• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This next outing from developer Gearbox takes what we know and love about Borderlands' shooting and looting and takes it to a new fantasy setting. Both PS5 and Xbox Series X are in the limelight here; both sporting 120Hz modes and 4K and 60fps options. Meanwhile it's again the case that Series S gets left behind - with a solitary 1440p mode. What else has been cut? And how do the three compare? Tom finds out.
  • not an open world, more old-school jrpg with an overworld and separate areas
  • resolution mode - 4K/60
    • 1800p to 2160p
    • Series S - 960p to 1440p
  • performance mode - 1080p/120
    • typically fixed
  • Series S has no mode toggle
  • no difference between Series X and PS5
  • Series S loses grass density
  • framerates is mostly smooth, can drop when there's lots of alphas to the 50s
  • Series S has more frequent drops
  • VRR helps Xboxs
  • splitscreen drops framerate into the 50
    • in performance mode, on a 60hz display gives you flat 60
  • performance mode caps to your tv refresh, so only 60fps on 60hz tvs
    • 90-120fps in solo
    • frame rates are higher on average on Series X, it really doesn't matter tho
  • PS5 has faster loading
    • 8 seconds on ps5
    • 11 seconds on xboxs

Last edited:

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Series S looks and feels like Blands 3 on my PS4P. I'm actually a bit angry I paid $10 extra for the X/S version.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Borderlands 3 in 1080p mode was a blurfest on my 4KTV so I would have expected the same here even with the highest frames.