• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom's Resident Evil ports for Switch have been pretty good so far, but what's the score with the latest Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6? Capcom has released demo code, we've downloaded both and checked them out. The basics are there, resolution is high, but performance isn't quite right.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get access to pristine quality video download versions of everything we make: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
£30 let's not forget.

RE6 looks great to be fair on the demo but I'm gonna pass.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's laughable that people in the other thread actually said that they both run ''awesome'' and ''smooth''.

Also the 360 version of RE5 is better then the Switch one.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Remember - these ports were featured during Nintendos e3 Direct.

lol

Thanks DF for the work though - gonna watch the video later.

Summary
OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Summary:

Resident Evil 5:

- Docked 1080p, Handheld 720p with AA blurrier compared to XBO/PS4.
- Derived from XBO/PS4 version so has 'improvements' like wider FoV etc.
- Motion blur disabled on Switch. John comments it looks better on 360 'in motion' (compared to Switch)
- Shadows also lower resolution.
- RE5 on base PS4/XBO was close to 60 FPS but didn't manage locked frame rate (Pro and X do by brute forcing)
- NVIDIA Shield version also commented on: 720p with 'abysmal' frame rate and quarter resolution texture and effects.
- Switch version has uncapped frame rate with wildly unstable level of performance.
- Frame rate is at or above 30 FPS most of the time, but prone to drop. DF thinks a 30 FPS cap would have been much better.
- Portable mode equally bad in terms of frame consistency.
- "The 360 version feels more impressive to play"
- Switch also has longer load times compared to 360 version off a DVD (not even installed).

Resident Evil 6:

- PS4/XBO ran the game pretty flawlessly at 1080p/60.
- Docked 1080p, Handheld 720p.
- Switch version looks exactly like the other versions (no MB, shadow quality related issues)
- Performance is even less stable than RE5.
- Opening cut-scene has 17~22 FPS average
- Game-play average is 25~35 FPS, and gets worse during Chris's opening chapters. Long stretches of low 20's and the like.
- Frame rate fluctuates wildly depending on where you're looking at the screen.
- Split screen almost consistently under 20 FPS.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried the demos and I liked what I played. I dunno why but with the Switch I'd rather have native res more than anything else. I swear I'd rather have Dragon Quest at native res at ~25 fps that what we got (I know ERA is gonna hate me for this but whatevs)

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
RE5/6 had some of the most incredible object motion blur for a last gen title. So it's disappointing that it's gone here.
RE5 also had 4xMSAA on Xbox 360, which gave it a nice relatively sharp and clean look for a 720P game.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I played the RE6 demo and you could literally count the frames whenever there was an explosion/fire during Chris's part. Leon's didn't feel so bad.

I'll be skipping these. How does RE4 run? It's on sale right now.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when Nintendo reserved some time and even a short live action portion for both games during their last E3 Direct? I have no idea what they were smoking but it didn't make sense then and it especially doesn't make sense now lol.
Shame about the bad ports.

Oct 27, 2017
I tried the demos and I liked what I played. I dunno why but with the Switch I'd rather have native res more than anything else.

It feels like a "Resolution or frame rate; pick one" situation.

The blurry and muddy visuals recently killed my interest in MK11 despite being an impressive 60fps. I think these two demos looked fine but the framerates are just too choppy.

Oct 27, 2017
That's disappointing.

Especially considering MT Framework was always known for it's rock solid performance. I wonder if there were some technical problems behind the scenes or if Capcom just didn't throw enough money and time at it.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I played the RE6 demo and you could literally count the frames whenever there was an explosion/fire during Chris's part. Leon's didn't feel so bad.

I can only vouch for docked mode but, It for sure drops here and there at expected moments with alot of stuff going on but isn't too noticeable but was totally playable as it tries to stay at 60fps for the most part. I believe portable mode is much more stable at 720p.

Here are the particulars from the DF video on it and REmake and Zero. It could have and should have been a lot better, especially with it running at a lower resolution.

RE5 looks really off without the motion blur, like it's missing a lot of graphical flair.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
lol Capcom.

So on par with or worse than the PS3 versions. Yikes.
Not worse than PS3 really. RE5 is better and RE6 on par but that's performance only, docked resolution is a notable upgrade (720p -> 1080p) and obviously you have the wider FOV.

I'm betting QLOC did these ports. It sounds like 30fps caps and maybe some res drop on RE6 (say 900p) would've ironed out the performance issues.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I liked what I played. It wasn't as jarring to me as New Donk City's unevenness in Mario Odyssey or frame pacing in Bloodborne. But then, I'm not bothered by the framerate in Link's Awakening, so YMMV. Best to download the demos and see for yourself.

My main issue is just with RE6, and in particular when looking out across the city, specifically the initial rooftops scene in Chris' campaign. The subtle unevenness to the framerate strains the eyes in that scene and certain others.

That being said, the image quality is gorgeous in handheld. Maybe they should just add an option to cap the framerate.

On a side note, these games are still incredibly FUN. So really -- try the demo. They're free. See what you think.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It's laughable that people in the other thread actually said that they both run ''awesome'' and ''smooth''.

Also the 360 version of RE5 is better then the Switch one.

I think that's the product of this (and the X1 & PS4 versions) being ports of the messy PC version. I say this because while the game mostly runs well on an X1X & PS4 Pro, RE5 doesn't run at a locked 60fps on those consoles. Also, with the PC version I wanna say in 2015 they rolled out some significant updates to that version that added a lot of content that wasn't in that version while also removing GFWL. This kind of all broke the game. I think Capcom rolled out a couple of patches but the end state of that version of the game is a sorry one. It's playable but requires mods to bring that version up to where it should be as it has a lot of bugs by default. The PS4 and Xbox One versions of RE5 seem to be fixed PC ports though they have some lingering scripting issues from the PC version. Presumably the Switch version is a port of that version of RE5.

I have to wonder... does this version have No Mercy mode? On X1 and PS4 that mode is where the most significant frame drops were because of all the enemies on screen so I can only imagine that mode being a fucking slide show on Switch.

Oct 26, 2017
Absolute shameful ports. I am still in for RE5 Mercenaries with my Buddy, but damn Capcom is staying true to their low effort Switch support. I don't even blame the porting devs. They did what they could. I imagine the budget was a few rocks and a piece of string.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Good video again. Guys doing amazing work!

That performance is something Capcom!

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RE5 looked great and performed alright, I'm too used to playing it at 60fps+ though. I could be convinced at a steep discount.

RE6 is a hard pass though, while it also looked great.. still a terribly middling game with noticeably worse performance than RE5. Nah. Never.

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
I tried the demos and I liked what I played. I dunno why but with the Switch I'd rather have native res more than anything else. I swear I'd rather have Dragon Quest at native res at ~25 fps that what we got (I know ERA is gonna hate me for this but whatevs)

I agree. For me it is more preferable with single-player games.

Thanks, Capcom. Thanks for barren ports that additionally run like shit.
TO BE FAIR, they did throw Switch owners a bone by making all of the Mercenaries costumes available for the RE6 campaign, which had up until now been a PC modding feature. But yeah, it's slim picking for additional features beyond RE5 getting the QTE auto-complete function, and I'm not sure that's even new.

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Summary:

Resident Evil 5:

- Docked 1080p, Handheld 720p with AA blurrier compared to XBO/PS4.
- Derived from XBO/PS4 version so has 'improvements' like wider FoV etc.
- Motion blur disabled on Switch. John comments it looks better on 360 'in motion' (compared to Switch)
- Shadows also lower resolution.
- RE5 on base PS4/XBO was close to 60 FPS but didn't manage locked frame rate (Pro and X do by brute forcing)
- NVIDIA Shield version also commented on: 720p with 'abysmal' frame rate and quarter resolution texture and effects.
- Switch version has uncapped frame rate with wildly unstable level of performance.
- Frame rate is at or above 30 FPS most of the time, but prone to drop. DF thinks a 30 FPS cap would have been much better.
- Portable mode equally bad in terms of frame consistency.
- "The 360 version feels more impressive to play"
- Switch also has longer load times compared to 360 version off a DVD (not even installed).

Resident Evil 6:

- PS4/XBO ran the game pretty flawlessly at 1080p/60.
- Docked 1080p, Handheld 720p.
- Switch version looks exactly like the other versions (no MB, shadow quality related issues)
- Performance is even less stable than RE5.
- Opening cut-scene has 17~22 FPS average
- Game-play average is 25~35 FPS, and gets worse during Chris's opening chapters. Long stretches of low 20's and the like.
- Frame rate fluctuates wildly depending on where you're looking at the screen.
- Split screen almost consistently under 20 FPS.
Thanks for the recap!

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Enjoy more disappointing overpriced ports! Although I didn't find the RE5 demo to be that bad, but I haven't played RE5 before, so I can't personally compare. XD

Did they at least improve the loading times for REmake and 0?

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
Did I read wrong in the demo thread about the final releases having better frame rates or something like that?

Can't watch the video right now, but do they mention gyro aiming? None of the impressions I've read so far mention if the option is in (like the Revelations ports).

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Did I read wrong in the demo thread about the final releases having better frame rates or something like that?

Can't watch the video right now, but do they mention gyro aiming? None of the impressions I've read so far mention if the option is in (like the Revelations ports).

that was someone just speculating

Jan 11, 2018
Not worse than PS3 really. RE5 is better and RE6 on par but that's performance only, docked resolution is a notable upgrade (720p -> 1080p) and obviously you have the wider FOV.

I'd argue RE6 is worse. A bump in resolution doesn't make up for worse framedrops. Also, the wider FOV was a free patch for the last gen version of RE6. It's not new to this gen. RE5 on the other hand seems to be more on par with the PS3 version. But then both of thee Switch ports are digital only. At the end of the day, these are incredibly disappointing ports and not worth getting, imho.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

No mention of gyro aiming, or at least I didn't catch it.

RE4's port also didn't have gyro aiming.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I can't watch, but how do they hold up with Mercenaries? I'd imagine the amount of enemies must drop the framerate

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's the product of this (and the X1 & PS4 versions) being ports of the messy PC version. I say this because while the game mostly runs well on an X1X & PS4 Pro, RE5 doesn't run at a locked 60fps on those consoles. Also, with the PC version I wanna say in 2015 they rolled out some significant updates to that version that added a lot of content that wasn't in that version while also removing GFWL. This kind of all broke the game. I think Capcom rolled out a couple of patches but the end state of that version of the game is a sorry one. It's playable but requires mods to bring that version up to where it should be as it has a lot of bugs by default. The PS4 and Xbox One versions of RE5 seem to be fixed PC ports though they have some lingering scripting issues from the PC version. Presumably the Switch version is a port of that version of RE5.

I have to wonder... does this version have No Mercy mode? On X1 and PS4 that mode is where the most significant frame drops were because of all the enemies on screen so I can only imagine that mode being a fucking slide show on Switch.

I'd say the PC version of RE5 is much more than "playable." There are some fan mods that fix some minor scripting errors, and I played through the campaign, the DLC, and a good amount of mercs with zero issues - at 4K/60 on a GTX 1060, no less. I'd argue it remains the best version of the game.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What do you expect for the low price Capgod is selling these for?

Blame Nintendo's crappy hardware.

Fuck Capcom's shitty releases

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I think this proves why Capcom haven't ported over the RE Engine, they're terrible at optimisation and refuse to give the job to anyone else. Pretty sure with a dynamic resolution RE6 could have hit 30fps. But they seem to be obsessed with locking resolutions and comprising frame rate. :/