• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

The Nioh franchise returns to PlayStation! We've had the chance to check out the alpha code - though it's polished enough to pass as final code. Find out what's new in Nioh 2, and how the game has evolved over the series' debut. And yes, Action Mode and Movie Mode are back. It's 60fps vs 30fps - so which is better?

Thank you to Logitech G and the G935 Wireless 7.1 surround gaming headset for sponsoring this video. Check out Logitech G's ultimate wireless audio solution here: http://bit.ly/2YFqDgg Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly in producing work like this - and get pristine quality downloads into the bargain. https://www.digitalfoundry.net

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
TL; DW

- Lighting is a step up from the 1st game.
- Overall detail not quite on par with Sekiro but targets higher levels of performance.
- HDR is supported.
- Resolution modes can be changed without restarting.
- Screen space reflections appear chunky on any mode.

- Action, Movie and Movie-Variable mode presents.

- Action:
- Focus on 60 FPS w/ dynamic resolution and hit to detail level across the world.
- Pro: 1080p target, can drop to 972p or lower but stays closer to 1080p more often.
- AA technique isn't effective w/ shimmering (not using a temporal AA solution)
- OG PS4: Drops to 720p regularly. Looks jagged but worth the hit if you want 60 FPS.

- Movie:
- 30 FPS cap with higher resolution.
- Pro: 1800p using reconstruction, but can go above and below it.
- Gets RDR2 style double pixel width artifacts. Not awful but doesn't look quite as sharp.
- OG PS4: Native 1080p.
- Movie mode uses tessellation which is disabled in Action mode.
- Some shadows are also dynamic in movie mode and static in action mode.

- Variable Movie
- Similar on both machines, target respective higher resolution with higher frame rate.
- Resolution drops more often because of higher frame rate target.

- Performance:
- Action mode on Pro. 99.9% locked to 60 FPS.
- Action mode on OG: Hits 60 FPS but notable hits and hitches, smooth but not as smooth as it can be.
- Movie mode on Pro. Targets 30 FPS with dips. Includes inherent judder (not bad frame pacing, but related to camera)
- Movie mode on OG: Hits 30 FPS consistently but has same stuttering present on Pro.
- Movie Variable: High res threshold on both, but unlocked frame rate. Mid 40's for most of the game and feels jerky.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'd give anything for From to copy these modes for their next games. Going back to Sekiro after playing NiOh is hard

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
"Doesn't have as much detail as Sekiro"
Well duh, for console one game is designed to target 30fps, one game designed to target 60fps
I noticed everytime df covers 60fps titles for consoles they're always more pessimistic while when covering the 30fps ones always lots of praises etc.

I think DF of all people should know 60fps on consoles in these games especially on base consoles too is not an easy feat and should expect not as top quality graphics, also those slight drops in fps for base PS4 was not bad at all really minor and doesn't detract from the experience will go by unnoticeable to most people playing

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more interested in a comparison between Nioh and Nioh 2. What's changed and improved? Or is it mostly the same textures and assets?

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Game looks hideous on a 4k tv using action mode. 60 fps is nice tho

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
This is the price of 60 FPS. It won't look flattering but it will give you fluidity.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I have to give props to Team Ninja from getting a stable 60fps on PS4 Pro.
No easy feat I'm sure.
Seems like console is a good place to play this one unlike Sekiro....

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Seems like this is as far as they can push the aging tech. The compromises are obvious from the video but I doubt many Nioh fans will that bothered about them. 1800 is nice but the inherent loss of image quality is a bummer but that's the cost.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
variable mode about to go from the worst version to the best version when PS5 drops John?

Seems like the future proof option to me from the devs perspective

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The few I played Nioh 1 the movie mode was horrible, like a lot worse than Demon's Souls performance (and I found that enjoyable). I don't know if I will get this (I would like finish the first one before haha), but I like they let us choose sacrifice performance or resolution.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
The variable mode is basically the PS5 mode. Very nice of them for including it.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
"Doesn't have as much detail as Sekiro"
Well duh, for console one game is designed to target 30fps, one game designed to target 60fps
I noticed everytime df covers 60fps titles for consoles they're always more pessimistic while when covering the 30fps ones always lots of praises etc.

I think DF of all people should know 60fps on consoles in these games especially on base consoles too is not an easy feat and should expect not as top quality graphics, also those slight drops in fps for base PS4 was not bad at all really minor and doesn't detract from the experience will go by unnoticeable to most people playing
You've noticed incorrectly then because that was never the intent. There are plenty of 60fps titles that look better than Nioh on this generation of systems and I've praised the heck out of them.

Sekiro isn't designed to target 30fps either, unfortunately.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
You've noticed incorrectly then because that was never the intent. There are plenty of 60fps titles that look better than Nioh on this generation of systems and I've praised the heck out of them.

Sekiro isn't designed to target 30fps either, unfortunately.
Can't think of any third person action adventure 60fps current gen game on Base consoles that has as stable 60fps framerate as Nioh and looks better and does as much

Nier Automata definitely not, only MGSV and DMCV that's it maybe one more that's definitely not plenty, both also made different sort of compromises still in different ways to achieve 60fps target and not exactly same type of game

As for Sekiro obviously they aren't trying to aim for stable 60fps on this game or hardly even reach that number and stay there at all even on the stronger consoles Pro, X. Their target is around 30fps on Base consoles yet still not stable

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
The original Nioh is one of the most ugly PS4 games around... but the gameplay was magnificent.
And it sticks much closer to the Souls template which is why I prefer it to Sekiro.