• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

summary forthcoming
  • was running live at the MS headquarters
  • the b-roll footage was encoded was encoded from a higher frame rate source
  • full path-tracing, not hybrid
  • running at 1080p
  • 4 weeks of work by 1 engineer
  • "technical demo", no promise of release (that's an obvious lie)
  • frame rate between 30-60 (60 without DXR)
  • base texture pack, but with pbr support (rough/metal/normal/etc)
  • real-time water caustics
  • another video coming soon about the theoretical rt performance of Series X

Last edited:

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks good, but I was definitely more impressed with the initial RTX demo world they played through.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Never thought I would see the day where Minecraft would be used as a tech demo for next gen. I mean it is a legit showcase, but minecraft

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Video is really worth a watch beyond the quick summary. It's contagious (in a good way!) to hear John and Alex talk about the path-tracing, what was expected/not expected on consoles, what they're showing and what it means in terms of what we can expect in the future. A really fun dive into ray tracing.

Great video!

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It looks amazing, but I feel like I won't ever use it.

I visit way too many dark places in Minecraft to be constantly either in the absolute dark or blinded by the light.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Interesting points about Microsoft and DXR. The PS5 would certainly have the same RDNA2 GPU, would the implementation be much different and causing the PS5 RT patches to be late? Even though it's technically possible now that ray tracing extensions for Vulkan is available

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
Damn Minecraft...you keep pulling me back in!

It all started for me in 2009 when i saw there were lots of videos about it. I watched some of them and though to myself: what the hell, why do people like this? So i tried a demo....and was hooked. Full of shame, I showed it to one of my friends. I showed him my house and my dog and he asked if he could create a bedroom.... That made him set up a server so we can jump in and out whenever we wanted.

After an absurd amount of hours/days/months/years in Minecraft we were done with the game. So i stopped playing until i got married. I showed it to my wife and she got hooked to. It gave me a boost, but it wasn't like the beginning anymore. Then my daughter was born and when she was 3 she wanted to play it too. It still is fun to play it with her (she's now almost 6). Beacuse of Minecraft she knows how to handle the two stick control and she could play Halo in theory. Shes too young for Halo, but at least she knows how to game.

Seeing this graphical update makes me very interested in sticking even more hours in the game.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Amazing work for a single engineer. Reminds me or the Quantum Break Xbox One X patch being done by one person (If my memory is correct).

LuckyX2

Feb 22, 2019
Uhh this is kind of unimpressive. 2080TI gets ~80fps in Quake RTX at 1080p and that's also fully path raytraced.
If XBSeX is only getting 30fps, that's not too good...

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
It runs very well on rtx cards
was way above 60 fps all the tiem on rtx 2080ti in august

Did you try it with any other RTX cards? It's sounding like XSX has similar raw power as a 2080, but has RT abilities of a lower level gpu that would result in it faring worse in games that use RT.

Dec 8, 2018
You know.....because this demo is a fully playable game ready to be release to the public tomorrow.

How bout u wait until the lockhart is even announced before you speculate.

So sorry I commented on performance in a digital foundry thread how could I do such a completely dumb thing. Imagine if digital foundry have made several videos discussing the Lockhart rumor and what kind of performance a 4tf console could accomplish compared to a 12tf one.

So dumb of me...

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Legit LOL if they want me to believe that something like this will ever exist.

I waited 2 f'n years for their Minecraft Super Duper Graphic pack to get released and then it got cancelled.
Minecraft currently still doesn't even have Xbox One X compatibility! Yeah, seriously.
So no, I don't even want to start thinking about this.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Uhh this is kind of unimpressive. 2080TI gets ~80fps in Quake RTX at 1080p and that's also fully path raytraced.
If XBSeX is only getting 30fps, that's not too good...

XBSeX is getting 30-60, it's not fully optimized, and you shouldn't be expecting 2080ti performance out of a console. The fact that it's even ballpark close to a base 2080 is impressive.

Consider that 2013 consoles launched with CPUs that were weak by 2008 standards on PC.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Oh sure, it is a good example of how much more accurate lighting can make a difference. Minecraft isn't impressive looking in terms of assets or other elements.

LuckyX2

Feb 22, 2019
XBSeX is getting 30-60, it's not fully optimized, and you shouldn't be expecting 2080ti performance out of a console. The fact that it's even ballpark close to a base 2080 is impressive.

Consider that 2013 consoles launched with CPUs that were weak by 2008 standards on PC.

The unoptimized rasterization performance of XBSeX has already been shown to be comparable to a 2080 Super. So yes, I expect at least 2080 Super levels of raytracing performance or else the RT side of things its going to be a big bottleneck.

2060 levels of RT perf is disappointing if true. I'd rather turn off RT and run at 4K60 at that point instead of running at 1080p30 with RT.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
It runs very well on rtx cards
was way above 60 fps all the tiem on rtx 2080ti in august
So I guess the inference is that the Series X RTX solution is a lot less powerful than the RTX on 2080ti (or even 2060), right?
Also, could the path tracing in Minecraft be optimized to run better on Series X? Or is Path Tracing just a brute force method that's not optimizable?

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
So you think developers will not build a single game around ray-tracing instead of current lightning solution this entire gen? Or do you think they will make a completely different version made solely for the Lockhart?
Do you think every PC has ray tracing?

Raytracing on these consoles is going to be special feature not used by many games. Some will use it for a specific effect here and there, some will not use it at all. Some will use it for their lighting.

But even those games that use it for their lighting, like this Minecraft demo are also going to offer an alternative lighting model for everyone on PC who doesn't have a raytracing graphics card.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hmm, doesn't bode well for AMD's RNDA2 cards if a 12TF RDNA 2 card is on par with RTX 2060 ray tracing wise. Whoever said it was not possible for AMD to beat Nvidia on their first try was totally correct.

Fake news

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.