• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

CD Projekt RED and Saber Interactive deliver a comprehensive upgrade that transforms The Witcher 3 on Switch from a great port into a superb companion experience for the PC version - and there are a wealth of new options to explore. Tom has the complete breakdown.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video downloads: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Summary
OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
TL;DW:

- Latest patch is 3.6 and changes go beyond what's mentioned in the patch notes.
- Cross save tested. Steam and GOG available and tested. All equivalent DLC must be installed for save to be compatible.
- Default settings don't show any notable difference between patch 3.2 and 3.6
- Graphical menu is similar to user made menu with more options. Most settings are post-process based.
- Options include: Sharpening, DoF, Cutscene DoF, Underwater effects, Light shafts, foliage visibility and anti aliasing.
- Foliage range limited to Low-High, omits Ultra from the unofficial mod.
- Sharpening filter recommended to Max. Low barely has any difference and has no performance impacts.
- Sharpening can cause tell-tale white halos but works reasonably well.
- AA can be disabled to improve IQ but drawback is obvious in terms of visual noise etc.
- DF recommendation: Keep AA enabled, sharpening Max.

- Performance runs most areas the same as before on default settings with very slim gains in some areas.
- Docked: Switching all settings off improves performance dramatically with near 30 FPS everywhere including the bogs.
- Docked: Gains in frame rates are even more extreme with all settings disabled in cut-scenes. Avg extra 5 FPS.
- Portable mode doesn't have much of an impact with settings disabled in either game play or cut-scenes.

Pc save support for gog or steam?

Both.

Sakuyahime

Sep 21, 2019
Argentina
This patch made it look even better! It's crazy that The Witcher 3 can run and look that good on the Switch.
I wonder how DOOM Eternal will look too in the near future!

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Cross-save is making me seriously consider picking up the Switch version even when I otherwise wouldn't.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Damn even gave us graphical options. I was not expecting SWITCH of all systems to be the first ones with a legitimate graphical options menu on their game lol

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Just incredible. I'm looking forward to a PC "ultra"/Switch "portable" playthough but my mind is still blown at what they're doing on the Switch alone.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
So I plan to play the Switch version primarily handheld, the recommended options would be to keep AA and increase the sharpening?

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
First Switch game with PC cross save support? First thing that comes to mind is whether they have checked the save game loading code against various types of attacks (overflows and so on), serialization code in games is often surprisingly fragile

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
First Switch game with PC cross save support? First thing that comes to mind is whether they have checked the save game loading code against various types of attacks (overflows and so on), serialization code in games is often surprisingly fragile

There's a few others. Most notable example is Divinity Original Sin II.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Divinity: Original Sin 2 has cross-save

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
- Portable mode doesn't have much of an impact with settings disabled in either game play or cut-scenes.
Are you sure regarding gameplay ? During the video they're only showing cutscenes footage while stating you don't get much gains in portable mode (while speaking right before about cutscenes as well) To me this sounds like you're still getting gains during gameplay but a clarification from someone at Digital Foundry would be nice.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Are you sure regarding gameplay ? During the video they're only showing cutscenes footage while stating you don't get much gains in portable mode (while speaking right before about cutscenes as well) To me this sounds like you're still getting gains during gameplay but a clarification from someone at Digital Foundry would be nice.

Not to speak for DF, but all of the graphics settings are post-processing effects that, even collectively, have a negligible effect on performance.

Edit: Disregard. Most, not all.

Last edited:

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Not to speak for DF, but all of the graphics settings are post-processing effects that, even collectively, have a negligible effect on performance.
Not all of them are post-processing effects, there's foliage visibility range as well as motion blur and depth of field settings too. And those certainly impact performance (at least in docked mode).

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Well they do mention that some settings impact the performance like the foliage setting which improves the framerate greatly in some areas which i'd assume is the same for the portable mode.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- DF recommendation: Keep AA enabled, sharpening Max.

I'm honestly shocked that's their recommendation. I thought that's the setting I would choose but the artificial sharpening is way too extreme. As someone who normally hates jaggies, my recommendation is AA off, sharpening low. I think it's the best compromise.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or has the image quality on DF videos been rough recently? Even the PC footage in this video looks poor to me. It's like the videos are extra compressed or something.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

You're right, they don't specifically talk about game play, that's just what I derived from that. If anyone from DF can comment on it, I'll update it accordingly.

I'm honestly shocked that's their recommendation. I thought that's the setting I would choose but the artificial sharpening is way too extreme. As someone who normally hates jaggies, my recommendation is AA off, sharpening low. I think it's the best compromise.

They do comment on the halo effect caused by high sharpening but generally seemed like they really appreciated the boost in clarity the extra sharpness adds.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
watching that video, it seems like you need to manually select which saves to upload/download. Can anyone who has tried this confirm? Is there no option to just always sync all saves? If true, that's somewhat annoying from a perspective of being able to just seamlessly switch back and forth between playing on a PC and then getting in some Switch sessions on the go.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
watching that video, it seems like you need to manually select which saves to upload/download. Can anyone who has tried this confirm? Is there no option to just always sync all saves? If true, that's somewhat annoying from a perspective of being able to just seamlessly switch back and forth between playing on a PC and then getting in some Switch sessions on the go.
That could case problems, as you just could launch the game on both platforms at the same time.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Have some mods ( weight and fast travel) installed on my PC version so I assume those save files won't work with the game? Haven't bought it for switch anyway, just curious.

Jun 2, 2019
- Cross save tested. Steam and GOG available and tested. All equivalent DLC must be installed for save to be compatible.

*sigh* Is this with the GOG version too?

Seems like i need to get the Expansion pass too (And i'm out of money now)

EDIT: I'll answer myself: Yes, with the GOG version too.

Goddammit, i didn't want to pay for the DLCs yet

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I haven't noticed it on any other channel though, just DF.
Nothing changes in our workflow - the intensity of compression on youtube (at 1080p, which is horribly compressed in my opinion) depends on the content. Content that has a lot of reds, or smaller moving bits (like high camera movement, foliage, or particles) will show more compression macro blocks than completely stable undyanmic footage.

So yeah, no change to our workflow and no conspiracy, just Youtube and compression working like it always has.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Graphics options? I mean, we've seen it before in some games, but this is probably the closest one to PC on a console game.

Sharpening looks necessary, while anti aliasing is kind of useless as it only makes everything blurry again.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've not played this game before. I see it's 35% off on the eShop and I have enough credit to make it cost sub-£30.

Is this a good game? I heard the combat was pretty shit.

Jun 17, 2018
I've not played this game before. I see it's 35% off on the eShop and I have enough credit to make it cost sub-£30.

Is this a good game? I heard the combat was pretty shit.

Good game, not as amazing as some make it out to be but it is very good. Combat is serviceable at best. I'm almost at the end of the story at around 50 hours and don't regret playing the game at all.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
I think Civ 6 may have been the first to offer PC cross save

Jun 17, 2018
It is amazing
What the hell

Calm down pal, I finished the game about 30 minutes ago and enjoyed it; the story was really well told. However, the way Geralt controls pissed me off, it led to a bunch of deaths that could have easily been avoided.

Combat was also just OK, it was super basic and just became an excerise in spamming the quick attack button, using a few signs and applying an oil to wrap things up slightly quicker.

That said I would give it an 8.5/10 because the story and world building was really well done.

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere so I'll ask here. Will Steam achievements unlock if I do the criteria on Switch, and then I continue that save on Steam?

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Great video. Disagree with their settings recommendation, though -- DoF off, sharpening low, AA off is the sweet spot in my opinion. All personal preference, of course, but I prefer some jaggies to a soft image, and sharpening on high is too noisy and unnatural.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Help needed. Whats a good settings for best graphics and consistent framerate? Does it still slowdown on some areas? Im using portable mode

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Help needed. Whats a good settings for best graphics and consistent framerate? Does it still slowdown on some areas? Im using portable mode
As other posters stated earlier, AA on and Sharpening to max. I also turned off DoF outside of conversations and turned off blur. Working super well for me thus far.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
So what's DF's recommendation apart from AA on and sharpening high?
I mean regarding stuff like DoF - is it worth turning it all off to improve performance?