• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Straight out of nowhere, the original Doom Trilogy has been ported to the current generation consoles. Controversy surrounds the first two games - and to be clear, they do need a lot of work - but Doom 3? It's gold. If you like a bit of Doom, you're going to love this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=784MU...

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get access to pristine quality video downloads of everything we do: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Last edited:
OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Full article:

Summary:
Doom 1 and 2:

- Coded using C# using Unity as a shell.
- Uses software rendering on all machines.
- 1080p on all consoles
- Uneven pixels because of not scaling pixels properly.
- Aspect ratio is incorrect
- 35 frame rate cap on all machines, which does not divide evenly on 60hz displays, meaning uneven judder.
- Lighting is incorrect and overly bright in certain scenarios
- Music playback is slower and less accurate.
- Sound effects also seem muffled
- "This version doesn't look or sound great"

Doom 3

- Converted by Panic Button on all platforms.
- Switch 1080p/60 docked - 720p/60 undocked
- PS4 Pro/Xbox X - Native 4K with native downsampling on Pro
- Base consoles: 1080p/60 FPS
- FoV and flashlight adjustments present in Console version (equivalent to Ultra quality on PC)
- Xbox X and Pro: Rock solid 60 FPS @ Native 4K on both
- Base: Rock solid 60 FPS
- Switch: 60 FPS target is not met in larger areas. Enabling flashlight shadows and maxing out FOV also incurs frame rate drops.
- Decreasing FoV and disabling flashlight shadows gives a 15% performance improvement on Switch.
- Switch generally runs better in portable compared to Docked.
- Load times are much faster than PS3/360 versions of the BFG edition

Last edited:

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
From the article:

Despite the conversion work, this new version of Doom also retains its 35 frames per second cap -which does not divided evenly into 60Hz. In its original form, Doom was designed to run on CRT monitors at 70hz - 35 frames per second is exactly half the refresh rate, delivering consistent motion. The consoles, however, don't support 70Hz output and most will be playing at 60Hz which means uneven frame persistence leading to visible judder. Considering how many source ports eliminate this cap, I feel it was a mistake to retain the 35fps gameplay. As with Nerve's previous Doom ports, the lighting also appears incorrect and overly bright in certain scenarios.

....this explains why Doom 1 & 2 don't feel 'good' to play, imo.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For those at work, or otherwise cannot watch the video, there is a written article to support this video.

The quick takeaways are 1080p for Doom 1 and 2 and 4K for Doom 3 on X and Pro. I'll leave any further details for those that want to watch the video or read the article.
Keep in mind, when I say 1080p, I mean it only supports 1080p output. The rendering resolution is not 1080p. It's rough 1/4 of that - but still much higher than 320x200. It scales it's oddball resolution to 1080p and the scaling isn't handled well.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised that Doom and Doom II are running at 35 FPS.
With the music being played back at a slower rate, my guess was that they had slowed the game down from 35 to 30 FPS. I wouldn't be surprised if it's related to that timing difference however.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind, when I say 1080p, I mean it only supports 1080p output. The rendering resolution is not 1080p. It's rough 1/4 of that - but still much higher than 320x200. It scales it's oddball resolution to 1080p and the scaling isn't handled well.
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. It's been about 6 months since I've watched the Doom retro video, but I want to revisit it to see how Doom 1 and 2 on last gen compares.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It should be noted that some excellent 360 ports (with extra content!) were delisted so they could sell these fucking travesties. A goddamn shame, especially when stuff like gzdoom is out there for PC.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I skipped on the Doom 1 and 2 ports to be honest. I would have liked them on Switch but Delta Touch on my phone seems a way better option. GZ Doom on the go, support for custom wads, and so on. I've got a great stretch controller so it basically turns my phone into a handheld console perfect for Doom. Happy with 3 though.

Oct 25, 2017
Quick work, great detail. I really hope Bethesda and Nerve take note of what John has put together here. Doom 1 and 2 could be great ports if they had a bit more time in the oven.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Sad to hear about Doom 1 and 2's quality. Nice to see Doom 3 running at 4K/60FPS on both Pro and X though.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Native 4K 60 FPS. Good, they ddin't mess up. After all this game is 2 gens behind and not running like that would be the strange scenario.
No online and HDR right?

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gonna double dip on Doom 3 tonight for Pro. Native 4k goodness for such a fantastic game.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing this game on Switch but this seems like a solid effort for a good price.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How in the world do you mees up Doom 1 and 2 this bad on systems waaaay more capable than last gen? This is not excusable.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
How do you fuck up games that have been ported to almost literally everything.

Oct 25, 2017
Was waiting on this before grabbing Doom 3 on PS4. Happy to hear its good.

EDIT: Also, they need to make that Doom 3 DF Retro.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why the first two games are so messed up when it's the same developer that did the XBLA ports. What happened?

Native 4K 60 FPS. Good, they ddin't mess up. After all this game is 2 gens behind and not running like that would be the strange scenario.
No online and HDR right?

It released in 2004, but it's not two console generations behind by any stretch. Just to get it to run on the Xbox required massive cutbacks.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, that's odd. This just sold me on Doom 3.

On two platforms (Switch, XB1X) no less.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
By the way the inexcusable is when homebrew beats commercial. GzDoom is ported to the Switch.

Oct 26, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I've been playing Doom 1 on Switch and not really noticing any judder and the game feels great to play with a controller. Music is a little slow but other than that it looks/plays fine to me (mostly handheld mode)

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I beat Doom 3 and RoE on Pro and the IQ is very good. There are some dips in framerate, it happens at one or 2 specific scenes. Its just going a tad slower for a few seconds. For the rest its locked 60.

Its an amazing game and yeah the faster load times really help out. The auto save is still annoying though (its not integrated into background loading, but it pauses the game for a good few seconds), I would advise to turn it off and save manually now and then.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Strange that they didn't set the rendering resolution to nearer 1080p. Gzdoom supports 4k after all.

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
playing doom 3 on ps4 pro has been great. i haven't played 1 or 2 yet on ps4 but its a shame that they're so subpar.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And here's waiting for the inevitable patch and I'll download them. Especially the BNet nonsense.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Dark1x , just officially letting you know that a video on Doom 3 is absolutely, 100% something we'd all LOVE to see.

Thank you,
Signed - The World.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This sold me on Doom 3. It's not quite Doom 1/2/2016 but it still looks like a lot a fun.

Games running better portable than docked is becoming a bit of a trend on Switch.

It makes sense. 384MHz (handheld clocks most games use) is 1/2 of 768MHz (docked clocks) while 1080p is 2.25x the pixels of 720p. There's a bit more headroom in handheld mode.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Ouch. Didn't expect the Doom 1 & 2 ports to be this bad. Not worth your money with this many problems.

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ALSO it wasn't talked about in the video but I DID play DOOM 1 on iOS when it came out on Friday. It replaced the old version that Carmack himself worked on like several years ago, and since I bought that when it came out, I was able to download the new release for free. It has all the problems of the console versions but also the controls are completely fucked. It sucks especially since the old version on iOS I remember being pretty decent.

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Can I get my money back for Doom 1 and 2 somehow on the Switch? Now I feel dirty that I bought this crap. :/
Nintendo are about as stingy as Sony regarding refunds, unfortunately

Welp that's 10 dollars down the drain. Not a huge deal, though it's a shame they somehow fucked it up

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Coded using C# using Unity as a shell.

Oh boy, they are going this route. On one hand, I can see why they would use Unity, as it is very portable and runs on just about every current platform. It is much easier for Nerve to port the game to Unity and just make Unity builds for other platforms. I get that.

But at the same time... how do they screw up things that the Doom source code community has been doing right for decades? I mean... I have seen good source code ports of Doom running on refrigerators and toasters.