• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

Technical Summary:
- Praise use of modern rendering pipeline
- Generational leap over SoulCalibur V
- Cloth physics delivered by Unreal 4 and animation were praised.
- The PC was running the game at 4K with an I5 6600K/GTX1080
- Still a lot of optimizations coming. That was the first PC build that they were able to show
- The demo didn't had any graphical option.
- Framerate target is 60 FPS. The game has some frame- stutters and had some severe framedrops. Remember that this is an early and unoptimized build

Game Summary:
- They showed six characters: Kilik, Nightmare, Groh, Mitsurugi, Sophitia and Xianghua

- The character selection screen had twenty slots. Maybe a confirmation of final roster size?
It isn't. See post 17

- The demo didn't featured Ivy and Zasalamel.

Last edited:

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
i mean...i think the game looks great...and at 4k 60fps its gonna be the def edition. i just hope they have xplay to expand the life of the game. day q for me on pc.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
It looks great as a dev build in development! Iam expecting it to be as optimized as Tekken 7 was. Namco doing it right as usual for their own PC ports.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be much more interested in a look at the console versions. No doubt the PC version will be looking good in the end. Tekken 7 however was not a looker on consoles, with low resolutions (as low as 720p) and in part significantly dialed back graphical settings. I'm a bit worried this will happen here as well. :/

I'm by the way glad they addressed the awful DOF effect. It is way overdone and I hope they either eventually significantly reduce it or let us turn it off completely in the settings. Here I fear for the console versions again though. The unsightly post processing effects of Tekken 7 you couldn't get rid of on console as well.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'd be much more interested in a look at the console versions. No doubt the PC version will be looking good in the end. Tekken 7 however was not a looker on consoles, with low resolutions (as low as 720p) and in part significantly dialed back graphical settings. I'm a bit worried this will happen here as well. :/

I would not worry. Soul Calibur from the 7th gen onward has historically been far better optimized than Tekken on consoles in addition to being superior technically, so i would not really doubt that that is the case here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I would not worry. Soul Calibur from the 7th gen onward has historically been far better optimized than Tekken on consoles in addition to being superior technically, so i would not really doubt that that is the case here.

Yes, in the past...but I don't think that is the case anymore, also with them switching to UE4 for both games. Both Tekken 7 and SC6 seem to be games optimized primarily for beefy PCs. The fact that DF also just did take a look/only were able to take a look at the PC version seems to support that.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yes, in the past...but I don't think that is the case anymore, also with them switching to UE4 for both games. Both Tekken 7 and SC6 seem to be games optimized primarily for beefy PCs. The fact that DF also just did take a look/only were able to take a look at the PC version seems to support that.

I dont really see that as the case considering its an early build. If its an early build it makes sense to show it on a platform that will best show the game prior to optimization in the modern era.

Seriously, i don't think its going to be a big deal when we get to launch

OP
OP
Ghostsonplanets
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's true. Although SC isn't looking the same IQ mess that Tekken7 with theirs post processing effects. I don't know what to expect tecnhical wise on consoles from that title. Isn't SC closed arenas compared to Tekken infinite arenas? Either way, i hope they do a great job on the console version.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, they're doing like everyone else, primarily showing off the best version early on, I'm sure the other versions will be shown off closer to the release (and people will be pissed that they've all been scaled down, as usual). Nothing strange about it really, it's just a bit unusual for the serie to not get the definitive version on console. I'm not worried about the performance but the resolution could take a hit based on Tekken 7. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X will hopefully get enhancements though, the X never got that for Tekken 7 which is a huge bummer.
Not sure how I'll do, I bought Tekken 7 on PC but I don't have a 4K monitor so if the X gets a good version of Soul Calibur VI I might get it there instead this time.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Something about this still really doesn't do it for me. I can't quite say, but it doesn't have that next-gen feel to it imo, maybe I'm wrong, but the environments and details and characters in Injustice 2 and even Killer Instinct come across as more dynamic and interesting both visually and thematically than what I've seen so far in this.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm not a big fan of fighting games, but I'm buying Soul Calibur 6 on launch. Who knew we would end up having all big names in the genre on PC?

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
- The character selection screen had twenty slots. Maybe a confirmation of final roster size?

They don't seem to have decided yet as of Evo Japan a month ago. Producer Okubo:

"We cannot yet say it'd be 20 characters. We're still working on that. Discussing it and trying to find new ideas. So no, it's probably not going to be 20 characters."

Source: Interview by Kayane (http://kayane.fr/2018/02/19/interview-with-motohiro-okubo-producer-on-soul-calibur-vi-and-tekken-7/)

___

i just hope they have xplay to expand the life of the game. day q for me on pc.

from the same interview:

"First, there are some regulations that can go both ways on both platforms, be it on Sony or Microsoft's side. They'd need to change the rules first. It isn't so much about contracts, but rather the terms of use of cross-platform. And second, it is technically feasible, but it isn't easy. When you look at the frames on the platforms' servers, they have a different rhythm to them. Depending on the platform, there can be a delay. And with games like Tekken, you need to make games locked at 60FPS, so it gets really tricky, really fast. If we make the slightest mistake, then the animations could become awkward and then you'll be in huge trouble."

well, for what it's worth..

Last edited:

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
The DoF is horrible and I see no reason for it in a fighting game, really. Distracting and it diminishes all the artist's efforts. Characters and scenarios always should come first in a fighting game, then add the post processing shit if you want.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Meh... actually I'd argue that the game looks bad. The art style combined with the character designs makes it look rather generic. Dragon Ball FighterZ is on a whole different level in my opinion.