• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

For years, Intel's quad-core processors dominated the PC gaming landscape - but Red Dead Redemption 2 really needs a six-core chip or better to get the job done. Are the expected norms of PC gaming about to change radically? Rich has some thoughts...

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get access to pristine quality downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
No it's not, at least not for now.

The game now runs fine on 4C/4T CPUs with R's fix.

It did so before using custom stuff like BES and Process Lasso.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
No. The games performance is in no way related to how many cores it needs to run at some arbitrary number.

Feb 10, 2018
Yeah there's a ton of people in for a rude awakening next-gen.

I think RDR2 has shown us that open world games at 4k 60fps won't look drastically much better then RDR2 on next gen.

However this won't happen because they will go for 4k 30fps and better graphics.

However ssd + SoC + 16 - 24gddr6 on next will allow things never seen before, so while the 4k 60fps dream may not happen in open world games, we will still see some great improvements in games.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say it's kind of annoying to see this game struggle on certain PCs when it runs on garbage dump-tier CPUs on consoles.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I've been waiting for this game to hit Steam.
...So my i7-6700K and 1080TI should be grateful for 1080p/60fps on a mix of High & Mid settings, eh?

Hmm....

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Apparently this was not tested on the latest patch which is supposed to improve performance for CPUs with 4-6 cores. Also I would like to see tests for overclocked 6600K because you can get something around 500-700 MHz higher boost clocks out of it pretty easily.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's definitely going to be game over for quad cores this time next year, anyway. Red Dead is just the beginning. My i7 4790 had a good run but I'm definitely starting to notice it hold me back a lot more.

Ryzen 3700x time is quickly approaching.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
It's just so strange that after six years deep into this generation (with 8-core consoles) this is the first and only time this has happened. That I can remember, anyway.
Making truly parallel software is extremely hard isn't it? I wouldn't surprised if Rockstar, between the time, resources, and talent, is one of the first ones to really take advantage of it (and also didn't care if it could scale down or not)

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Even Rockstar admits it's poorly optimised, the port is a bit rushed, the crashing & stuttering isn't to do with quad cores.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's definitely going to be game over for quad cores this time next year, anyway. Red Dead is just the beginning. My i7 4790 had a good run but I'm definitely starting to notice it hold me back a lot more.

Ryzen 3700x time is quickly approaching.

Did the i7 4790 really have a good run? I had one and it could only give me 40fps in AC Unity on the lowest settings.
I'm personally fine with capping at 30fps and cranking everything up, but damn.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I think RDR2 has shown us that open world games at 4k 60fps won't look drastically much better then RDR2 on next gen.

However this won't happen because they will go for 4k 30fps and better graphics.

However ssd + SoC + 16 - 24gddr6 on next will allow things never seen before, so while the 4k 60fps dream may not happen in open world games, we will still see some great improvements in games.

lol the awakening will be rude, we will see much better than RDR 2 next gen.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol the awakening will be ruede, we will see much better than RDR 2 next gen.
Yeah, much better. RDR2 still looks extremly like a current gen game, even at ultra settings. It's really obvious graphics are going to be way better in a couple of years into next gen. That's why I'm pretty shocked at the performance demand of the game... needs next gen performance, looks like a current gen one.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I've been waiting for this game to hit Steam.
...So my i7-6700K and 1080TI should be grateful for 1080p/60fps on a mix of High & Mid settings, eh?

Hmm....
Exact same set up as me and I hit a solid 60fps at 1080p with mostly ultra and high, water at medium as it tanks framerate.

Hit a solid 30fps at 4k which does look amazing but I can't deal with 30fps because when panning, the TAA does a excellent job as well, it does give a soft image but there is no shimmering at all. I settled on 1080p 60fps.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
At least the game is using the two APIs most of the game will use soon DX12 and Vulkan. Vulkan because of Stadia and DX12 because of raytracing, it is easier when you make an Xbox version of the game.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
My I7 930 had a good run. Not actually bought this game mind due to other problems I've read about. Game simply won't boot on some AMD boards for example.

Definitely been on my mind for a year or two that any CPU I buy has to have 6 cores min. Intel finally brought some out after holding so long to 4 cores but disabled HT on some. I played through AC origins at 4k no problems on my i7 930, the hyper threading did give some extra years. Intel's slight increments and pricing games over the decade put me off upgrading. If an i5 8400/9400 had HT I might've bought one but I'm looking at AMD (never thought I'd say that) for the time being and maybe look to see what happens when the new consoles are out.

A 2600 or 3600 with a B450 mobo looks a good bet for some AC Odyssey. I'll probably give RDR2 a wide berth for a while. My GTX 1080 doesn't seem to do too well with what I'd call decent settings.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
It's just so strange that after six years deep into this generation (with 8-core consoles) this is the first and only time this has happened. That I can remember, anyway.
Coming from the same team that brought us brilliant ports like GTA IV. It is suspect.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
It's because the Jaguar cores are single threaded meaning 8-core CPUs in these consoles had 8 threads. SMT enabled CPUs were able to keep up with the consoles in that regard simply because they had better IPC, SMT, and higher core clocks. The Jaguar cores were outdated the moment they launched because anyone with a i5 2500+ based system already had a faster CPU then what was offered in the consoles. As we start gearing for next-gen the baseline consoles will have 8-core/16 thread Zen 2 based CPUs (these are probably going to outpace most CPUs that are out there right now in most people's PCs).

Nov 2, 2017
lol the awakening will be rude, we will see much better than RDR 2 next gen.
Yeah, much better. RDR2 still looks extremly like a current gen game, even at ultra settings. It's really obvious graphics are going to be way better in a couple of years into next gen. That's why I'm pretty shocked at the performance demand of the game... needs next gen performance, looks like a current gen one.
He's talking about 4k60fps though. You'd need twice the power of the X1X to be able to run a current gen game at 60fps if the X1X version is 4k 30fps. The only AMD card right now thats more than twice as fast as a 580/X1X is the Radeon VII. A lot of X1X versions aren't even 4k 30fps so you'd need a lot more for those games to hit 4k60fps. A current gen 1800p 30fps X1X game will most likely not hit 4k60fps on next gen.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I appreciate the hard work that the Digital Foundry crew are doing but this game's issue with 4-core CPUs is most certainly not a problem with the hardware, especially if we take into account that the game is using low-level APIs. Rockstar dropped the ball and we shouldn't sugarcoat it.

Last edited:

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
He's talking about 4k60fps though. You'd need twice the power of the X1X to be able to run a current gen game at 60fps if the X1X version is 4k 30fps. The only AMD card right now thats more than twice as fast as a 580/X1X is the Radeon VII. A lot of X1X versions aren't even 4k 30fps so you'd need a lot more for those games to hit 4k60fps. A current gen 1800p 30fps X1X game will most likely not hit 4k60fps on next gen.

on RDR 2 the 5700 XT performs nearly as good as the Radeon 7 and the future software API will be the same next-gen DX12 and Vulkan API. And from rumor, next-generation console GPU will be a bit more powerful than a 5700 XT, but not high end.

Did u even read my post u originally replied too?

It seems we are in a agreement.

Sorry did not read wll your post.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
The awakening will be rude if you think RDR2 is the base for next-gen open world games.

Some games will have less attention to details, this is a Rockstar game made in 7 years but I think we will see many games looking better than RDR2. Some games from Rockstar themselves, Microsoft, some by Sony, Ubi Soft all the big publishers, this part I am sure of it.

We can make an avatar bet if you want?

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Can you please elaborate?
The game is typical rock star fair. Their PC ports have been unoptimized for years compared to their peers. A 4 core cpu should be able to handle the game as well as a 6 core cpu.

Rock star again chooses to do their ports differently than others when it comes to game option tweaking.