• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This is a fantastic video, thanks Alex!

As I mentioned in another thread, people moan first and then ask questions later regarding the optimization of a game. The game does have its issues, but I think the system requirements of the game could have been communicated better.

I think the system requirements for Rare's Sea of Thieves is a shining example of how system requirements should look.

8dfb659f-a017-434e-a41c-38487360f224.png

The game's system requirements clearly detail the hardware required to run the game at the given settings, resolution and the frame rate target, it's fantastic!

It's very well communicated with the players and provides a solid basis for people to pick some settings for the game and then tweak from there should they desire to do so.
In-game comparisons of the visual differences is great to see in PC games, and indicators of the performance impacts of the settings is very important too!
I think it would also be great to see PC games offering settings equivalent to a particular console (providing there is a console version), so people can use those settings and scale up or down from there.

Clearly communicating the system requirements is important, this should help temper expectations and reduce the likelihood of misunderstandings regarding a game's performance, in a time when people will moan first and ask questions later.

Durante made an article on PC Gamer about optimization in games, in this article he uses Dying Light as an example of a game where people complained about the performance because they cranked up a draw distance setting and were unsatisfied with the performance, what they didn't know is that this setting goes well beyond the console versions of the game and was tailored specifically for PC Gamers.

PC Gamer: What 'optimization' really means in games

Red Dead Redemption 2 has an extensive list of settings, but you don't really know how much of a performance impact they will have until you try them.
This is how PC Gaming has been for quite some time, but I would argue that more recent games have taken a better approach to presenting options to the user, an example of a game would be Gears of War 4 and 5. These games have extensive settings lists too! However, they present them in a way that is very well communicated with the user, by detailing what hardware it stresses and by how much and even showcasing the visual differences of them in Gears 5!

Gears of War 5 - Screen Space Reflections example:

VzDaKCa.png

NzUqP4K.png

I7czeGY.png

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
nvidia doesnt perform well in this game. At this point people shouldnt be surprised anymore. Nvidia cards just wont age well in the big titles as long as both consoles use AMD. The more impressive the game is, the worse nvidia typically performs.
You do realize we are getting new consoles too, right? And new AMD and Nvidia gpus next year. You do realize technology advances? Also the more impressive game , the worse nvidia will perform ? Are you saying xbox one and ps4 perform great in titles like control? Metro exodus?Final fantasy XV? Those games are very impressive looking , yet for some strange reason the console version dont perform great. What am I missing?

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You do realize we are getting new consoles too, right? And new AMD and Nvidia gpus next year. You do realize technology advances? Also the more impressive game , the worse nvidia will perform ? Are you saying xbox one and ps4 perform great in titles like control? Metro exodus?Final fantasy XV? Those games are very impressive looking , yet for some strange reason the console version dont perform great. What am I missing?

Yes and next gen im willing to bet nvidias gpus will again age worse. FFXV Is not among the most impressive console games and has tons of code written directly by nvidia. Of course their GPUs perform better. Metro exodus also has lots of nvidia code but still performs better on AMD. To elaborate on my statement about nvidia performing worse the more impressive the game, typically the most impressive games will have code more heavily tailored to AMD gpus to get the most out of the consoles. They arent just going to rewrite all that code for nvidia GPUs. When you look at the games widely considered to be the most impressive WRT visual/performance ratio AMD performs better in almost all of them with a few exceptions.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
exactly. Your initial statement was that it has 8GB shared memory which is wrong, it has 12 GB shared memory. 3-4 is used for other system functions leaving 8GB vram for textures and stuff. Enough for ultra textures.
What about Xbox One S? How many Vram it has for games and which textures settings it uses in RDR2?

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and next gen im willing to bet nvidias gpus will again age worse. FFXV Is not among the most impressive console games and has tons of code written directly by nvidia. Of course their GPUs perform better. Metro exodus also has lots of nvidia code but still performs better on AMD. To elaborate on my statement about nvidia performing worse the more impressive the game, typically the most impressive games will have code more heavily tailored to AMD gpus to get the most out of the consoles. They arent just going to rewrite all that code for nvidia GPUs. When you look at the games widely considered to be the most impressive WRT visual/performance ratio AMD performs better in almost all of them with a few exceptions.

That's... not how any of this works. Games are written to the abstraction layer, both on PCs and consoles.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
exactly. Your initial statement was that it has 8GB shared memory which is wrong, it has 12 GB shared memory. 3-4 is used for other system functions leaving 8GB vram for textures and stuff. Enough for ultra textures.
No, 3GB is taken only by the OS and 9GB by the game, both for handling Ram and Vram.

I was incorrect by division (it's 9 and 3, not 8 and 4) but game still need to manage those 9GB for both Ram and Vram.

So my question to who has the PC version is: how much Ram takes RDR2?

OP
OP
RadioactiveLobster
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I posted this in the performance thread but I think it fits this thread better.

I was testing the settings and found something interesting. Reflection setting isn't only for the resolution of reflections on windows and stuff like I thought.

You can clearly see the difference in quality on the wooden surface of the wagon. There's also a blue light bounce/reflection on the ceiling of the barn which is more prominent on ultra settings. Global illumination is the same(High) for both screenshots.

ULTRA reflection quality:
XvUoKaV.jpg

LOW reflection quality:
PpTWQHD.jpg

I hope Dictator can explain what's happening here.
He did.

In the video.