• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic video!

the rtx 2080ti is about $1500cad, and the 3900x is 700. So 2200 for those parts. Add memory, hd, motherboard, case, psu and os, and you are looking at around probably $3k. Its not $4k but its steep.

But you do double performance. So xbox 1 x is 499 on sale. Compared to $3k, it is quite a steal for the performance it dishes out.
With a nice 4K gsync screen you're probably above $4k.
But nobody buys a PC because they're cheap :P

As long as I can avoid 30fps I'll always think PC gaming is worth it. I can't stand being forced to play at a low fps with no way to fix it

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually have 0 problems I was responding to the claim that single thread CPUs are having a hard time, I was trying to be cheeky haha. I think the game really does not like quad core i5s as a friend of mine with an 8600k is flawless running this game while another friend with a 7700 is struggling hard.
then GN is having some weird results then

Utlsy7A.png

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Why are you building a literal top of the line PC to compare to the X and saying the X is the better value choice? That's the most captain obvious statement you could make. Or you could build a PC with a RX 580 ($150), Ryzen 2600 ($130), B450 mobo($80), 16GB RAM ($50), and be at the same price as the 1X for similar performance (with a much better CPU and more RAM).

Edit: Forgot the HDD, add $80 for a SSHD for best value and you're still within $50 of the price of a 1X.

Edit 2: All prices current and taken from Newegg and in USD.

im not im watching a video that tries to recreate x1x settings on a pc with the best gpu on the market and making observations on the video. im sorry that you find my observations too obvious.

edit: i already have a pc. idont need to build a new one. i think some of you are mixing my comments with someone elses.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Which CPU you rolling with?

I have an i5-7600k, and I'm not sure if I can make it happen on 1440p. Maybe I'd be better off on 1080p.
I have a 3570k and rocking the same frame rate and same GPU at 1440p but with some CPU limiter to prevent the locks that occur for a few seconds at a time sometimes.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I paid $1100 for my 2080ti, 3900x is $500, you don't need a motherboard that expensive to utilize a 2080ti or 3900x.

I just pulled the prices from New Egg Canada. The EVGA GeForce was on the landing-page for the GPU section, it is a popular brand (I have an EVGA GTX 1080) and that model was on sale. The cheapest 2080 Ti is $1449 from Palit. I would probably just spend the extra money and purchase the EVGA model. None of them are $1100. The same goes for the AMD Ryzen 3900X, it is listed at $709 while the 3800X is listed at $509.

You are right, you don't need a motherboard that expensive. I am just of the opinion that if you start to build a rig with a GTX 2080 Ti and a Ryzen 3900X you probably are going to buy a high-end motherboard as well. That's exactly way I did it with my computer, so I applied the same standards here.

love how you put the price for pc in CAD to make it bigger then put the Xbox price in us dollars. Dont know how the 4 thousand dollars figure appeared, but ok :-D

Honestly, that was just a mistake. I thought the Xbox One X was $499 CAD.

The $4000 figure comes from the fact that if you were to build this rig from the ground-up [meaning monitor, keyboard, mouse, PSU, storage drive (I have an SSD, NVME drive, two hard drives (2tb and 3tb) and an external 4tb drive] you would be likely be spending that much money.

EDIT: I am not trying to say that high-end gaming PCs are not worth it. I have a high-end set-up myself. I just think this game doesn't perform that well given the specs Digital Foundry listed in the video. I would expect much more than double the FPS when matching console settings at 4K if I had a 2080 Ti and a 3900X given how much they cost.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I just pulled the prices from New Egg Canada. The EVGA GeForce was on the landing-page for the GPU section, it is a popular brand (I have an EVGA GTX 1080) and that model was on sale. The cheapest 2080 Ti is $1449 from Palit. I would probably just spend the extra money and purchase the EVGA model. None of them are $1100. The same goes for the AMD Ryzen 3900X, it is listed at $709 while the 3800X is listed at $509.

You are right, you don't need a motherboard that expensive. I am just of the opinion that if you start to build a rig with a GTX 2080 Ti and a Ryzen 3900X you probably are going to buy a high-end motherboard as well. That's exactly way I did it with my computer, so I applied the same standards here.

Honestly, that was just a mistake. I thought the Xbox One X was $499 CAD.

The $4000 figure comes from the fact that if you were to build this rig from the ground-up

[meaning monitor, keyboard, mouse, PSU, storage drive (I have an SSD, NVME drive, two hard drives (2tb and 3tb) and an external 4tb drive] you would be likely be spending that much money.

you actually can get the one x on sale from bestbuy canada for 499 right now.

OP
OP
RadioactiveLobster
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The $4000 figure comes from the fact that if you were to build this rig from the ground-up [meaning monitor, keyboard, mouse, PSU, storage drive (I have an SSD, NVME drive, two hard drives (2tb and 3tb) and an external 4tb drive] you would be likely be spending that much money.
By that logic I hope you are including the cost of a 4K TV in the cost of that Xbox One X.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
then GN is having some weird results then

Utlsy7A.png

I actually got it wrong with the friend who was unable to get stable anything without limiting his CPU, he has an i5-6600k.

I think this graph is pretty accurate, just think that the random lows don't impact the average too hard, especially when you start raising the resolution. G-sync/NULL probably help a lot too.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
And you'll get it for the cheap price of three 1X's. Admitting that the 1X version is impressive won't make your PC love you any less in the morning, guys.
It is impressive for the price no doubt, but everyone knows the 2080ti is a ridiculously luxury-tier item at this point that has no competition, like most components at the ultra-ultra high end (such as $500 motherboards as well), the price to performance ratio gets completely skewed so there's little point to use it as any basis for comparison with a console unless you purposefully want to be disingenuous.

You could easily cut that price by two thirds and pay $500 cad for a RX 5700 and still get better performance/quality than an X at 4K, but also have the option for an interim resolution at 60fps (like 1800 or 1620p). In many other games the PC would leap far ahead. IME, my overclocked 1660 is basically a close match for the OneX that I paid $300 for 6 months ago when we're talking about games in ~4k, but again I have the option in many games to drop the res 1440p and get 60fps if I wish which you often don't have on the X (and even when you do it's largely a 1080p option, and in some cases (like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Gears of War 4) it still can't hold 60fps).

Thank you for this Dictator, however relevant to the above, is there going to be another video showing what is possible with more midrange offerings? I get that you have a 2080ti and it's useful to see how any game can scale from a technical perspective, but I'm interested to see how less-niche hardware holds up against the X.

Also annoying to hear the 30fps lock has frame pacing issues which is altogether far too common in PC games that offer it, really wish more developers would figure out a way get a stable 30fps limiter, like Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Batman have done - good frame pacing and decent controller response. This is of course fixable usually with Rivatuner or Nvidia half-rate refresh but it's annoying how often I have to revert to those when a game offers it. I guess part of the problem is that most PC gamers don't play on TV's and have adaptive/gsync taking take of it or simply don't notice poor frame pacing when FPS are low when they're using a mouse. Really sticks out like a sore thumb when you're slowly panning a scene with a gamepad though.

Last edited:

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
im not im watching a video that tries to recreate x1x settings on a pc with the best gpu on the market and making observations on the video. im sorry that you find my observations too obvious.

edit: i already have a pc. idont need to build a new one. i think some of you are mixing my comments with someone elses.
Sorry, I thought you were the person who initially put together the PC build to compare to a 1X. I should have quoted SlothmanAllen.

Although anyone comparing that build to the 1X and calling the 1X a value based on that is just being disingenuous.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I just went to New Egg and selected:
EVGA GeForce GTX 2080 TI $1484 ($90 off regular price)
AMD Ryzen 3900X $709
16Gb G.Skil Trident Z DDR 3200 MHz $119 (same memory I have)
ASUS AMD AM4 ROG Crosshair VII Hero $459 (modern equivalent of the Maximus IX Hero I have)

and the total with tax and shipping was $3,147.51. I also didn't add an NVME drive or even look at a PSU, case, etc. Like I said, if you were to build that computer from scratch you would be looking at $4000 easily.
These specs are very misleading. You can an entry level rtx 2080 ti for around 1100 which preforms very close to the higher end version since AIBs don't get that great of binned chips. Also CPU could be a 3700x or 9700k and they match the 3900x and even exceed it in gaming performance. Also you can get a z390 motherboard or x570 motherboard in the $200 range easily. And yes they will overclock and perform just fine. Fancier VRMs and power delivery is only useful at the extreme edge. Not something practical for daily use. Ram could have corsair vengance ddr4 3200 MHz FOR $70 since you are paying for RGB with that ram you selected. I spent closer to 2k to build my system and it probably even beats Alex's gaming PC in some games.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't watched the video yet but it must have been really tough to compare the 2 since time of day and lighting changes everytime you load up a save.

Oct 27, 2017
Quick heads up- do NOT put parallax occlusion mapping to ultra. It essentially breaks forest floors as it tries to shadow the entire texture (noticed this in Rhodes camp area). Looks super janky and weird...

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
That was a great video, but sometimes I hate DF's strong focus on console gaming even when it's a PC targeted video. I was hoping for a breakdown of what each setting did and it's performance impact versus quality trade off with different sections of the game tested, and to be fair we did get some of that, but mainly it came across as a guide to match the PC settings to the XB1X settings.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
That was a great video, but sometimes I hate DF's strong focus on console gaming even when it's a PC targeted video. I was hoping for a breakdown of what each setting did and it's performance impact versus quality trade off with different sections of the game tested, and to be fair we did get some of that, but mainly it came across as a guide to match the PC settings to the XB1X settings.
If you want that kind of analysis I would head over to Gamers Nexus or the myriad of other PC benchmarking sites that usually cover that in more detail. Alex's approach to this video was to address the critique that RDR2 on PC is not 'optimized' in comparison to the console versions, this is exactly what I was looking for. Other sites will give you more numbers in terms of CPU/GPU scaling, no need to duplicate it here.

Regardless, Alex does go into the % performance hit with each setting, irrespective of what the Xbox one X version delivers. I guess he could have also done this with varying locations, but I also want to see this video finished before xmas. :)

Oct 29, 2017
Based on Dictator's findings here we have an explanation as to why it's hard for equivalent hardware to match the performance of current consoles at the same resolution.

For example I have a GTX 1080 and i7 6700K (running on Vulkan), something that definitely has enough ground on the Xbox One X to nullify any extra overhead that the PC version has. Yet it's very difficult to achieve a stable 30fps at 4K on this machine, despite using Xbox One X equivalent settings. I think the reason why is because like we thought, some of the more taxing graphical effects on Xbox are probably running at lower than low settings. I suspect some things might be drawn at slightly under native res on Xbox One X as well, which would explain why it achieves a more stable framerate.

The PC version also has really odd visual bugs at times, some of the resolution scaling options cause artifacts, sometimes solved by changing the game to windowed mode and back. Another bug that myself and others are having is the hair and facial hair lighting bugging out. I noticed that maybe it's the hair lighting pass buffer being misaligned, or only applied on part of the image on certain resolutions or settings, because the lighting only bugs out when it's out of a certain "box" on the screen. I'm far from an expert though so this is just a wild guess, I'm not even sure if this can happen.

ZrwEdoL.png

So for those of you with rigs similar to mine who wish to hit a similar performance to the X, I recommend using DSR 4K with 0% smoothness, Fullscreen in game with vsync enabled, and a 30fps cap set through RTSS. Vulkan seems to really benefit from an fps cap, and this way my frametimes are a flat 33.3ms line. Use 0.8x to 0.9x (I use 0.834x atm because it gives me no artifacting or hair glitches) resolution scale in game for a huge performance overhead whilst having almost no discernible difference from native 4K unless seen side by side, with Xbox One X Equivalent settings all being set to the higher option in those cases where Dictator was uncertain. From then on, you can easily crank Tree quality to high, Fur quality to high, turn on Long Shadows, and you even still might have enough overhead to enable Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution and Full resolution SSAO. With these settings you have a game that undeniably looks better than the Xbox One X version whilst being basically locked to 30fps at all times even in cutscenes, based on my findings so far. I haven't been to Saint Denis yet, but keep in mind I'm using driver version 431.60 which is probably costing me a few frames compared to most of you here, yet I'm still able to hit these settings without problem. Plus, I'm not too curious about trying the game ready driver since I'm having no crashing issues for the time being and I don't want to risk it. Anyway, I'll try to remember to edit this if I ever start seeing performance issues, but for now I hope this helps one of you!

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
If you want that kind of analysis I would head over to Gamers Nexus or the myriad of other PC benchmarking sites that usually cover that in more detail. Alex's approach to this video was to address the critique that RDR2 on PC is not 'optimized' in comparison to the console versions, this is exactly what I was looking for. Other sites will give you more numbers in terms of CPU/GPU scaling, no need to duplicate it here.

Regardless, Alex does go into the % performance hit with each setting, irrespective of what the Xbox one X version delivers. I guess he could have also done this with varying locations, but I also want to see this video finished before xmas. :)

I guess there was a demand for this PC game to be viewed through the lens of it's comparison to it's console version. Seems odd to me, but who am I to argue. It's was still great work, just not what I thought was coming.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
These specs are very misleading. You can an entry level rtx 2080 ti for around 1100 which preforms very close to the higher end version since AIBs don't get that great of binned chips.
Canadian prices, as has been pointed out repeatedly. If he really wanted to game the comparison more than he already did he could have chosen a number of 2080ti's with advanced cooling solutions for $2k+ canadian.

Yeah the exchange rate + Nvidia gouging really makes the 2080TI look especially ridiculous outside of the US.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
By that logic I hope you are including the cost of a 4K TV in the cost of that Xbox One X.
I don't agree on that. Everybody have a TV, gamer or not. Everybody doesn't have a PC screen if they aren't a gamer. The screen should absolutely be included in the costs as far as I'm concerned.

Iirc I payed $2.6k for my PC rig 6 years ago, that was with a 780ti and a regular screen without gsync. After that I've upgraded the gpu 2 times, first 980ti and then 1080ti. And I've upgraded to a gsync screen too. So in total I've easily payed more than $4k, probably close to $5k since I have a triple screen rig now.
I didn't have to do the upgrades though but a 780ti today isn't doing much good if you have a PC because you don't want bad performance in AAA games.

In the end, I just don't see the point in dodging the fact that PC gaming is expensive.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I don't agree on that. Everybody have a TV, gamer or not. Everybody doesn't have a PC screen if they aren't a gamer. The screen should absolutely be included in the costs as far as I'm concerned.

Iirc I payed $2.6k for my PC rig 6 years ago, that was with a 780ti and a regular screen without gsync. After that I've upgraded the gpu 2 times, first 980ti and then 1080ti. And I've upgraded to a gsync screen too. So in total I've easily payed more than $4k, probably close to $5k since I have a triple screen rig now.
I didn't have to do the upgrades though but a 780ti today isn't doing much good if you have a PC because you don't want bad performance in AAA games.

In the end, I just don't see the point in dodging the fact that PC gaming is expensive.
Why include the cost of the screen when you can hook up your PC to a TV?

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
I don't agree on that. Everybody have a TV, gamer or not. Everybody doesn't have a PC screen if they aren't a gamer.
So then hook up your PC to a TV. I mean I have a monitor (a cheap Sceptre 4k 27" 60hz that I paid around $270 for) that I do work on because well - I would need it regardless if I had a laptop or a desktop, just as I would need the 55" 4K TV I use to play most of my PC games on if I had a gen-refresh console and actually wanted to take advantage of it.

I mean I could spend $100 and get a 60hz 23" LCD for my PC, just as I could get a $200 43" 1080P TV that likely most of the population still has at this point.
It is definitely more expensive than a console. Pointing out poorly chosen components to make a comparison is the opposite of 'dodging' though.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dictator mentioned in the video Lighting Quality on ultra includes the moon rays and medium does not but unless i missed it he did not mentioned if the high setting also drops the moon rays?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
sure, so its a $ 2600 pc compared to a 499 console. price to performance still favours console. if price bothered me i wouldnt have a pc though.

Or, you know, use a $600 GPU and $300 CPU and get flawless 1440p 60fps at higher settings.

I'm running a 2070 Super and a 4 year old CPU and am managing 60-75fps at 1620p with far better visuals than the X1X version.

You don't need to run the very best hardware out there, and you have the option to scale resolution to appropriate levels

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017

Congrats for being the 1%.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
How many do you know that does that without having a regular screen? It's usually a secondary way to play.
I'm just following your logic, a monitor shouldn't be included in the price just as tv's are not included in a price of a console. I didn't have a tv yet I had a ps4 and a monitor, so was I supposed to include the monitor price with the purchase of my ps4?

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
I'm just following your logic, a monitor shouldn't be included in the price just as tv's are not included in a price of a console. I didn't have a tv yet I had a ps4 and a monitor, so was I supposed to include the monitor price with the purchase of my ps4?
Yeah I mean I doubt it's anywhere close to the majority, but I see plenty of people on forums comment on gaming on a monitor with their PS4. For cramped situations like dorm rooms it's invaluable, plus your family may not want to halt their TV viewing every time you want to game.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using an i5-6600k with the process lasso fix enabled. You'll be good!
Hmm what's this?

Also, how's your FPS?
"PC gaming is extremely expensive, as you can notice from the bad choices I'd made in the past 6 years"
Idk man, speaking only for myself, spending $1000 on a PC in 2017, then having trouble running games only two years later is frustrating.

When next gen rolls around, I'd rather spend 500 bucks on an Xbone 2 then spend double that amount on something that may not last as long

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Or, you know, use a $600 GPU and $300 CPU and get flawless 1440p 60fps at higher settings.

I'm running a 2070 Super and a 4 year old CPU and am managing 60-75fps at 1620p with far better visuals than the X1X version.

You don't need to run the very best hardware out there, and you have the option to scale resolution to appropriate levels

yeah thats the strength of pc. you have options. pick your performance/quality ratio or target and go from there. i never said we should be targeting this. im just commenting on the comparison in the video that this thread is about.

Oct 27, 2017
This video was fantastic. Amazing that you can't get even an X1X equivalent because some of the settings start out higher.

Compared to consoles, the PC settings make the character models look so much better, like they actually belong in the scene. Even Pearson in one of the opening scenes in the winter camp, you can see it near the end of the video. Will probably do a lot for the trees as well, on consoles they seem a bit trimmed down (I didn't mean that one I swear) even compared to other games of this gen.

For many years I was one of those who would upgrade to a new PC every couple of years, set all the options to max and sliders to the right, and behold both the image and the framerate. It seems like a different game now, at both the high and low ends:

"Can you make it look like the consoles, but at 60fps?"
"Can you get to native 4K at a stable fps?"
"What are the settings to make the game the best it can look right now?"
"Is there any hope for my i5-2500k and GTX670?"

It seems that adjustments and compromises to reach goals such as 60fps and native 4k are going to be with us for some time in the future. I'm curious to see what specific optimizations will take hold and become popular during the next generation, and whether they will gain their popularity from PC or console first.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Dictator mentioned in the video Lighting Quality on ultra includes the moon rays and medium does not but unless i missed it he did not mentioned if the high setting also drops the moon rays?

It wasn't clear to me either, but I rewatched that section and he says it was removed at medium and low settings. It seems like there is a lot of information that wasn't presented visually because the focus was a PC vs XB1X comparison rather than as a settings guide for the PC version.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So there are a couple of settings that are below the "low" equivalent. Stop exaggerating things. It is an incredibly achievement for a $499 box.
Where I exaggerated? The Xbox one X uses mixed setting which are far from away from ultra setting and there are even some lower to the low pc setting.. It's what you expect from such machine to achieve 4k. There is nothing of beasty or magic in the hardware as in any other. It offers what can offer a close hardware at such price. The only reason because you can't reach the same settings on a pc rig at the equivalent price, it's because it hasn't access to some lower graphic setting as the X.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
No but you're not the norm. You can't tell someone who doesn't have a PC that a PC rig cost this and that and not include the monitor, the most likely scenario is that the person will buy a monitor as well.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Idk man, speaking only for myself, spending $1000 on a PC in 2017, then having trouble running games only two years later is frustrating.
Which is why I always go for midrange or lower-end components - a RX 580 from 2017 is certainly running this game decently. Xbox one X settings at 4k native with locked 30fps? No (granted perhaps it the few lower-than-low settings were available on the PC version it might come close?), but slightly below, and better in other games. That's (well, before bitcoin boom crap which really did hurt PC gaming imo) a $230 card back then.

Bear in mind you don't throw out your SSD/HD's/Case/PSU when upgrading your rig every 2 years, and that's even if you need to upgrade your CPU/Motherboard.
When next gen rolls around, I'd rather spend 500 bucks on an Xbone 2 then spend double that amount on something that may not last as long
Depends on what you mean by "last" though - a PC gamer that had to run a game with drops below 30fps would say it's a broken port or that their PC is 'useless' now, whereas that's the standard we're using in this thread as benchmark console performance.

You're not going to get an argument from me on which platform is more suitable for the majority of the public though in terms of cost or ease of use (I think the latter is a bigger barrier to PC gaming than the former actually). I had a PS4 and will no doubt have a PS5, it's just that some of the comparisons here for what is a 'typical' PC gaming cost are out of whack.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I really did not expect this thead to end up being about how expensive pc gaming when I entered the thread.

/s

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
No but you're not the norm. You can't tell someone who doesn't have a PC that a PC rig cost this and that and not include the monitor, the most likely scenario is that the person will buy a monitor as well.

An HDTV is a popular PC monitor choice these days. Ever since HDMI became a standard output for PC video cards people have been using HDTVs with their PCs.

Oct 25, 2017
I really did not expect this thead to end up being about how expensive pc gaming when I entered the thread.

/s

Yep, the second you hear consoles are running some of the more expensive stuff at medium and low (and worse), you know it's gonna be a "B-b-but my monies" thread, with some contending you need the absolute best hardware available to get an experience that exceeds what's possible on consoles. Meanwhile, I'm over here with a 1080 Ti finally playing the game I wanted when RDR2 was announced.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
He's much closer to the norm than someone who upgrades a 980ti with a 1080ti.
A <300€ cpu+gpu combo plays this game (and everything else) better than the One X and you babble about spending $5K in 6 years on your PC ...

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
An HDTV is a popular PC monitor choice these days. Ever since HDMI became a standard output for PC video cards people have been using HDTVs with their PCs.
I honestly don't know a single person that does that, not as the only way to connect the PC. Some does it for occasional comfy couch gaming but the norm among my friends is high refreshrate gsync/freesync screens, ultrawide screens are becoming popular as well.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't know a single person that does that, not as the only way to connect the PC. Some does it for occasional comfy couch gaming but the norm among my friends is high refreshrate gsync/freesync screens, ultrawide screens are becoming popular as well.

People that seek out high refresh rate and ultrawide screens are enthusiasts and hardly your average PC users. So yeah if you run with that crowd they will spend money to get the experiences they want.