• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
We finally had a try of CD Projekt Red's seminal fantasy RPG, for the first time playable on a handheld. Tom and Rich pick apart what's one of the most daring conversions to Switch so far – the cutbacks are clear, but just how does it play in practise?

Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video assets: https://www.digitalfoundry.net Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
For a portable game this looks insane. Even after witnessing it, it is still hard to believe they actually managed to achieve this.
This should open a whole new discussion about what is really possible and what is not on Switch.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Looks better than I thought it would, especially in handheld.
I think docked would be the way to go if you were gonna play it on Switch though, I'm pretty impressed.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
One of the biggest questions would naturally be load times, and from what I gathered from the video, one of the more demanding locations of the game loaded only 9 seconds slower than on PS4.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I'm impressed. Does this have the option for starting with a pre levelled character for hearts of stone and blood and wine? I never finished the DLCs and I could be tempted to finish this if I can skip the main game.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, for what it is, this looks great. Of course, not even close to the PS4, Xbox One, or PC versions, but that was never going to happen.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
One of the best examples of a third party going all out due to the success of the system.

RDR2 next please, compress it onto a 64GB cartridge, a solid 240p 15fps experience wouldn't be so bad 🤣

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I would like to tell past myself as I was playing majoras maks on 3ds terrible screen in 2015 that in 5 years, nintendo would get the witcher complete on a portable....

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked that the Novigrad NPC crowds are roughly the same density as the PS4 version (albeit with reduced draw distance.) Black magic!

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This looks insane for a Switch port. Clearly it's a decent amount behind PS4, but the game looks fully intact visually - if clearly downgraded. I also love that they reintroduced a form of ambient occlusion after reading fan feedback.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only issue are those framerates hitches. If it wasnt for that I would be down to replay this on the go

But yeah comparing this to something like Doom or Wolfenstein shows just how big of an accomplishment it was to pull this off

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mighty impressive to get 540p on a $200 device this big:
2ds-xl-vs-lite.jpg

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having grown up with the Gameboy, the fact that the Switch is getting feature-complete versions of current gen games is still amazing to me.

My younger self would be over the moon. My now older self doesn't have the time to play all these amazing games. 😔

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Impressive. Just impressive.

Happy Birthday to me. Definitely gonna get physical copy. More devs need to front the bill for bigger cards.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
People were saying 30fps PS4/XOne games to Switch are not possible.

People who thought that were wrong all along. and certainly more games could be ported to Switch (like some Japanese games..) if the publishers really wanted.

This is the most impressive Switch port yet.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
"We had a set of optimisations planned basically for GPU, CPU and memory consumption, to make sure it would fit in the 3.5GB [available RAM]."

I thought that the Switch had 3.25GB available to devs?

Maybe more has been allotted for these ports, reason #43 as to why the OS is so barebones haha

Aug 3, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling and Platform Warring; Prior Warning for Similar Behavior
I guess if you only play Nintendo systems this is good thing. Great for a portable but ugly compared to the real versions.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
Outstanding job.
Hopefully some of the other consoles warriors that loved to bully this version will eat some crow.

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
Kudos to CD Project RED and also Saber Interactive. They seem to have done a remarkable job.

giphy.gif

All those tweets and forum posts from the press have actually been true (about this being a good port) not that I didn't believe them but at least this ought to shut some of the concern trolls up.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think games like this really show the difference in performance between the systems is really overplayed.
You can tell from the interview it was in great measure about properly implementing all the technology, and they don't make a big deal about how it's in a completely different league with respect to the other consoles. Still an impressive achievement, but I think by now people should realize this is the kind of things the Switch was made for in the first place.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All those tweets and forum posts from the press have actually been true (about this being a good port) not that I didn't believe them but at least this ought to shut some of the concern trolls up.

It won't. Those people either want CD Project to defy the laws of physics or not make this game at all (there are people who have literally said the latter).

It's stupid. Graphical downgrades are the inherent tradeoff of getting this demanding game to run on mobile, battery-powered hardware. It's even more impressive when you consider the size of the Switch lite and the model with the new chip that has better battery life.

Oct 25, 2017
The only issue are those framerates hitches. If it wasnt for that I would be down to replay this on the go

But yeah comparing this to something like Doom or Wolfenstein shows just how big of an accomplishment it was to pull this off
My PS4 might be dying, but Witcher 3 has some insane stutters on mine. Novigrad seems to drop into the mid teens at times. Yes I bought. It was $12 a few weeks ago and while I wasn't a fan of the controls of Witcher 2 on the 360, more accurately the unresponsive controls, I loved the story and characters. Thankfully Witcher 3 fixed those issues and it has been a very awesome game. Completely worthy of the praise. Strangely Novigrad is the only place I've experienced those drops. The notorious bog runs smooth.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
So CDPR is saying its 720p in docked and 540p undocked. DL are saying its 540p-720p docked and lower than that in handheld.

Is there anyone else that can weigh in as the info is verging onto being conflicting.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Great for the people who want it, but I just can't go from 4k/60/Ultra on PC to a Switch port despite the appeal of playing it on the go.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes ambitious is not the same as good(looking) but pretty impressive port

Then why buy it on Switch at all

Because I can, dammit!

Seriously though, some posters are taking other posters not finding this attractive pretty close to heart. I see few actually arguing that it shouldn't exist though, so the rabid defensiveness is strange (as usual).

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So CDPR is saying its 720p in docked and 540p undocked. DL are saying its 540p-720p docked and lower than that in handheld.

Is there anyone else that can weigh in as the info is verging onto being conflicting.
It's dynamic 720p docked and dynamic 540p undocked. That means that in docked, the maximum resolution is 720p but it goes lower in especially taxing scenes. In handheld, it is max 540p but goes lower in taxing scenes. Not really conflicting, it's just standard terminology for dynamic resolution.