• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Everything you could hope for is included in this Ultimate Edition of Sniper Elite 3 - even on the new Switch version. Effects and settings are dialled back, but on the whole it's a well-rounded port, with a solid 30fps performance level.

Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video assets: https://www.digitalfoundry.net Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
TL;DW

- PS4: 1080p.
- Switch Docked: 918p with dynamic resolution scaling. Lowest seen was 720p.
- Switch Portable: Targets 720p but can drop to 630p.
- "The game feels incredibly well optimized"
- Textures and geometry smoothing is well optimized.
- Geometry is lower resolution/less refined than PS4 in terms of LoD and polygon count.
- Shadows and lighting also lower quality in some areas. Light shafts and lens flare are removed.
- AO, DoF and Bloom are present on Switch.

- Performance was unlocked 60 FPS on PS4/XBO where it never really hits 60 FPS that often.
- Switch runs with a 30 FPS cap and DF says arguably better way to play (capped)
- Minor stuttering but performance drops are very uncommon.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, hadn't paid any attention to this but this might one of the best current gen ports to Switch.

Too bad I suck at stealth games.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Now that's a good conversion. Does everything in the right way, stable framerate which is capped, Good use of Dynamic res and settings tweaked.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
This looks like a great way to play it.

I've never been good at these games but I know a lot of people like them

Ahh, seems it was cross gen. Still compares very favourably to the PS4 version by the looks of it.
Yeah, that's the key part of the quality of the port. It especially sticks out compared to what Capcom has done to RE5 and RE6 from the taste we got from the demos that came out this week, which have no business being as sloppy as they are.

My dad is really into the series and has been playing through this game on his PS4, so I'm well aware of how wildly the framerate bounces. The Switch version implementing a 30 fps lock was a very wise decision and does wonders for how it looks in motion.

Oct 26, 2017
Ahh, seems it was cross gen. Still compares very favourably to the PS4 version by the looks of it.

So silly that Rebellion did a far better port than Capcom did with RE5 and 6, who have eons more resources and money I would assume. I wonder if their TickTock team did this. They did Rogue Trooper at least.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's the key part of the quality of the port. It especially sticks out compared to what Capcom has done to RE5 and RE6 from the taste we got from the demos that came out this week, which have no business being as sloppy as they are.

My dad is really into the series and has been playing through this game on his PS4, so I'm well aware of how wildly the framerate bounces. The Switch version implementing a 30 fps lock was a very wise decision and does wonders for how it looks in motion.
So silly that Rebellion did a far better port than Capcom did with RE5 and 6, who have eons more resources and money I would assume. I wonder if their TickTock team did this. They did Rogue Trooper at least.

The comparison to RE5 and 6 was exactly the thing on my mind.

Oct 26, 2017
Ok this sounds legit amazing. Since I try to refund MW at the moment this will be my Shooter for the rest of 2019 on Switch. As I understand it, there is a horde like mode in this as well, no?

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Which Sniper game should i purchase? Is there a clear superior game in the series that is a must?

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like a great conversion, sadly releasing it at this time it will probably be drowned by other games. Would probably had a better time if it released in August or so..