• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017

Highlights with regards to the console versions:
  • Both consoles operate at a dynamic resolution.
  • PS4 Pro tops out at 1440p.
  • Xbox One X resolution tops out at 2160p (4K).
  • In general, Xbox One X has a massive image quality boost over PS4 Pro.
  • Performance is a stable 60fps across both consoles, with the Pro achieving that target more often.
Temporarily disable me if old.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
PS4 Pro has slightly better performance than the X, this is why the rush for the highest res is bad.

PC version looks insanely beautiful, 1440p 100+ fps, though DF only really care about resolution and 60fps.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't play on PS4 Pro yet, but I tested it on the Xbox One vanilla and the game is blurry as hell there. It's probably below 900p =/ At least it runs at 60 fps constantly for what I played

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Also, gotta say but this game looks incredible. Gameplay and monetization aside, just wow at what this engine and the artists at DICE can pull off.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Dark1x said DF wouldn't cover this game in protest of microtransactions?
Source?

The push for 4k is going to ruin next gen framerates.
Next gen 4K shouldn't be that hard to hit, at all.

But I do think this could be an issue with the X right now. Microsoft have marketed the console so hard as a 4K machine, and even incentivized developers/publishers by offering a 4K insignia on the front of the box and some marketing to go along with it, that I can see some games pushing for 4K when they probably shouldn't. The game being discussed in this thread is one example.

ChrisV

Oct 27, 2017
No it's really not, but it has more consistent performance than the X, this is not a good look for the X.

FPS>resolution all day long, especially in a multiplayer shooter.

How is it not a good look for the X? The resolution at it's lowest, beats the Pro at it's highest and there's a 1 or 2 frame drop here or there. You would never notice that. "Not a good look" seems a little excessive.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 Pro has slightly better performance than the X, this is why the rush for the highest res is bad.

PC version looks insanely beautiful, 1440p 100+ fps, though DF only really care about resolution and 60fps.

The game has dynamic resolution. And its one or two frames.

Last edited:

Madmackem

Oct 28, 2017
No it's really not, but it has more consistent performance than the X, this is not a good look for the X.

Did you watch the video? X drops the odd frame here and there he says you'd barely notice it they are pretty much on par performance wise just x has a massive iq lead and better graphical effects.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Most of the video is X vs Pro. PC comparison starts at around 6:00. Basically it offers better tessellation and higher-res assets.
Thanks, do they mention performance at all, if it runs as great as Battlefield 1 in lower specs etc? It's crazy how good that could look on a 6 year old 7970 3GB GPU with flawless performance on really high - not Ultra - settings.

Last edited:

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
How is it not a good look for the X? The resolution at it's lowest, beats the Pro at it's highest and there's a 1 or 2 frame drop here or there. You would never notice that. "Not a good look" seems a little excessive.
Those one or two frame drops are noticeable even on those videos, a solid stable framerate is one of the most important aspects of a multiplayer shooter, and the X falls short. The Pro isn't perfect either but it's definitely more stable.

The game has dynamic resolution.
If you watched the video you'd see the dynamic scaling is still much higher on the X.

Did you watch the video? X drops the odd frame here and there he says you'd barely notice it they are pretty much on par performance wise just x has a massive iq lead and better graphical effects.
That's his opinion, I notice framerate drops very easily and could tell even from that video.

Was the X rushed? Is the occasional 1 fps dip that bad?
Consoles are rushing for 4k even if it means performance sacrifices, 2-4fps drops may not seem like a lot but it's definitely noticeable, there's a reason some developers prioritise a stable framerate.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There are slight dips on both but even on X it's only to 58-59 FPS for such a short time.

The additional resolution adds so much depth and detail to the image, it brings it to another level, something you'll never get a feel of in these comparison videos, but you'll notice straight away on a decent 4k TV.

And yes, if you throw enough money at a PC there are no limits, that's the essence of PC gaming, but I can tell you my PC would struggle to even hit 60fps at 1080p. So when people say 'PC does x' or 'PC does y' at least back it up with some actual specifications for reference, because a 486DX2-66 is also a PC and it isn't running this.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are slight dips on both but even on X it's only to 58-59 FPS for such a short time.

The additional resolution adds so much depth and detail to the image, it brings it to another level, something you'll never get a feel of in these comparison videos, but you'll notice straight away on a decent 4k TV.

And yes, if you throw enough money at a PC there are no limits, that's the essence of PC gaming, but I can tell you my PC would struggle to even hit 60fps at 1080p.

Absolutely. 2112 probably doesn't own a 4K set to appreciate the difference in IQ.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Huge advantage for the X, but they should definitely have a 1080p mode at ultra settings there.

The biggest drop they showed for xbonex was 58fps. If it were higher I would agree, but for a 2 fps deficit, I'm glad they pursued higher resolution and settings.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
Absolutely. 2112 probably doesn't own a 4K set to appreciate the difference in IQ.
Nope I own a G sync 144hz 1440p monitor and enjoy much higher framerates than either consoles, but again performance is much more important than resolution for me and should be for many other in a multiplayer shooter.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is Digital Foundry done comparing or analyzing games at 1080p? I don't own a 4K TV and likely won't for a few more years.

I'd like to know if the game downsamples on the Pro and such.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very impressive showing for XboX, but I can't help but feel that slightly smoother frame rate on the Pro is concerning, especially after seeing it in more than one game.

That's a bold statement, mind expanding on this?

Games that have pushed for 1080p this gen have taken a hit in regards to frame rate, I feel the same sort of hardware constraints will apply next gen to keep costs down and affect developers' decisions on whether to push for 4k or 60fps and as we all know, the answer to that dilemma is quite obvious .

OP
OP
Fiery Phoenix

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, do they mention performance at all, if it runs as great as Battlefield 1 in lower specs etc? It's crazy how good that could look on a 6 year old 7970 3GB GPU with flawless performance on really high - not Ultra - settings.
No word on PC performance.

So is Digital Foundry done comparing or analyzing games at 1080p? I don't own a 4K TV and likely won't for a few more years.

I'd like to know if the game downsamples on the Pro and such.
A lot of their recent output has focused on the higher-end consoles, so I guess so.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Games that have pushed for 1080p this gen have taken a hit in regards to frame rate, I feel the same sort of hardware constraints will apply next gen to keep costs down and affect developers' decisions on whether to push for 4k or 60fps and as we all know, the answer to that dilemma is quite obvious .

Yep I agree with what you say.

Then after that it will be the drive for 8k that will take priority over 60fps

It's easy to market resolution, it's hard to market performance. ESP when most gamers prefer the former

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I have been playing this on my Xbox One X through early EA Access and since 11/14 with the Elite Trooper edition, it is a true graphical showcase for the X that looks and plays like "next gen" for me. While I wouldn't mind EA further patching to take out the minor frame drops (DF who does this stuff didn't make a huge deal of it either), I have played the entire campaign and a bunch of multiplayer and always felt things were smooth throughout. Awesome showing for how much more this thing does on a 4K TV in particular than the Pro, easily worth the $100 difference over a multiple year ownership across so many games that show a difference.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's annoying how many 1X enhanced don't have locked frame rate. I mean there's so much power packed into the videocard in this thing but it seems like devs are just pushing resolution as high as it can go. I mean this, Wolfenstein 2, CoD WW2, FFXV, AC Origins all drop frames/have stutter issues while having insane IQ. That's just out of the games I've tried. I'm not sure if it's the CPU's fault, surely for the 30fps games it isn't.

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lol @ people equating the occasional max 2fps singleplayer drop to huge difference in res.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
It's annoying how many 1X enhanced don't have locked frame rate. I mean there's so much power packed into the videocard in this thing but it seems like devs are just pushing resolution as high as it can go. I mean this, Wolfenstein 2, CoD WW2, FFXV, AC Origins all drop frames/have stutter issues while having insane IQ. That's just out of the games I've tried. I'm not sure if it's the CPU's fault, surely for the 30fps games it isn't.
Well that's definitely part of it lol.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Its really just finetuning the scaler i think. I mean these 1 or 2 framedrops can easy by ironed out with dropping the res a couple of pixels more. For example Halo 5 has a great scaler.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
It's mostly CPU fault and balance of what the dev wants to achieve.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The game looks great but the horrific LOD pop in really irritates me.
Even on PC with everything maxed it's there and it's just jarring.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Oh come on. The X version is massively ahead of the Pro. Over two times the resolution, improved texture filtering, better assets in some cases.

A few minor frame dips in no way compensates for that. Side by side it's a massive difference. The Pro version is blurry. Very blurry.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
Oh come on. The X version is massively ahead of the Pro. Over two times the resolution, improved texture filtering, better assets in some cases.

A few minor frame dips in no way compensates for that. Side by side it's a massive difference. The Pro version is blurry. Very blurry.
I didn't say it wasn't ahead visually, but the performance is worse, that is bad.