• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Here it is. The one we've all been waiting for.

PUBG - Playerunknown's Battlegrounds - is back, this time running on PlayStation 4 and PS4 Pro. After a year of continual console development, how does the new version of the game look? Spoilers: rather like the existing Xbox versions... Join Rich and John for a look at the pros and cons.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get access to pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Already saw the vgtech videos which showed Xbox versions being in the lead. Wonder what df found out additionally.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, been wondering about this myself. Queued up to watch when I have a free twenty minutes lol.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Summary is pretty much base PS4 is almost exactly like Xbox but with better draw distance. PS4 Pro is 1440p and looks pretty good. They talk about the team not really optimizing for Sony hardware and such.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So 1080p on Base and 1440p on Pro. Pretty much identical across all platforms. Pro and 1X have improved textures. Performance still a bit all over the place, with the 1X still being the best console option.

AA solution seems poor on base PS4 and Pro. None of the more recent Unreal Engine updates have been added to this. Strange that all the PUBG money did not go into improving tech.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
TL;DW

- (console version) "Much improved now compared to a year ago at launch"
- OG PS4: 1080p // PS4 Pro: 1440p. HUD on Pro is also rendered on 1440p (not 2160p). Seems to support native down scaling to 1080p.
- Anti Aliasing is "absolutely terrible". Sub pixel breakup, horrible jaggies. No improvement from Xbox version.

- Xbox one S vs OG PS4: Both native 1080p. Mid-distance draw distance on PS4 improved (foliage etc).
- Pro vs Xbox X: 1440p vs 2160p but it all looks very similar.
- Base consoles vs Enhanced: Enhanced consoles have huge texture improvement (in case of both X and Pro) over their base versions.
- DF mentions that the game doesn't seem to make any extra notable use of XBX's 4GB RAM advantage, since Pro with lesser RAM still has the same higher quality textures as X does over the base versions.

- Performance is very similar to XBox versions in both base and enhanced cases.
- Pro is improved over OG PS4. Lurches in performance on plane but stabilizes shortly. Pro is smoother than OG, but both aren't that great. After landing both consoles stabilize after a little bit.
- Little streaming issues still present during game play, both Pro and OG have these issues on same locations.
- However OG PS4's frametime spikes last longer than Pro. Pro stabilizes them quicker.

- Texture pop-in and streaming issues present, nowhere near as bad as launch but still there.
- Enhanced consoles handle texture streaming much better than base.
- Random issues where in some games shadows didn't seem to appear at all, but in other games they did.
- "jank".

John's words of wisdom:
"Are these complaints actually a problem or part of the fun ?"

Last edited:
OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of performance, yes.

I don't think DF made any such comment in their video at least. Outside of the initial lurches and drops during the opening plane segment, they all seem to run very identical.

Even in the VGTech videos, outside of the drops during the landing, they all ran pretty much the same.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
As expected and pretty much the same as Xbox version. Improved from launch but still very poor compared to other current games like Fortnite.

The Pro having the same massively improved textures as the X version is interesting, I guess the textures aren't taking advantage of all the extra RAM of the X, if Pro's extra 512MB RAM can handle them too.

Looks like the developer has done the bare minimum and is enjoying all that money they made, instead of investing in improving the game to make it run better, again looking at Fortnite, which saw that game go from 30fps to 60fps with updates, and on the exact same game engine. Disappointing PUBG isn't much better after all this time.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think DF made any such comment in their video at least. Outside of the initial lurches and drops during the opening plane segment, they all seem to run very identical.

Even in the VGTech videos, outside of the drops during the landing, they all ran pretty much the same.
I wasn't talking about df in this case. It's all pretty much the same but the stats from vgtech show better fps. Doesn't mean it doesn't run good at all on consoles.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't talking about df in this case. It's all pretty much the same but the stats from vgtech show better fps. Doesn't mean it doesn't run good at all on consoles.

Yeah, those stats include the drops during landing, which is where these consoles have drops. During game play they run almost identical to each other with minor frame spike issues. The average framerate for all consoles is still >29 FPS with difference of of only some fractions between them.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the developer has done the bare minimum and is enjoying all that money they made, instead of investing in improving the game to make it run better, again looking at Fortnite, which saw that game go from 30fps to 60fps with updates, and on the exact same game engine. Disappointing PUBG isn't much better after all this time.

Reading between the lines of what Bluehole has said in the past, I've long gotten the feeling that PUBG, from 1.0 on PC onward, has been built on a much modified version of UE4 that predates official overhauls and updates for BR games and would require them to rewrite it significantly to let them port it to newer versions. Remember, when Fortnite jumped in framerate, it was also packaged with the first of several major updates to the engine itself, which is something very few games do unless the devs is also the engine maker; Epic is basically developing UE4 and Fortnite together with UE4 getting features for Fortnite and Fortnite getting those new features as fast as possible.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
"Are these complaints actually a problem or it is just part of the fun?"

It's hand-waving attitudes like this that got us technical disasters like Fallout 76. No, sub-20fps, bugs, and stupid glitches aren't fun. Don't mean to come off as harsh because I love the work DF does, but we need to move on from this.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great for an iPhone game. I still maintain UE4 is poor performance out of the box no wonder most devs develop bespoke engines on consoles. All that money and it looks garbage on consoles.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
These games are so variable it's hard to get a like for like comparison. The minimum reported framerates were during landing, when both consoles can severely dip. Where you land, how many people land in that spot, time of day etc., can all affect how low the framerate drops during this time. As DF said, and as VGTech's video demonstrates.... during gameplay, they're pretty much the same.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man so...against my better judgement I bought the PS4 version of this because I was just really morbidly curious to see this thing running on a base PS4 as I normally play on PC with pretty much everything set to max.

I was not prepared for just how big of a step down this game is compared to the PC version. The textures are probably some of the absolute worst texture work I've seen in a PS4 game.

The one positive though is I feel like they did a really smart adaptation of the controls for controllers.