• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Fun fact: Dark1x told me about this canceled remake when I met him and Alex a few weeks ago at EGX Berlin. Had to keep my mouth shut, of course, but it's cool that this sees the light of day now.

Pretty crazy that SEGA was working on this thing for so damn long only to pull the plug. What could've been.....

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was about to make the topic, seriously, why the hell was this canned and why is Sega so bizarre?!

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What the hell. Sega needs to solely partner up with AM2. D3t isn't At Games level of trash, but they're close.
What's wrong with d3t? They were clearly doing good work here then they had to turn around and do a regular port in less than 9 months, basically. They did the best they could given the circumstances.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Kinda hurts, on the other hand it doesn't look too hot either for a full-on remake.
Lots of low-poly assets and outdated lighting tech.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
SEGA seems to hate fans sometimes

Yes. Sega specifically hates their fans. That's why they cancelled it.

Gamers need to remember the people who work on this stuff need money to live and if something requires too much money it can't be made.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
FHHf4Yt.jpg

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
You know that GIF from Spongebob, where Squidwards nose falls off and his head loses air like a balloon? That's basically me reading this news.

Instead of something with actual and seemingly great effort, we get some simple buggy up-ports ... this and the 100 hours/week crunch from those poor Rockstar people remind me how unfair and bad life is ...

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's crazy.

Makes sense how the remaster ended up having so many issues on launch if they were working on this cancelled version for quite a bit of the dev time.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A cruel reminder of SEGA's possible finances I suppose. That looked really nice.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Sega specifically hates their fans. That's why they cancelled it.

Gamers need to remember the people who work on this stuff need money to live and if something requires too much money it can't be made.

Bayonetta is still SEGA ain't it? I means Sega at least knows how to make deals. So Nintendo took the hit for Bayo2. MS or SONY could have been approached to get an exclusive here. It's not like we don't care about them making money but they seem to have a history of cancelled projects, that seems like a waste of both resources and money to me.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
You know that GIF from Spongebob, where Squidwards nose falls off and his head loses air like a balloon? That's basically me reading this news.

Instead of something with actual and seemingly great effort, we get some simple buggy up-ports ... this and the 100 hours/week crunch from those poor Rockstar people remind me how unfair and bad life is ...
giphy.gif

I think that's all of us tbf

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just look at that texture quality. It must have been so heartbreaking having to toss this aside in favor of a bare bones port. I can't help but question what is going on behind the scenes at SEGA. Why would you do this? I know there's a running joke that SEGA really don't care about the franchise, but... damn.
remastero6iyb.jpg

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with d3t? They were clearly doing good work here then they had to turn around and do a regular port in less than 9 months, basically. They did the best they could given the circumstances.
I think they were the ones behind the Sega Genesis collection that just came out and Shenmue HD, while good, still suffers a few problems.

Also I confused AM2 for M2. Darn extra letter.

Also these this was d3t anyway? What the the hell this is the version we shoul've got.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
They should of kept quiet about this and just pulled through & finish it. Granted, if you read the article that was shared on Twitter, you'd also know it got cancelled over budget and delays.

I'm pretty confident enough to say people would of been more hyped if this pulled through as "Shenmue I & II" remastered over the current ports that are out. Along with that, Sega would of been able to have gotten away with charging $60 for this over $30.

If they had just done this quietly, dropped a trailer that was a month or two away from release and given it the $60 price tag, people would of still had been in for this off of hype & surprise alone lmao.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should of kept quiet about this and just pulled through & finish it. Granted, if you read the article that was shared on Twitter, you'd also know it got cancelled over budget and delays.

I'm pretty confident enough to say people would of been more hyped if this pulled through as "Shenmue I & II" remastered over the current ports that are out. Along with that, Sega would of been able to have gotten away with charging $60 for this over $30.

If they had just done this quietly, dropped a trailer that was a month or two away from release and given it the $60 price tag, people would of still had been in for this off of hype & surprise alone lmao.
This is the full article, for reference. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-segas-cancelled-shenmue-remake

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Bayonetta is still SEGA ain't it? I means Sega at least knows how to make deals. So Nintendo took the hit for Bayo2. MS or SONY could have been approached to get an exclusive here. It's not like we don't care about them making money but they seem to have a history of cancelled projects, that seems like a waste of both resources and money to me.

Sure but that requires Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo to care enough about Shenmue to want to do that.
Sony had Shenmue 3 announced at their press conference but even they didn't want to fund full remake of Shenmue 1 and 2.
I'm sure Sega would have loved to of taken an investment from elsewhere for this but sounds like they couldn't.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
So wait, was d3t the developer for both the cancelled remaster and the HD version which was released? Or two different developers?

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This totally sucks for everyone involved, and the fans, but I'm glad it sheds light on why d3t released such a buggy game. They were not given a fair shake.