• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll have NVME drive support. Or use NVME drives in general to shave off some additional space.

I'm aware it'd likely be a slower NVMe drive and even it it supported it, not make a noticeable difference. Just curious because in terms of pricing they are really close.

Exit: nevermind seems they'll be doing a custom solution. I imagine this time it might be integrated directly into the board then if it turns out to be true.

Last edited:

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah but grey is kinda acquired taste? Every consumer electronic that is above $100 is black/white now. I do hope Sony does more colors though and not just SE consoles.

I could go for a matte gun metal grey. Get the riced out audi vibe represented in my living room.
It's big in high end home audio.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
It'll be interesting to see more on this SSD solution they're using. Even if they bundle in a 1TB drive with blazing fast speeds, once next gen is in it's stride, I wonder how large game sizes will go? PS3 -> PS4 probably saw an average 2-3x increase in file size? So I wonder if we expect next gen games to be in the 100-250GB size as they push 4k and 8k to the limits? I suppose you can always add more storage, but 1TB might be pretty limited later in the gen, though a PS5 refresh might bump it up to 2TB or more, so it'll be less of an issue.

Oct 25, 2017
For #2 you said: "it'll be big enough to hold the entire game you're currently playing." - Thus putting a limit to the max size a game can be. I see that as a no go restriction.
The interview also confirms disc based media. The largest disc tech available is significantly less than 256-512 GB. I'd expect Sony would be encouraging devs not to go beyond the discs limits for non-network based content/patches.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I think Cerny was trying to emphasize that consoles haven't had this kind of tech and got carried away. He said he has a ssd in his laptop and it takes 15 seconds to switch from Excel to Word. Unless he's using a 32gb emmc laptop I find that hard to believe and there are already Ray tracing cards on the market that don't cost $10,000 but he's not going to give big-ups to PC's when he's trying to sell Playstations.
Yeah I forgot to even mention the Excel to Word remarks. Those should've red flagged everything following as utter bullshit that would impress only those who never peak their heads out of the console bubble.

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to know more about the audio they are talking about, I would say it sounds amazing but I haven't heard it yet! But it does sound awesome though, sound has always been hugely important and I can't wait to hear and see what the ps5 is all about!

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly find the claim that they have an unannounced technology that surpasses NVMe to be laughable.

I'm sure all of the storage manufacturers ears perked up a bit when they read that bit. "Faster than any SSD on the market" you say? Do tell. Go on.

Who says it's unannounced? A PCIe 4.0 based nVME drive would provide exactly what Cerny claims and will be the industry standard on the market by next year.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Now imagine Spider Man with RT!
HPj61FS.jpg

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Who says it's unannounced? A PCIe 4.0 based nVME drive would provide exactly what Cerny claims and will be the industry standard on the market by next year.
If it's just 4.0 NVMe he's stating it in an extremely disingenuous manner, as if it's some unique breakthrough which Sony created. You can read through these PS5 threads and see that people are taking his words to mean exactly that.

"Faster than any PC SSD on the market" should not be said if it will be run of the mill technology in PCs when the PS5 launches.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
wow, I've actually never really taken the time to look into any raytracing articles/threads before, because I don't have a 2000-series nvidia GPU myself and don't plan on it anytime soon

but this RTX on comparison screenshot definitely looks way better than it being off. if that becomes reality with the PS5 then I'm definitely interested

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
wow, I've actually never really taken the time to look into any raytracing articles/threads before, because I don't have a 2000-series nvidia GPU myself and don't plan on it anytime soon

but this RTX on comparison screenshot definitely looks way better than it being off. if that becomes reality with the PS5 then I'm definitely interested

You're joking right?

Nov 30, 2018
If it's just 4.0 NVMe he's stating it in an extremely disingenuous manner, as if it's some unique breakthrough which Sony created. You can read through these PS5 threads and see that people are taking his words to mean exactly that.

"Faster than any PC SSD on the market" should not be said if it will be run of the mill technology in PCs when the PS5 launches.

Might wanna monitor that blood pressure

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah I forgot to even mention the Excel to Word remarks. Those should've red flagged everything following as utter bullshit that would impress only those who never peak their heads out of the console bubble.
I caught that too. Maybe just an overexaggeration on his part but calls into question other numbers he revealed or statements made.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019

lol

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if they're using a tiered storage solution like StoreMI. Maybe it has 256GB of NVMe flash?

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

Omg nooooo.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017

Lol

That's not an rtx comparison. It's just a meme.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for these forums to be unreadable because of the console/spec wars

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i know you are kidding but the reflections on the skyscrapers in ny, especially spiderman's reflections or lack thereof were the only blemish in the game's visuals.

next gen, every building will have reflections and we can finally recreate not just the screenshot above, but also this scene from spiderman 3.
latest

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Man. I was thinking Sony was in a rough spot, (and MS) launching next gen consoles right as Ray Tracing on PC hits it's stride.

If the consoles don't have a Ray Tracing soltion to at least hit low levels of RT GI for a game like Metro, or say Cyberpunk 2077 then you will have games at LAUNCH on PS5 and XBOX Scarlett/Two that look a generational leap below PC games. Where ordinarily PCs have some brute Force framerate and resolution benefits. If PS5 launches in 2020, Nvidia cards with magnitudes higher Ray casting specs will be available at that time.

Imagine a Raytraced version of Cyberpunk on a 2020 RTX card, vs a PS5 with no or software only RT support? It would be a disaster. Night and day difference.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
If game installs are mandatory and we keep pushing 4k textures, 1TB SSD ain't gonna stretch very far.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So basically like a 100 GB version of an L3 cache? If the full game still has to be loaded into this cache (instead of being permanently stored there) doesn't that still result in a bottleneck?
That's not a bottleneck when gaming. While the game starts you can constantly stream the data from disk to cache, like they currently do with a game being copied from disc to disk but way faster

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No? He's stating a fact. The SSD makers are all going to be saying the same exact thing about their next generation of products coming next year.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No? He's stating a fact. The SSD makers are all going to be saying the same exact thing about their next generation of products coming next year.
But there's nothing special then to a PS5 because then it's just standard hardware with a standard bus and he was hinting at a custom solution.
In the end it's something where he might be not wrong but the way he worded makes tech people at least roll eyes (if it's really just using pcie 4.0).

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Last edited: