• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think DF is going to really struggle with next gen and finding engaging points of discussion when it comes to console comparisons. Differences already feel minor now between the mid gen consoles. And I can totally imagine 400% zoom comparisons on distant jaggies on native 4k outputs next gen. And at that point you gotta wonder what the point is?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think jason also said that there wasn't much difference between both systems, this is a pretty big difference

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if the PS5 is 9 tflops and the Series X is 12, you're still not going to see the kind of differences you saw at the beginning of the XB1 and PS4 gen. People with fantasies of that kind of stuff should probably reign in your thinking on that front.

honestly even the differences at the start of the gen were exaggerated.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Hostility & disparaging games journalists.
Fuck off DF, this is clickbaity rumor shit tier video.

Unsubscribed

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Both machines are going to be awesome, I'm looking forward to the Xsx, the value proposition of game pass will offset the additional cost of the console.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So this has all been debunked now? I hope the consoles are really close this Gen. A 3tf difference would be pretty huge. Well 9 vs 12

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So this has all been debunked now? I hope the consoles are really close this Gen. A 3tf difference would be pretty huge. Well 9 vs 12

I think it's feasible that the numbers are a bit higher for PS and a bit lower for Xbox. I personally think Xbox really wants the power crown so they went a little extra to make sure they have it.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
So if true, what are we expecting, PS5 multiplatform games at roughly 1890p vs Xbox Series X versions at 2160p with all else the same? There's a point of diminishing returns the higher resolution you go, so I don't think this'll be nearly as contentious as the 720p vs 1080p comparisons that took place at the beginning of this gen. Guessing the PS5 also comes in cheaper than the Series X if this difference pans out.

Was the gap ever that big though? Pretty if the PS4 version was 1080p then the XB1 was 900p. 720p was only a thing when the PS4 version was 900 in the first place.

Duderino

Nov 2, 2017
I can see a future where MS big play with the Xbox Series X is to advertise it as the pinnacle of Raytracing on consoles, sell it at a higher cost, and rely on developers to help justify the price point through strong Raytracing showcases.

Solid strategy, but it is a much bigger ask of developers compared to the Xbox One X's key differentiator, resolution.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Because taking away options like that isnt wise, especially with BC in mind and people with tons of PS4 discs

Yeah, and with multiple 300GB BDXL discs or the 1TB ADs, it's a nice alternative, bringing the game back from work and playing after the install rather than having to wait for a couple of weeks of download to complete until some magic (5G/air balloons/whatever) happen in some places... worse if the download is corrupted at unlock date and requires to redownload it all because the preload package is not the post-release date package and cannot be corrected... if games start to get close or above 300GB territory and consoles ditch physical, i have to move if i want to continue playing big games.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I think jason also said that there wasn't much difference between both systems, this is a pretty big difference

It depends on what you consider a big difference to be. if the systems are pretty much the same outside of a 30% difference to GPU which is offset by resolution, you have to be really considering resolution to be the sticking point. Even XB1 had a very faulty memory set up between DDR3 and ESRAM to contend with in addition to the weaker GPU, something neither of these machines will have

Jason meant specifically the numbers irrespective of architecture. He said both Sony and MS are aiming higher than the 10.7 number.

Oh. Well either he must know something we dont know regarding Sony changing clocks since this data, or he just got this one wrong.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Thats interesting. I don't doubt you're correct, but do you have a link where he explicitly states this?

www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT7| - nm

Told y'all both Sony and MS were aiming to beat Stadia's number. Anyway, I'm no engineer, but my understanding from talking to people who are is that the CPU speed and the streaming capabilities of the high-end SSDs on both PS5 and XB2 will make wayyy more of a difference than teraflops, which...

Told y'all both Sony and MS were aiming to beat Stadia's number.

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT7| - nm

Told y'all both Sony and MS were aiming to beat Stadia's number. Anyway, I'm no engineer, but my understanding from talking to people who are is that the CPU speed and the streaming capabilities of the high-end SSDs on both PS5 and XB2 will make wayyy more of a difference than teraflops, which...

Thank you for digging this up. That said, I don't think this really negates Inuhanyou's hypothesis.

Also, here's the entire post for context (which I agree with)

[Told y'all both Sony and MS were aiming to beat Stadia's number. Anyway, I'm no engineer, but my understanding from talking to people who are is that the CPU speed and the streaming capabilities of the high-end SSDs on both PS5 and XB2 will make wayyy more of a difference than teraflops, which seem more like console war bait than an actual measure of what video games will look like on these things. Games already look ridiculous enough; my hope (one that I imagine is shared with most reasonable gamers) is that the next generation of consoles is more focused on accessibility, 60+fps, and function rather than graphical fidelity.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I think DF is going to really struggle with next gen and finding engaging points of discussion when it comes to console comparisons. Differences already feel minor now between the mid gen consoles. And I can totally imagine 400% zoom comparisons on distant jaggies on native 4k outputs next gen. And at that point you gotta wonder what the point is?

Good thing they do more than just console comparisons.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
When was the test done that they are referring to? Was the test done 6 months ago or was the data from the test just uploaded 6 months ago?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
because it is over 10tflops...his statement was in relation to stadia which uses GCN flops. something that PS5 and XBSX doesnt have to worry about being RDNA

One thing I would like to clarify. While a 9.2TF RDNA would outperform a single Stadia GPU of 10.7TF, marketing it to the broader consumer base becomes incredibly challenging because a smaller number is a smaller number regardless of how performant it is. It is why Stadia claims "10.7TF", not "10.7 TF GCN".

Imagine how the marketing team would have get through to people- "Yes, it is 9.2TF buuu....". It's a hurdle of perception.

This is an enthusiast's forum and generally genuinely curious folks discussing in good faith would know that there are architectural efficiency upgrades that allows it perform better per TF than GCN. This is why MS is already in a better place because their TF figures surpass Stadia's regardless of architecture.

If Sony are really stuck with ~9.2TF machine, they probably will focus on everything else but that and let it be discovered when the product is launched (like Nintendo did with Switch).

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019

TrojanBlade

Oct 30, 2017
if this 9 vs 12 TF is really true, I don't see they be at the same point because that will be a big slap in the face of Sony for producing a less powerful machine and sell at the same price. I see a 399/499 PS5 vs 499/599 SX if 9 vs 12 is true. Unless MS really goes after Sony and sells at the same price point as Sony and provides a much more powerful machine by taking huge loses. If thats the case I doubt Sony will have the same success they had with PS4 vs X1. I guess we will find out soon.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
One thing I would like to clarify. While a 9.2TF RDNA would outperform a single Stadia GPU of 10.7TF, marketing it to the broader consumer base becomes incredibly challenging because a smaller number is a smaller number regardless of how performant it is. It is why Stadia claims "10.7TF", not "10.7 TF GCN".

Imagine how the marketing team would have get through to people- "Yes, it is 9.2TF buuu....". It's a hurdle of perception.

This is an enthusiast's forum and generally genuinely curious folks discussing in good faith would know that there are architectural efficiency upgrades that allows it perform better per TF than GCN. This is why MS is already in a better place because their TF figures surpass Stadia's regardless of architecture.

If Sony are really stuck with ~9.2TF machine, they probably will focus on everything else but that and let it be discovered when the product is launched (like Nintendo did with Switch).

I dont think they are stuck with it per se...if they have this is mind they decided on a target and felt like it would be best for their market. I dont think they internally would consider it a miscalculation to try and hide it.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I think Microsoft learned their lesson from Xbox One. I think if you're a fan of Xbox, you're never going to go hungry again. Series X will put food on the table. In other words, if you're a fan of Xbox, you will experience premium console graphics all generation long. Last generation it must have been painful for Microsoft seeing the power gap. But I don't think Microsoft is going to ever give it up again.

Microsoft said it: the Series X will eat monsters for breakfast.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Then Sony and MS will upgrade the hardware aswell like they did the current gen lol

Doesn't work that way, I am afraid. Theirs HW is stackable by nature, kind of like Crossfire or SLi in simplistic terms. Of course, that's the concept.

I dont think they are stuck with it per se...if they have this is mind they decided on a target and felt like it would be best for their market. I dont think they internally would consider it a miscalculation to try and hide it.

Honestly, while I don't think it is a miscalculation, companies tend to highlight features that, they consider are better on their platform. In this case, they might simply come out with game demos that best illustrate the strengths of their next gen system instead of going into numbers. That's is what Nintendo did with Switch, a platform that is computationally starved compared to current gen HW.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt this'll be the case. Similar to how things have panned out this gen, especially with the PS4 Pro and One X, I think the differences will be in resolution with all else the same. It's easier for the devs that way too, since it's just a case of resolution scaling without having to worry about individual graphics optimisations. On top of that, with checkerboarding, the differences could be even less pronounced.
I mean, lets look at it this way. Games like Horizon or GoW with 4kCB look better than nearly any native 4K on the X.

CB is more than enough, especially when you factor in studio talent and other nifty optimization tricks.

I really think a 9tf ps5 @ 399 is so fucking smart for Sony. Their studios will still make top of the line, world-class graphics and at 399 Jim Ryans "fast on-boarding"(or w/e its called) will be a reality.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I mean if you're willing to spend more money in order to get a premium experience, why would you buy a console?
I mean, with services like Xcloud and PSNow you'll be able to stream most first party titles either on your PC or phone well within the next decade.

So, ignoring which console to buy and instead focusing on consoles in general, I think most people choose a console over PC because of the ecosystem and ease of use.

I probably wouldn't pay $1,000 for a home console. But if we're looking at a $400v$500 or $500v$600 difference then I'll easily choose the more powerful system at $100 more.

Last edited:

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas

I agree, but the problem we (enthusiasts) are in currently is we still have no 100% concrete confirmation of the TF number for either console being "GCN flops" or "RDNA flops". And no, Phil Spencer retweeting a link to an article that at one point speculates it could be RDNA flops doesn't count as a company confirming it. If it was so, they would say so. They would have already said it. You're right though in that it's at least supposedly confirmed as being higher than Stadia's 10.7.

I think the safer route is to just do the standard "how many flops" math of clockspeed x CU's x whatever to get the number, and then confirm what architecture. If it's GCN, then the number is what it is. If it's an RDNA or RDNA 2 chip, then we inflate that number because apparently the bare math doesn't tell the whole story.

tl;dr only MS is in the position of "marketing" their new box yet, and even they haven't come out and declared X number of TF's and which metric (GCN or RDNA) we should be applying to said number. So since a leak is just bare data on paper, that's not enough information to go by, and Sony isn't even in the marketing mode for PS5 yet, so the perception of that number doesn't matter to them. When they're finally in that "Tease n Talk" mode they may surprise us and either say "it is 9.2TF but it's RDNA, so technically that makes it 12TF RDNA" or something, or they could say yeah, the 9.2TF is in RDNA flops, or hell, they could tell us those are old numbers or from a test box and they have a completely different speed and CU setup now. Who knows.

(sorry for the rant)

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Is the difference between 9 and 12 TF that huge given everything else these consoles will have?