?), but no, it's pronounced "re-ducks".

Learn something everyday :)

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
John says the switches lcd is not very good in this, I thought the switch uses an ips pannel which is the best lcd tech there is for small screens?
Jon also said that the Vita 1000 had a "beautiful OLED screen". The Vita 1000 had an abhorrent, dim garbo screen with nonexistent colour calibration and insane mura effect.
He absolutely knows his stuff in every other area, but he's dead wrong on that. The Switch has a good screen for a <300 bucks device and reviews said as much when It launched.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Jon also said that the Vita 1000 had a "beautiful OLED screen". The Vita 1000 had an abhorrent, dim garbo screen with nonexistent colour calibration and insane mura effect.
He absolutely knows his stuff in every other area, but he's dead wrong on that. The Switch has a good screen for a <300 bucks device and reviews said as much when It launched.

The Vita OLED was indeed bad with the mura effect and poor colour accuracy. Just made the "dat OLED" meme even more annoying.

Oct 30, 2017

the vita 1000's OLED screen was unlike anything else at the time — there wasn't anything of comparable size and resolution that didn't use pentile. yeah its color accuracy was terrible and overall consistency was bad, but i'd have taken it over literally any phone OLED back then. the technology just wasn't mature.

OLED in 2011 still had major drawbacks versus LCDs, but its advantages were just as apparent. sony clearly went for the "let's make a screen that looks like nothing else out there, damn the consequences", and the result was certainly subjectively beautiful if you wanted to use it to play wipeout.

but uh yeah i would rather use an iphone 5 (or a vita 2000) today.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Despite owning the PS4 version, I will get this release cause you can see the effort and care put into the port, it has both games in the cart and most importantly, gyro aiming \o/

It could look nice and colourful like a mario game, yes.
But it'd look awful as a Metroid Prime game, even if the graphics are good.
It could look fantastic
DsdDVXcWoAEXPmX.jpg:orig

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo bought IGZO panels from Sharp for something (allegedly a switch pro) and those panels are supposed to have better color accuracy, brightness, pixel density, and lower power consumption

www.displayninja.com

IGZO vs IPS - What's The Difference? [Simple Guide]

What's IGZO and is it better or worse than IPS? We have made a simple guide, explaining the differences between IGZO and IPS, and which one you should choose.
The mariko switches has all of these things (aside from resolution), and they are made by sharp (innolux, same thing in practice) so in all likelihood imo they are using the igzos.

Sharp and Innolux to integrate their display business - with a focus on IGZO and OLEDs | OLED Info

A few weeks after Sharp agreed to sell a two-thirds stake to Foxconn (Hon Hai Precision) for $3.5 billion, the Taiwanese company is starting to integrate Sharp's display business with Innolux, Foxconn Taiwanese display arm.Innolux AMOLED prototype, 2012Today we hear a report from Taiwan that...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The mariko switches has all of these things (aside from resolution), and they are made by sharp (innolux, same thing in practice) so in all likelihood imo they are using the igzos.

Sharp and Innolux to integrate their display business - with a focus on IGZO and OLEDs | OLED Info

A few weeks after Sharp agreed to sell a two-thirds stake to Foxconn (Hon Hai Precision) for $3.5 billion, the Taiwanese company is starting to integrate Sharp's display business with Innolux, Foxconn Taiwanese display arm.Innolux AMOLED prototype, 2012Today we hear a report from Taiwan that...
Seriously, people don't understand that IGZO is a process for making, among other things, IPS panels, that Sharp and Innolux are the same company, and that IGZO does not necessarily bring better image quality!

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that frame rate is ROCK SOLID. Impressive. Look at this, developers. This is how it should be!

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, people don't understand that IGZO is a process for making, among other things, IPS panels, that Sharp and Innolux are the same company, and that IGZO does not necessarily bring better image quality!
I suspect some people just don't want to understand this, because it doesn't fit the narrative of a switch pro.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect some people just don't want to understand this, because it doesn't fit the narrative of a switch pro.
So now I'm some Pro truther because I misunderstood something?

The Switch is more powerful than the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U. Not sure why the emphasis on 'full fat console experience' when there's no surprise there.
As long as there's better hardware, the goalposts for "console experience" will keep moving, unfortunately

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like this and Alien Isolation are some of the best Ports to Switch now. It's actually perplexing how well western Devs have supported and continue to support the Switch. And that the quality of the ports is actually increasing. Neat.