• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i know i shouldn't care but when he says the ps5 is about a 2060s/2070 makes me feel bad
Thats the GPU power. Extra optimizations and being the main development house yields greater performance results to consoles directly compared to PC. Id say youre safe with a 3080 if you want to be better than next gen in the performance/graphics department.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's always been this way, in fact, during other hardware cycles, we'd be getting consoles GPUs even further behind the latest PC graphics card.

The closed environment of a console allows devs to get tons of juice from a lot less. Also for consoles to be affordable, these are the type of specs they aim for.
It really isn't when you consider a fixed platform target will have much higher performance optimizations
Thats the GPU power. Extra optimizations and being the main development house yields greater performance results to consoles directly compared to PC. Id say youre safe with a 3080 if you want to be better than next gen in the performance/graphics department.

yeah folks, i know all of this, not my first rodeo, why i should know better, but still hits me on some level.

I think it speaks to part of his early thesis of his video, of how people are like why is this not 60, or even 120. they wanted that moonshot.

Feb 23, 2019
yeah folks, i know all of this, not my first rodeo, why i should know better, but still hits me on some level.

I think it speaks to part of his early thesis of his video, of how people are like why is this not 60, or even 120. they wanted that moonshot.

If it makes you feel any better TLOU2 is running on a 2012 era GPU :)

I wasn't really expecting Ray Tracing as much as what we are seeing with PS5 early in the gen

I expect lots of tricks that are much more efficient for much less performance hit while genuine RT will be reserved for cases where it makes sense

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
This was a really great video! Thanks for sharing this.

It will be interesting to see what developers do with checkerboard-like resolutions.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

I wasn't really expecting Ray Tracing as much as what we are seeing with PS5 early in the gen

I expect lots of tricks that are much more efficient for much less performance hit while genuine RT will be reserved for cases where it makes sense
yeah like i said i know, just hits me in some sublogic brain portion. i mean, look at how much ram the gamecube had and it gave us metroid prime.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Yeah this being more widespread means way more advances. This is all new and we just got RT enabled games like what 2 years ago?

Konosuke

Oct 29, 2017
Amazing video. Digital Foundry are keeping the next gen dream alive for me. I wish Sony was keen to share their console with them as Microsoft was.
While Spider-Man is impressive, it just makes me wonder what kind of magic will Gran Turismo and Forza have.
Are night scenes w/RT more expensive than day scenes?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Brilliant video. Simply brilliant. Amazin how it has taken almost two years for someone to make a video like this explaining RT.

Dictator any chance you guys can make more bite-sized tech-focused videos like these touching on other aspects of game engines or hardware architecture? Like I think something on RAM and its utilization, bandwidth and the SSD would be great too.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Very good video that helps in understanding the decisions made in raytracing implementation and how performance is handled against that. Very nice watch, i enjoyed that.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I really feel sorry for and massively appreciate the Digital Foundry team for putting out content during the height of console/platform war insanity, which has turned online videogame discussion (including this forum) into a fucking embarrassing clown school of stupidity.

Imagine being forced to use Twitter and YouTube etc for professional purposes at the moment. I have the privilege of looking away but these champions are knee deep in the shit and I hope they're all looking after their mental health and keeping things in perspective.

Last edited:

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
I think he was just comparing RT performance. 5700xt is faster than 2070s and PS5 you is faster than it

Those cards are still within 10% of the target performance (on paper) of the PS5 though. It's not like those two GPUs are way behind (or ahead).

Last edited:

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
It really isn't when you consider a fixed platform target will have much higher performance optimizations

People always say this, and I think it's just another example of not really understanding what's going on. It's not that this isn't true, but rather that the actual difference isn't super large. Yes, with fixed hardware you will have 7 years to squeeze out performance, and that will yield results... but most of those optimizations will carry over to PC development as well (and vice versa, what devs have learned in terms of Ray tracing will carry over to consoles next gen).

But "Much higher performance"? I don't think so. At least we've never seen it from the likes of pretty much ANY multi-platform game.

Last edited:

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Yes so in most scenarios of RT is not used extensively it should perform much better than 2070. This was my point

No, I don't think you get my point. 10% of performance target isn't going to translate to "much better". It's going to translate to a tiny little bit better.

The XSX is about 20% better, right? I also don't think that's going to translate to "much better" in most games. Just a bit better in most titles. You don't start to get "much" better until you hit 30%+. At leas IMHO.

Oct 25, 2017
No, I don't think you get my point. 10% of performance target isn't going to translate to "much better". It's going to translate to a tiny little bit better.

The XSX is about 20% better, right? I also don't think that's going to translate to "much better" in most games. Just a bit better in most titles. You don't start to get "much" better until you hit 30%+. At leas IMHO.
The XSX is about 17% - 18% better than PS5 from everything I've heard and you're right the differences are going to be pretty minor. I sure hope people aren't settling themselves up for a disappointment.

Last edited:

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017

Yes you are right. Performance wise it won't be much better.

I was just stating that on average 5700xt is ~4 percent slower than 2070s which in turn is just ~6 percent slower than 2080. As PS5 is better than 5700xt it should perform comparable to 2080 excluding RT which is a huge feat and much further away from disappointment

Feb 23, 2019
People always say this, and I think it's just another example of not really understanding what's going on. It's not that this isn't true, but rather that the actual difference isn't super large. Yes, with fixed hardware you will have 7 years to squeeze out performance, and that will yield results... but most of those optimizations will carry over to PC development as well (and vice versa, what devs have learned in terms of Ray tracing will carry over to consoles next gen).

But "Much higher performance"? I don't think so. At least we've never seen it from the likes of pretty much ANY multi-platform game.

I'd argue that a lot of multi platform games on X1 and PS4 looked pretty competitive with PC counterparts with substantially higher performance metrics.

Anyhow, the statement isn't something new, Carmack has made this claim in the past. And it makes sense, when you have less variables to account for you can tailor make your game to the strengths of that particular hardware. Top PS4 exclusives look ridiculously good

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
Started to watch more digital foundary videos and honestly this is one of the best. Great video Alex, even though I don't have anything that can handle Ray tracing at the moment always fascinated by the tech

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
So what GPU is the XSX (and XSS) equivalent to?
Raw performance the XSX is similar to a RTX 2080 for non ray tracing games, we still dont know how competent ray tracing will be on AMD cards. MS ran a unoptimized Gears 5 PC benchmark at ultra settings, and the XSX produced almost identical performance to a RTX 2080. XSS looks similar to a 5500 XT, but with ray tracing, the XSS GPU is clocked a little lower though.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Great video, thanks for making it.

At this point, I'm not sure RT is worth it on the consoles if it requires such a performance hit.

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017
Great video Dictator and much needed after seeing the replies that Dark1x received after sharing the RT shots on Twitter - I really don't understand why people get so nasty. This video definitely seems to be more digestible for most, and will definitely reach a wider audience than Nvidia's breakdown did when they revealed RTX and it's applications. It's exciting to see it implemented so smoothly on a launch title for the system. A lot of people said ray tracing was a flop and useless feature due to its rocky launch with nVidia's 2000 series. It's widespread adoption this generation as a mainstay feature for both consoles has help ensure that isn't the case. Real time ray tracing (and path tracing) have always been the next leap toward photo realism. Even if this gen needs up being limited to lower resolutions and cut back initial tracing scenes, it's worth it move the tech forward and looks great enough all ready.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Me comparing to the 2060S was not arbitrary - it will likely be competitve to the PS5 GPU in games. I am doing expectations Management, which is what this video was about in many ways.
So should we be looking at worse performance GPU compared to even 5700xt. I was expecting slightly better by performance citing higher teraflops and rdna2 architecture improvement

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So should we be looking at worse performance GPU compared to even 5700xt. I was expecting slightly better by performance citing higher teraflops and rdna2 architecture improvement
I think as he said he is doing expectations management. But yea 2060 s performs worse than 5700 (not 5700xt) and 5700 is weaker than ps5 in every way

Also Epic said for their demo u need 2070 super to run it at similar setting.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
when DLSS is used - eg its rendering 1080p internally - is RT still sometimes lower res on that new target? Eg 1080p for rendering, 720p for RT?

I hope we see good progress with DLSS-like solutions on both consoles in the coming years

Doc Cottle

Jan 28, 2020
It's a fair, albeit early, piece of expectation management from Alex and in terms of pure RT it may well be spot on. But NO ONE has actually seen true performance of RDNA2 cards not to mention all the tricks that fixed hardware design brings for both consoles. Games developed from the ground up with engines designed to take advantage of the new hardware supported functions will far outstrip what we see on 2060S/5700XT hardware today IMO.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a fair, albeit early, piece of expectation management from Alex and in terms of pure RT it may well be spot on. But NO ONE has actually seen true performance of RDNA2 cards not to mention all the tricks that fixed hardware design brings for both consoles. Games developed from the ground up with engines designed to take advantage of the new hardware supported functions will far outstrip what we see on 2060S/5700XT hardware today IMO.
True and 5700 already outperforms 2060s .and 5700xt is neck and neck with 2070s. So in few years i wouldn't be surprised if ps5 passes those with engine optimisation .

Oct 27, 2017
I think he's trying to use a currently available example that is capable of ray tracing. With RT turned on in a game, expect performance comparable to GPU X.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
when DLSS is used - eg its rendering 1080p internally - is RT still sometimes lower res on that new target? Eg 1080p for rendering, 720p for RT?

I hope we see good progress with DLSS-like solutions on both consoles in the coming years
If RT resolution is half in both dimensions in full res, it will be half of the new pre upsampling resolution of DLSS.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
Do you really think the PS5 GPU is worse than the 5700XT?

The 5700xt will be slower than the rtx 2060 if you could turn on any rt in a game (you can't) maybe with raytracing on the end result means the ps5 gpu does perform similarly to a 2060s? RT isn't free on any of this hardware amd or nvidia.