• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017

But it's the acoustics that are the most fascinating aspect of the new PlayStation 4 Pro. Thanks to the God of War photo mode, our unit was locked to a solid 170W output for an entire day and the fan noise was not problematic at all. The new machine is clearly quieter than the CUH-7100 and delivers a night and day improvement over the launch machine. The sudden, jarring shifts in fan noise are no longer an issue and similar to the CUH-7100, the high pitch and annoying whine of the CUH-7000's cooling system are gone. In the living room, during normal play, all you really detect is a constant 'hum'.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-4-pro-cuh-7200-review

I need this.

pratepon

Nov 22, 2017
Lol my launch PS4 sounds like a jet taking off when I play God of war. Would be nice to get this revision.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I got the RDR2 bundle. My PS4 Pro was already okay. I never got the jet engine sound some people described.
But yeah, the new CUH-7200 is way more silent.

What was interesting: I could clearly hear the reading sounds of the 1TB HDD inside the new PS4 Pro.
I replaced it with my 2TB HDD (which was in my old PS4 Pro that I sold) and now it's super quiet :)

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
you know, my launch pro was quiet for a while until it wasn't. how extensively did they test this version?

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Looks like I might have to replace my Pro already, because it's way too loud. Unless PS5 is really coming in 2019...
you know, my launch pro was quite for a while until it wasn't. how extensively did they test this version?
My Pro was a lot quieter than it is now when I first got it, but it was still loud. And certainly a lot louder than the quiet hum described in this analysis of the new revision.

The other issue I have with my Pro, aside from the fan noise, is also a really annoying coil-whine noise whenever playing Pro patched games. Not sure if that's just mine or it affects other units too. I don't have any coil-whine whatsoever with my X.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
<3 my launch PS4 Pro. Never changing it as I game with headphones so noise is not an issue in the first place.

rawd

Oct 25, 2017
So on the fence but I really just want a Pro slim. This feels like I'm comprimising. sigh

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Does Sony offer any sort of replacement program? My Pro (purchased about a year ago) is a jet engine.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Holy shit. Just need to weigh up if there will be exclusives I really need to play on my pro. The launch design is unnaceptable imo. I wonder what is have to pay to get one of these. Could I buy the fan?

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
How can I buy a Pro online and guarantee I'll get one of these? Noise being so much worse than on the X is one of the main reasons I avoid PS4 for anything other than exclusives

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah my launch PS4 Pro is loud as fuck when I play certain games, but it's not a big enough deal to get a new one or something. But looking at that video reminds me of how ugly the PS4 Pro is.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who's gone thru multiple Pros over the years, i can confirm that even on high, like with GoW's title menu, the system is at a hi hum at most and not a high pitched whir.... if you manage to get one with a Nidec fan that is

I say that because i bought one initially and right away open the top to find a Delta fan, so immediately exchanged it and managed to get one with a Nidec. Yes, it really does make that much of a difference in the overall sound profile.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
so, did they open the unit to see what has changed??? did they change the type of fan??

just wondering if that would be an easy DIY

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank god I bought mine recently, I traded my launch PS4 exactly because it was transforming into a jet the moment it booted a game up.

The Pro went loud on me one time on day 1, but it was entirely my fault because it was crammed with a lot of shit and wires where I placed it. The moment dropped down the tablet to give it more breathing room and placed the wires more intelligently, it was fine.

AETOS

Nov 1, 2017
Lol my launch PS4 sounds like a jet taking off when I play God of war. Would be nice to get this revision.

Exact same for me. It would be nice if there is a good trade in deal. I really don't want to spend a lot more to correct an issue that should have never existed in the first place.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
How about getting it right for launch next time, Sony? I'm so disgusted with PlayStation hardware engineering this gen. Will try and return my current "Pro" for this.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
so a ~6db difference. good to see, seeing as my pro gets unacceptably loud even playing NHL.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, but that review of the noise is meaningless. My Spider-man PS4 Pro was dead quiet at first as well and then two months on now it's getting louder. Same experience I've had with pretty much every revision of Pro.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
This means I can finally go ahead and buy a PS4 Pro.

When there's a deal that is. It's still €400 everywhere over here.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, but that review of the noise is meaningless. My Spider-man PS4 Pro was dead quiet at first as well and then two months on now it's getting louder. Same experience I've had with pretty much every revision of Pro.
That's a shame. My launch Pro is still very quiet but two of our other DF Pro systems are SUPER loud. It seems to be quite variable and difficult to predict.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's gone thru multiple Pros over the years, i can confirm that even on high, like with GoW's title menu, the system is at a hi hum at most and not a high pitched whir.... if you manage to get one with a Nidec fan that is

I say that because i bought one initially and right away open the top to find a Delta fan, so immediately exchanged it and managed to get one with a Nidec. Yes, it really does make that much of a difference in the overall sound profile.

Is there a way of telling what fan you have through a model number or shining a torch through a vent? Don't want to open mine and void a warranty.

My Pro is quiet when running GT Sport and HZD at full res but I don't use it much.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
This thing is unbelievable. I just got one through the RDR2 bundle and it's just as quiet as an Xbox One X. Absolutely whisper quiet.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way of telling what fan you have through a model number or shining a torch through a vent? Don't want to open mine and void a warranty.

My Pro is quiet when running GT Sport and HZD at full res but I don't use it much.

You can pop off the top to see what fan you have without voiding the warranty.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Exact same for me. It would be nice if there is a good trade in deal. I really don't want to spend a lot more to correct an issue that should have never existed in the first place.
This. At this point there aren't a lot of games left in the PS4's lifetime that I'll play on it (mostly just singleplayer exclusives), but the noise in menus is fucking ridiculous and the general noise still way too loud. Practically unbearable during summer.