• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
The core gameplay stays around 60 and the game is content complete with the other versions. Its not bad but it could have been a hell of a lot worse. Look what they did to the Krypt just to get it possible to run on the Switch.

It's also that most of the game on other versions is just at 30 fps except for the gameplay. Switch sticks by that generally.

Decent? Perhaps. Great? No.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The drops usually happen after the 30FPS recorded movies or the 30FPS real time cutscenes. Very rarely during the actual game. Those 30FPS moments are 30 FPS across all platforms not just Switch.

Undocked it dips below 60fps quite a bit. Docked is a better in that regard.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
No, it's telling me that a rdr2 port wouldn't be possible. There's a lot of posters on Era that argue any game could be acceptably ported to the Switch. But the Switch having such issues with the larger environment of the mk11 krypt shows that not be the case.
Oh yeah, I missed a word or two there.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to take some grabs from the n64 quick look video
xUzRXtD_d.jpg

mlrd1i4r.jpg

Tsungs island hit by the mist

There are cuts .. and then there are cuts .. to get the game running..

If the Krypt on Switch is running at 60 FPS, it's a pointless sacrifice. I'm sure people would have been perfectly fine with 30 FPS krypt if it at least looked anything like what it's supposed to.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017

If the Krypt on Switch is running at 60 FPS, it's a pointless sacrifice. I'm sure people would have been perfectly fine with 30 FPS krypt if it at least looked anything like what it's supposed to.
Krypt is capped at 30FPS on all versions.

I think ultimately the decisions with the switch version were a matter of scale. What was the most efficient way for them to deliver a switch version day 1 which was feature complete, and the core fighting gameplay was a perfect match to the other systems. I'm sure if they spent 6 more months they could've made the krypt look a lot better, but for me they made the right decisions. I'm mainly interested in the switch version for practicing on the go. It's on the console versions that I'm investing time heavily on unlocking stuff.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you have to cut a 720p game down to 384p to get it running properly you have to start to wonder if it may be better just to give Switch its own special version instead of trying to cram the console one in there. It would have been awesome if they had the time/budget to create a special 2D version of MK11 for Switch. Give it the look of MK3 but with all the new characters and story intact (like DQ11).

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
If you have to cut a 720p game down to 384p to get it running properly you have to start to wonder if it may be better just to give Switch its own special version instead of trying to cram the console one in there. It would have been awesome if they had the time/budget to create a special 2D version of MK11 for Switch. Give it the look of MK3 but with all the new characters and story intact (like DQ11).
The main draw of the switch version is to practice on the go. If it wasn't the same experience they might as well not have made the game. I have to imagine the majority of switch purchasers if MK11 are double dipping to play on the go.

I wonder how many people who are complaining here have played it. I'm on a trip right now and I am practicing with the switch version and it's perfectly fine. The fatal blows/fatalities can look rough (especially the hair) and the krypt looks rough. But the reason why I'm here, the gameplay itself, looks fine!

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so happy this isn't really a thing anymore. Exclusive games made with a system in mind is fun but when you start making a special version, it often ends up lacking features more than anything. Heck, even despite enjoying FIFA on Switch and it being more of a port than special version, I still felt like a lesser priority with the lack of features from other versions.

From what I know MKXI on Switch is feature complete which is all that matters to me. I understand graphics have to be toned down. I can live with it.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Hard not to think why didn't just make the game cross-gen with the 360 and PS3 while they were at it if those are the kinds of deep cuts they were willing to make.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Hard not to think why didn't just make the game cross-gen with the 360 and PS3 while they were at it if those are the kinds of deep cuts they were willing to make.
Because no one buys PS3 and X360 software anymore.

Funny enough, Mortal Kombat X was originally supposed to release day and date on PS3/360 along with the PS4/XBO versions. But then it started to get delayed and eventually got officially canceled in 2015 after 'months of development' had been done on it.

https://www.polygon.com/2015/8/28/9223697/mortal-kombat-x-ps3-xbox-360-canceled

Looking at this Switch release, a pretty competitive 720p MKX could have very easily worked on PS3/360 and done somewhat reasonably well.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
It's really awful.

I am actually wondering if it was worth porting the game to switch. Some cuts are horrible, frame rate undocked makes it almost unplayable (a BEU below 60 fps cannot exist)

Sigh...

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Krypt is capped at 30FPS on all versions.

I think ultimately the decisions with the switch version were a matter of scale. What was the most efficient way for them to deliver a switch version day 1 which was feature complete, and the core fighting gameplay was a perfect match to the other systems. I'm sure if they spent 6 more months they could've made the krypt look a lot better, but for me they made the right decisions. I'm mainly interested in the switch version for practicing on the go. It's on the console versions that I'm investing time heavily on unlocking stuff.
Yeah. It's clear that the Krypt got a fraction of the development time the other modes did, and that makes sense, since it's just a place you go to unlock things. It's still a big shame though, because exploring Shang Tsung's island is a very appealing part of the MK11 package.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I do find it funny that a lot of the people complaining in this thread have no interest in actually playing the Switch version other than to come here and shit on it.
The Krypt looks horrendous, I'll give you that but actual gameplay looks fine.
I hope they can sort out the performance dips in handheld in a patch.

As for why it was worth it, the Switch version appears to be selling quite well for itself and there are people actually playing it and enjoying it (and some people who were disappointed and thought the concessions were too much). That's why it was worth it

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
I do find it funny that a lot of the people complaining in this thread have no interest in actually playing the Switch version other than to come here and shit on it.

As for why it was worth it, the Switch version appears to be selling quite well for itself and there are people actually playing it and enjoying it (and some people who were disappointed and thought the concessions were too much). That's why it was worth it
Yep. And same as the Vita game people will just post screenshots , laugh and leave.

Better get ready for the Krypt pictures.

EDIT:
Too late. XD

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Eh. There would have needed to be further cuts. Not heavy ones mind, but seems like the Switch still bests 360/PS3 titles a bit in handheld mode when you look at stuff like Revelations 2 (I'm sure there are other examples).
And those are older games, made under older graphical programming paradigms. The Switch version is using modern hardware to run old code. For the newer graphical effects to work on old hardware like the last generation consoles, even more efficiency would be lost and the difference would be starker. It's not like the RSX can do async compute very well for instance.
Edit: yes, the SPUs of the Cell did indeed perform the kind of compute that GPUs do nowadays, and was in fact ahead of its time in that respect, but a port to PS3 of a modern game would have to be completely rewritten to make use of that hardware.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a legit comparison? I haven't seen the game. But this post had me bust out laughing at work.

Yes, thats what its supposed to look like. The crypt on the switch version also has really really bad draw distance on everything. Just a thick gray cloud. You can see maybe 40 feet in front of you. Also it looks like absolute ass as the cherry on top.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

With you 100%. I have a pro and a Samsung ks8000 and I still went with the Switch version. I'd say most of my time has been playing it portable. Benji's Twitter has mentioned it's doing well sales wise and it's a top selling game on the e shop currently.

The amount of people ready to dunk on the switch is lol worthy. Jeff said it best in the GB quicklook. Yeah it obviously looks worse but whatever the gameplay is there and it's an option for people who want it on switch.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017

I'm tempted myself to double dip because the game is really fun but I also want to play it on the go. The Krypt looks like dogshit on Switch but its not a dealbreaker.

This can also be a factor in this port.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
To me it looks like the main gameplay is the part that has seen the most work, the most optimized by far. It holds up really well. Other aspects like the Krypt or the cutscenes/fatalities compare more poorly (Especially the Krypt) and look like, maybe, they were more rushed. For instance, why do the cutscenes run at higher resolution on other platforms with respect to the gameplay, due to the 30FPs cap, but noticeably lower on Switch?

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Imo the Switch version looks great! Worse than the other versions , sure., but honestly I'm more inclined to buy the game for the Switch than the PS4.

Just waiting to check the Online population on the Switch version to decide.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017

I bought and had the Switch version pre-loaded a week before the game came out due to everyone in the press talking about how this version looks "fine". I loaded it up and immediately did not think it was fine. Not in the least. And I'm not even talking about the IQ either (which is bad). I'm talking about the fact it's not a locked 60, the transition from fight to the cinematics in the story mode always resulted in hitching, and the Krypt straight up looking like the textures didn't finish loading in. There are cut corners and then there's "maybe it isn't worth porting this in the first place."

I'm not even a huge graphics guy, either. I played some 300 hours of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, 200 of which were in portable mode and I was always stumped as to when people would say that game looked bad.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's 30FPS on Pro, so I would assume everything else is as well. That would make the cuts even harder for Switch.

Yeah, considering there are UE3 games on PS3 and 360 that look far better than the Krypt here, I'm going to assume they were not given time or budget to do anything but port it straight and turn all the sliders down so it'd run faster than 10fps.

The Krypt is hardly a critical part of the game. But this does put a nasty blemish on the package.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not even a huge graphics guy, either. I played some 300 hours of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, 200 of which were in portable mode and I was always stumped as to when people would say that game looked bad.
This interests me a lot since I have the same experience. Gives a lot more weight to what you say, at least to me. :p

Considering how widely Xenoblade 2 was accused of looking shit in handheld mode though, I'm surprised if MKXI looks worse and somehow escapes it. Would be super weird to me, but who knows. Not me at least, not buying this until a deep sale anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I bought and had the Switch version pre-loaded a week before the game came out due to everyone in the press talking about how this version looks "fine". I loaded it up and immediately did not think it was fine. Not in the least. And I'm not even talking about the IQ either (which is bad). I'm talking about the fact it's not a locked 60, the transition from fight to the cinematics in the story mode always resulted in hitching, and the Krypt straight up looking like the textures didn't finish loading in. There are cut corners and then there's "maybe it isn't worth porting this in the first place."

The gameplay itself looks great, imo. I'm sure the things around that gameplay can be brought up to par with a patch.