• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Q4 2019 is our first viable target for a proper generational leap in console power, but the price of that leap in technology looks daunting. Even in the here and now, the price bubbles in the PC component market are making the high cost of Xbox One X look a lot more attractive. But a relatively large 7nm processor with an Xbox One X-level cooling solution paired with a big upgrade in RAM and some kind of solid-state storage solution? That's a whole new level of expense - and financial viability more than any other factor may well push the arrival of a next-gen PlayStation or Xbox back to 2020.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...n-a-potential-ps5-deliver-a-generational-leap

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
ERA shoutout at the start.

Confirmed that Mark Cerny has been "hitting the road" talking to devs about their needs for a next-gen PlayStation.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Good write up. Nothing new or surprising for those who have been following/speculating on this stuff for a while but a great piece to get everyone up to speed and to put the hardware realities into perspective.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
If it doesn't beat a PS4 Pro handily, then don't bother just yet.
Pretty much.

7nm CPU, 32GB of RAM, and a 12TF+ GPU at $399 would be amazing. Just don't skimp on the CPU, and make sure the GPU is powerful enough that 4k across the board is standard. That way a potential PS5 Pro can be all about the framerate.

Wizzly

Jan 10, 2018
PS4 games are amazing, we don't need a new hardware so soon.

When the PS5 will launch, the PC will always be ahead, only the console exclusive games can surprise gamers not the 4K 60fps.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Honestly I feel power is getting less relevant. Higher resolutions are certainly a plus but the games we're playing on consoles right now feel jaw-dropping already and the bar gets pushed ever further.

Hit the 399 sweetspot and i'm there day one again.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing interesting or revealing in the article. But altleast it compiles all the data if anyone was interested

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Is this because you have a backlog?

Just finish your PS4 games.
I dont know why suddenly this gen people became caring about BC when Nintendo been doing it for years.

and im still laughing at this
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-exec-comments-on-backwards-compatibility/1100-6450573/

"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," Ryan told Time. "That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
yup...2020 or later...

also, contrary to some here, please don't go crazy with the specs and increase the price......USD399 is the appropriate price

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Is this because you have a backlog?

Just finish your PS4 games.
BC is objectively a useful feature to have and increases the console's value, even if people may not use it that much. It's a given they'll integrate it to the PS5 in some capacity, since MS is also invested in it. Odd response.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
- CPU is going to be biggest leap
- Please sell it at 399
- Atleast 11 tflops

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
Man I can't wait for PS Meeting 2020 =P
I hope Guerrilla will blow us away.

2371752-9420495614-1_by_.gif

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
I havent had a chance to watch the video yet, but my expectations are fully tempered around a $499 price tag. That tag makes sense when factoring in inflation and the increasing costs of R&D and manufacturing. I also expect cross gen development to actually be more of a thing for the next cycle, so the PS4Pro/X can occupy the $300 range while the new machines target a greater premium.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
cause 5 years into the market we have not get a fraction of the games (quantity and quality) past gens had, games dev cycles are taking longer and longer, and will only increase unless devs start to compromise in GRAPHIX.

If you think the increased Dev cycles for games is primarily because of graphics then I have some bad news for you...

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
The CPU improvement for next gen consoles is so exciting. 8c/16 thread Ryzen is so far ahead of jaguar that it's going to be wonderful.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
BC is a MUST for next gen!

It's pretty much gonna be a given that it will, considering they are pretty much gonna stay with the x86 architecture and that makes it infinitely easier for BC and makes it a no brainier.

Generally, while I would love to see a new system by the end of this year, I think it will be November 2019 and hopefully be at least 10 TF of power, which is more than double that of the PS4 Pro.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
So according to Eurogamer, the next-gen console should have 11 to 15 TF and 18 to 24 GB of RAM. I think they are setting their expectations too high. More than likely we'll get a lower specked console for $400 releasing Q4 2019.

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand what is the point of having 32gb of ram if discs are limited to 50gb and filling 32gb worth of data from 5400rpm hdd is gonna take forever.

Enazrat

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So according to Eurogamer, the next-gen console should have 11 to 15 TF and 18 to 24 GB of RAM. I think they are setting their expectations too high. More than likely we'll get a lower specked console for $400 releasing Q4 2019.

Why would Sony release it before 2020 ? Makes no sense to me considering the situation they are in.

Fall 2020 is my bet.