Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
FreeSync display support tested on Xbox One X
It's potentially a revolution in the console space - just as it has been for PC gamers. Variable refresh technology is a big win for improving the game experience, lessening judder and removing screen-tearing. It's a pretty simple concept really, levelling out performance by putting the GPU in charge of when the display should present a new frame. It's a game-changer. No longer are unlocked frame-rates a problem - in fact, 40-50fps gameplay can look almost as smooth as 60fps. It's a remarkable trick, but crucially, it works. Nvidia's G-Sync led the way, but it's AMD's alternative - FreeSync - that has been built into Xbox One, and we've finally had the chance to test the technology. Clearly it's still early days, but at its best, the results are quite remarkable.

Video link

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
This is the one feature I hope more people demand for in future consoles. Xbox owners got something that makes putting up with the limited library worthwhile.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
FreeSync has always been amazing tech. Glad to see it finally make its way to consoles. I totally wasn't expecting this.

Also, kudos to AMD for keeping this open and keeping this at a reasonable cost while not charging a $500 premium

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Super legit feature. Hopefully the other console makers add VRR to their platforms.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I'm realizing slowing but surely that I might have to get one of these things sooner rather than later.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like VRR will overtake it on the console space but it's nice to have FreeSync as an option too

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Sounds like it's early days but I'm very excited for adaptive-sync to take hold in the Console and TV space.
Hopefully we'll see a nice 30-120hz HDMI 2.1 TV by next-gen in 2020 (and not the limited 40-60hz monitor they're testing with here).

Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
FreeSync has always been amazing tech. Glad to see it finally make its way to consoles. I totally wasn't expecting this.

Also, kudos to AMD for keeping this open and keeping this at a reasonable cost while not charging a $500 premium
Eh. The name is just a marketing brand. The whole point of freesync is that it is built on top of existing open specifications like the VESA VRR display port spec.

Intel could just do the same thing and it would work on freesync branded displays. MS seemingly have also come up with their own slightly different implementation which they didn't need to call Freesync (but did for obvious reasons).

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Games now being near locked 60fps/30fps is going to be a bless on the X. MS has made one hell of a machine!

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry I have to ask this but I couldn't watch the video for now. Is this in the OS level and not a per game basis?

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Samsung's higher end TVs from 2018 are supposed to get a software update with support for 120hz and Freesync later this year.

Troublematic

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The problem right now is that there are no 4K FreeSync monitors with HDMI 2.0 that have LFC support. They're all limited by the 40-60 Hz range. Samsung has HDR capable FreeSync 2 models that would go as low as 24 FPS without tearing, but those are 1440p 144 Hz panels.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fascinating. Awesome to see Microsoft continue to be so forward thinking in so many avenues with the Xbox One X.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sorry I have to ask this but I couldn't watch the video for now. Is this in the OS level and not a per game basis?

It's not clear at the moment. It is certain that if the game has v-sync enabled, it doesn't work as well as it should. So, probably is implemented in the OS, but developer have still to do something (like an option to disable v-sync).

Chromanin

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
I don't really get the point honestly. Isn't it better to just force the developers to raise the fps to 60? Screen tearing gets less annoying the higher the fps.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I think DF here assumed FreeSync was system level but I thought it was title by title?

Might explain the games that did not show a difference, some games have the VRR tag some dont on the store.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/top-paid/games/xbox?gamecapabilities=capabilityxboxenhanced

IYbaqUM.png

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
You guys should watch the video. It's pretty broken/useless right now.

Hopefully it becomes a new standard for TVs and consoles in the future.

PurelyChris

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
This is the one feature I hope more people demand for in future consoles. Xbox owners got something that makes putting up with the limited library worthwhile.

Seriously? Xbox owners don't "put up" with a "limited" library. Way to shit on something decent...

On topic: unlocked frame rates should be the norm next-gen, then, but I doubt we'll see mass adoption of the TVs required until a few years down the line, much like 4K.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't really get the point honestly. Isn't it better to just force the developers to raise the fps to 60? Screen tearing gets less annoying the higher the fps.

Nope. A 40-50hz game with freesync is almost as smooth as a locked 60fps game. Also, drops become unnoticeable. So more smoothness without losing eye candy. A win win.

EDIT:

DF says Sony could implement this on PS4 and PS4 Pro if they wanted. Technically it should be possible since it's software.