• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
To me it looks like the main gameplay is the part that has seen the most work, the most optimized by far. It holds up really well. Other aspects like the Krypt or the cutscenes/fatalities compare more poorly (Especially the Krypt) and look like, maybe, they were more rushed. For instance, why do the cutscenes run at higher resolution on other platforms with respect to the gameplay, due to the 30FPs cap, but noticeably lower on Switch?
It's probably really hard to make polygonal reductions to closeups of faces without breaking the way those animations work. There's probably less reductions to the cutscene models than to the gameplay models which is why it runs at a much lower res

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Could be. Stranger things have happened, but it's never safe to presume if you ask me.

There are a few things working in favor of further improvements.
1. This is close to an always online game, so it will be worked on and updated constantly in the coming years so we can hope some performance improvements come in that time.
2. The Switch version is apparently selling quite well for itself so there is incentive there to improve upon it rather than neglect it like Injustice Wii U.

I agree we shouldn't assume there will be improvements but I think there's a good chance we will see them.
Hopefully that moderately enhanced Switch can make it look and run even better

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch version is good enough if portability is a priority, but isn't exactly stellar. Plus i remember the backlash some sub native resolution vita games back in the day and now it doesn't seem to be an issue anymore

Interested in how it performed since shares engine with samsho, so not looking good for me to double do with the sni game.
That's because a lot of Switch owners are willing to overlook major graphical cut backs just to get the game on their platform.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Switch version is good enough if portability is a priority, but isn't exactly stellar. Plus i remember the backlash some sub native resolution vita games back in the day and now it doesn't seem to be an issue anymore

Interested in how it performed since shares engine with samsho, so not looking good for me to double do with the sni game.
Is still an isue (team 540p represent!) but many techniques to mitigate it have been developed since the Vita days.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
There are a few things working in favor of further improvements.
1. This is close to an always online game, so it will be worked on and updated constantly in the coming years so we can hope some performance improvements come in that time.
2. The Switch version is apparently selling quite well for itself so there is incentive there to improve upon it rather than neglect it like Injustice Wii U.

I agree we shouldn't assume there will be improvements but I think there's a good chance we will see them.
Hopefully that moderately enhanced Switch can make it look and run even better
One of the reasons I believe they will improve Switch version is that the port was clearly rushed. The best evidence is the fact that the character specific tutorials are tagged as "Coming soon" when they are already available in other versions.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Geeeez

maxresdefault.jpg

HNNNG!! NRS should make an action game!

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Suddenly bloodstained 720p 30 doesn't look all that bad.

For reference does anyone remember what mk9 ran like on vita? I'm guessing sub 540p.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Outside of the Krypt issues the Switch port is pretty good for the actual fighting part of the game.

Don't understand why they didn't just put a img file or something as the backdrop instead of just a grey background if the Switch was having issues. The Krypt for the Switch is definitely the worst part of the port. Boon did good on the 60fps part though of the game.

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Impressed with the Switch version, but not understanding why the Krypt looks the way it does. There are making sacrifices, and then there is just not putting in the work to make a substitute. Like they could have put the moon and the people fighting on the bridge in there with changes. They could have went further than just using the most dense fog I have ever seen. Also maybe making the Krypt 30fps?

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Undocked looks more than acceptable to me, and I'd love having MK11 on the go to be honest.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I bought the Xbox x version and the switch version. Playing on a 65" 4k tv the switch version looks really really bad. Playing on an older 55" 1080 tv isn't as bad. Playing it right after playing the Xbox x version is not recommended. Lol

The main problem the switch version has docked is that there is a horrible post processing artifacting all over with heavy dithering. I wouldn't mind seeing them cut out post effects and serve up a straight no AA clean mode.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Looks horrible but that's the price for third party ports on NSW.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
It looks good enough to me during actual fighting gameplay considering the 60fps target. I think most mobile primary switch users will be happy with the port.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I bought the Xbox x version and the switch version. Playing on a 65" 4k tv the switch version looks really really bad. Playing on an older 55" 1080 tv isn't as bad. Playing it right after playing the Xbox x version is not recommended. Lol

The main problem the switch version has docked is that there is a horrible post processing artifacting all over with heavy dithering. I wouldn't mind seeing them cut out post effects and serve up a straight no AA clean mode.

Yeah, they need to just drop almost all effects and give a clean graphical look. Also clean up the start screen UI. The sections are pixelated as shit and the towers look laughable.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017

Jesus, with frame drops to boot.

Not happy with the docked Res either. Should have eaten the 30 fps reduction and pumped Res and gfx. 540p docked will look awful on a big screen. 340p looks awful even on a screen the size of a switch. Maaaaybe leave unlocked fps for docked mode. No one really gives a shit about 60 fps fighter on a low powered portable. I mean it's impressive they went for that, but you could get that experience on a much cheaper xb1s.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The Switch port is definitely impressive, but I'm not sure I'd like to experience the game like that.
Probably not unless you absolutely, definetly need the handheld version, play Dragons Dogma instead.

All those sacrifices and still many drops to 45 fps, at least with the switch pro we may have decent resolution

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile

Not happy with the docked Res either. Should have eaten the 30 fps reduction and pumped Res and gfx. 540p docked will look awful on a big screen. 340p looks awful even on a screen the size of a switch. Maaaaybe leave unlocked fps for docked mode. No one really gives a shit about 60 fps fighter on a low powered portable. I mean it's impressive they went for that, but you could get that experience on a much cheaper xb1s.
No one? If it was 30 everyone would be complaining.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
The core gameplay stays around 60 and the game is content complete with the other versions. Its not bad but it could have been a hell of a lot worse. Look what they did to the Krypt just to get it possible to run on the Switch.

It's also that most of the game on other versions is just at 30 fps except for the gameplay. Switch sticks by that generally.
The gameplay is the main part of the game lol. The lower framerate during cinematics is an artistic choice to more resemble a film look which is usually 24fps.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Am I taking crazy pills? The game wouldn't even play the same at 30fps

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's probably really hard to make polygonal reductions to closeups of faces without breaking the way those animations work. There's probably less reductions to the cutscene models than to the gameplay models which is why it runs at a much lower res
I was thinking it might be the shaderwork, there are obviously specific shaders to the fatalities, and even to the cutscenes, and all of that might have seen less focus over getting the gameplay itself to run like it does.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay is the main part of the game lol. The lower framerate during cinematics is an artistic choice to more resemble a film look which is usually 24fps.

It's a slight dip to the mid 50s, it sucks that it isn't a locked 60 but its not like its dropping way lower. If it was constantly dropping lower, that'd be a bigger problem than it was.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that DF found the Switch port to be one of the most technically impressive to date.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It's a slight dip to the mid 50s, it sucks that it isn't a locked 60 but its not like its dropping way lower. If it was constantly dropping lower, that'd be a bigger problem than it was.
It's a huge issue for a fighting game to drop below 60fps. It messes with frame data/inputs.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The core gameplay is about what I'd expect from the Switch, but everything around it isn't great. Maybe Shiver were pressed for time? The Switch version probably could have used a few more months in the oven.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
People asking why the frame rate dropping or requesting it be locked to 30 have zero idea of how the game actually works. The gameplay is tied to the frames. It cannot be changed or altered in any way without breaking the gameplay.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This DF analysis disappointed me a little. It was concise and short, which is a good thing I guess, but I much more enjoy the type of DF analysis, that goes more into technical detail as well as more in detail of the beautiful art we see. John does this often in his reviews, that's why I love those so much. Such a technically and artistically impressive title as MK11 would've deserved it. It is not only the best looking fighter to date, but imo one of the most beautiful games of this generation.
I also don't agree that the look at the Switch version "was the main event" as was stated in the video. As I said, I would've loved a more detailed look also at the other platforms.
Lastly, why didn't they touch on the Krypt at all? There the biggest differences between platforms seem to lie. I would've liked to know at which resolution and framerate the Krypt ran on all consoles.

Last edited:

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Backlash on sub-HD Vita games was similar to the backlash on Switch game for the sane reason: people that either don't have it but look at screenshots and videos to laugh, people with absurd expectations and people that just troll.

Said sub-HD Vita games usually looked and played fine (when done well).

Mortal Kombat 9 and Injustice on Vita were and are still great games and amazing ports.

People forget that before PSP, it was very rare to see "console like fighting games" on handhelds. Usually the rosters was reduced, number of stages, frames of animation and what was released was basically a demo of the actual game. (Crawfish did wonders with Street Fighter Alpha 3 on GBA)

So having a fully featured Mortal Kombat game on handheld that you can also play at home and still looks fine is far from those days. I'm currently alternating between Switch and Xbox even. :p

As a note, Samurai Showdown uses Unreal Engine 4.

Mortal Kombat uses the same engine as MKvsDCU, MK9, Injustice and Injustice 2: a haeavily modified version of Unreal Engine 3.
I thought both used UE4.
Let's see what SNK can do, samsho seems less complex than mk so maybe even if downgraded won't be noticed as much.

Oct 29, 2017
Impressed with the Switch version, but not understanding why the Krypt looks the way it does. There are making sacrifices, and then there is just not putting in the work to make a substitute. Like they could have put the moon and the people fighting on the bridge in there with changes. They could have went further than just using the most dense fog I have ever seen. Also maybe making the Krypt 30fps?

They probably just didn't bother optimising it at all. They just spent what little time and budget they had on the core gameplay and neglected the Krypt completely.

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
I actually expected lower average resolutions on Switch, especially handheld. Maybe it's the lack of post process that made it seem worse to my eyes. Pretty exceptional port though at it's core. I'm sure fighters in general come with some overhead performance wise but this is a good looking late current gen title running at 60, aside from a few ugly fatalities it's a solid representation.

Too bad about the Krypt.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly a bit surprised so many of these current gen ports have such shockingly low resolutions when other games like Wolfenstein, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon 2 can run at native 720 on the 360. And it was my understanding that even in portable mode, the Switch would be more powerful than the 360. I mean I think if someone did a port of Tomb Raider to Switch at 720 in portable mode, it would be among the best looking games on the system to date. Some of these ports are like Need for Speed on the Vita resolution and that's just a little surprising to me at this stage.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's fair to be so harsh on the Switch port. We all know the power gap between it and the other systems is large. So the cut backs aren't surprising and the game still looks good considering the hardware. The Krypt just didn't have the time and budget behind it. It's obviously not an accurate representation of what the Switch is capable of.

I'm honestly a bit surprised so many of these current gen ports have such shockingly low resolutions when other games like Wolfenstein, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon 2 can run at native 720 on the 360. And it was my understanding that even in portable mode, the Switch would be more powerful than the 360. I mean I think if someone did a port of Tomb Raider to Switch at 720 in portable mode, it would be among the best looking games on the system to date. Some of these ports are like Need for Speed on the Vita resolution and that's just a little surprising to me at this stage.

The current gen ports are usually doing more than the last gen games were doing.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'm generally satisfied with how the Switch version looks and the portability more than makes up for the shortcomings, but the Krypt is comically ugly. The second I loaded in there I thought I was playing a long-lost N64 game. Looking at the difference in that Pit section on the other consoles is hilarious.

Nov 18, 2018
I was seriously going to get the Switch version over the XB1X version of the game. But after hearing that it runs under 400p and also the loss of graphics effects and framerates, I will go ahead and get it for the XB1X. This port is disappointing on the Switch, to say the least.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
I was seriously going to get the Switch version over the XB1X version of the game. But after hearing that it runs under 400p and also the loss of graphics effects and framerates, I will go ahead and get it for the XB1X. This port is disappointing on the Switch, to say the least.

It does not run under 400P. that's the worst case possible in portable mode. also there are not loss on the framerate part. have you actually watched the video?

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I decided to take some grabs from the n64 quick look video
xUzRXtD_d.jpg

mlrd1i4r.jpg

Tsungs island hit by the mist
Their reaction to that was 100% spot on. Anyone who thinks the switch version is an impressive port would be impressed by two pixels bouncing off each other. Straight up dropping environments does not make a technical marvel. And yet it still has frame rate issues.