• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Developer Grezzo had the unenviable task of remaking and modernising one of the greatest Game Boy games of all time. Have they succeeded? Yes! Some noticeable frame-rate drops are unfortunate, but don't detract too much from what is a magnificent achievement as good today as it was 26 years ago!

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, help the team more directly in producing deep dive work like this - and get pristine quality video downloads into the bargain: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Can't watch now, but do they talk about how to make it run a tad faster, like brainchild?

Internal Download seems the way to go.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the video is a comparison between the new and old, and all the technical refinements from 2019. Highly recommend a watch.

Some salient point

Dynamic resolution:
- Docked: 1080p to 720p. Indoors mostly 972p, outdoors 720p.
- Portable: 720p indoors, 576p outdoors.

Performance:
- Final game has improved over E3 build, but still has drops. Runs similar to GamesCom build.
- Normal gameplay shows large drops from 60 to 30 FPS.
- The swamp area seems to drop the most. Other areas run much better.
- The game utilizes a double buffered V-Sync, so drops from 60 go down all the way to 30
- Transitioning areas also causes drops, which John theorizes maybe CPU related.
- Portable performance is the same as docked.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Constant streaming of data into new areas has got to be CPU and bandwidth related. The Switch blows a bit at both, and stuff like this irrespective of the perceived simplicity causes problems. Single area drops and constant resolution changes are interesting though. Sounds like the game is really pushing the CPU hard. Wouldn't be surprised if the DOF is being sampled at a high rate or something beyond what the poor little Switch GPU can handle at 60fps.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Most of the video is a comparison between the new and old, and all the technical refinements from 2019. Highly recommend a watch.

Some salient point

Dynamic resolution:
- Docked: 1080p to 720p. Indoors mostly 972p, outdoors 720p.
- Portable: 720p indoors, 576p outdoors.

Performance:
- Final game has improved over E3 build, but still has drops. Runs similar to GamesCom build.
- Normal gameplay shows large drops from 60 to 30 FPS.
- The swamp area seems to drop the most. Other areas run much better.
- The game utilizes a double buffered V-Sync, so drops from 60 go down all the way to 30
- Transitioning areas also causes drops, which John theorizes maybe CPU related.
- Portable performance is the same as docked.

Thanks for the runner up I'll see it when I get home but so far I think I'll wait for a patch.

Constant streaming of data into new areas has got to be CPU and bandwidth related. The Switch blows a bit at both, and stuff like this irrespective of the perceived simplicity causes problems. Single area drops and constant resolution changes are interesting though. Sounds like the game is really pushing the CPU hard. Wouldn't be surprised if the DOF is being sampled at a high rate or something beyond what the poor little Switch GPU can handle at 60fps.

I'd rather have them lock at 30fps and up the res a bit in outdoor areas..

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
posted in the other thread... the hue change is so gross 🤢

reminds me of the worst parts of dark souls

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Well they improved resolution a lot compared to their first UE4 game yoshi's crafted world

ErazorRain

Oct 25, 2017
Switches biggest issues are the ARM based CPU and the measly 64 bit memory bus. While the GPU improvements on next gen Switch will be nice, they *really* need to up the CPU power and memory bandwidth substantionally.

This game seems to show these 2 shortcomings pretty well, unfortunately. Still looks amazing though!

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Wow, nice on the resolution; I expected it to top out at 720p docked and maybe 480 handheld, better than expected results :)

Can't wait to watch this later!

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
looks great. seems like aside from the swamp framerate issues only pop up during transitions so that's nice. reading all the framerate concerns on here I expected it to be worse but I haven't been keeping up with the game.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
The frame drops did not hinder me to enjoy it.
Played it docked and undocked. This game had me hooked even with those small hickups.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I just don't have an eye for it, but it's interesting seeing the commentator discuss the severity of the drops vs me actually seeing the video of them. I barely notice them?

Then again I played Xenoblade 2 undocked at times so maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hoping for some patches to improve performance, but i wouldn't miss out on this game even if it was 15 fps.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

B-but I thought this is a cynical cash-grab with unacceptable performance issues.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
"a stunning remake"
"unmissable"

and yet you read the thread and it sounds like its a garbage... oh Era you so silly

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

So what does this mean, what is doubble buffered V-sync and what does it provide?

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if this is something that's "patchable"? Or are they pushing the Switch to its limits already?

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Great analysis as always, Dark1x

During our tests, the biggest bottlenecks seem to be the RAM/bandwidth.

I have two reasons for believing this:

1. Memory leaks that we've been able to reliable reproduce

2. The render target/framebuffer resetting during loading

It seems that the RAM is unable to handle loading new data without resetting the render target to its resolution before DRS, and that stalls the GPU. That GPU stall is then exacerbated by the double-buffered v-sync. The DRS notices this and comes to the rescue by lowering the resolution of the render target and freeing up memory resources, but that isn't enough to help until storage is done loading into to memory, which is why internal storage helps the issue since loading is faster on internal storage and DRS can recover the framerate sooner.

That's the situation in a nutshell.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

It seems that the RAM is unable to handle loading new data without resetting the render target to its resolution before DRS, and that stalls the GPU. That GPU stall is then exacerbated by the double-buffered v-sync. The DRS notices this and comes to the rescue by lowering the resolution of the render target and freeing up memory resources, but that isn't enough to help until storage is done loading into to memory, which is why internal storage helps the issue since loading is faster on internal storage and DRS can recover the framerate sooner.

Thank you! I wonder how much of this is fixable with patches.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, with double-buffering / 60 to 30 drops, pretty missable to me.

At least a 30fps lock should've been added.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Great analysis as always, Dark1x

Seems like a logical conclusion, for sure. Almost makes me wish I didn't buy the physical copy.