• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...h-traveler-a-hybrid-game-for-a-hybrid-console

The Japanese RPG has travelled a long road since the early days of sprite-based 2D adventuring, but in Octopath Traveler we have a fascinating blend of old and new. It's a hybrid JRPG for a hybrid console, but developers Square Enix and Acquire know exactly where to push the boat out technically and where to stick to the tried and tested 2D template. The result is a beautiful and compelling Switch exclusive that's well worth checking out.

For replicating an older style it works brilliantly - it's certainly more ambitious than sticking with a traditional 2D design and the effort pays off with the effects it layers on top. A case in point is the game's high quality bokeh depth of field.

The visuals are striking but the game's sound design deserves major credit too. Rather than using a faux-retro soundtrack, the team pushes the boat out with a mixture of beautifully composed classical and Celtic tracks.

All of this goes way beyond the scope of a traditional JRPG - but there is a cost. Simply creating a 2D title on Switch would have been a far simpler endeavour, but it would have robbed Octopath Traveler of its signature, hybrid visual style. With that in mind, the resolution has to drop to suit the ambition, with pixel-count topping out at 720p while docked. On the other hand, if you're using the Switch purely as a handheld, you get all the same effects as docked play, but it simply runs at a lower resolution of 1024x576. In that case, the UI stays fixed at 720p at least, and so these elements look sharp, pixel-mapped to Switch's smaller display.

Well, whether it's docked or portable, expect a 30fps cap here, which is thankfully locked with no signs of drops from our testing so far. The only small issue in this case is the presence of frame-pacing issues. You can face entire passages of play without any trouble, but in battle especially, that frame-time line can trill constantly between 16, 33 and 50ms. Fortunately, camera motion tends to be fairly static in combat anyway, which minimises the perceivable effect of it at its peak.

Much more in the article and video.

Last edited:

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey OP try not to quote much information from the article, just pretty spots. Lets give DF some clicks.

Jan 2, 2018
Wow, the mentioning of the waving flag was interesting. I really thought it would simply loop it's animation!
Beautiful game and because of the art style I thought it's 1080p docked and 720p in handheld mode, sure looks like it in my eyes.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
native would have helped the soft image a lot but honestly the game is absolutely gorgeous. I become annoyed at the complaints "but all of the effects ruin the pixel artists' creations".. I love pixel art as much as the next guy (seriously, no lie). But "just" pixel art isn't the artistic style the game was going for. it is looking to intentionally marry the world of pixel art with the dynamic action of modern aesthetics. maybe(?) they could have offered visual options to turn off the camera, filters, etc. for purists who want to literally play a game that looks pure 16-bit.. but to me that game, while being much crisper and having the detail of the pixel work come through more.. would have visually been nowhere near as interesting as the game we have. even if cleaner and crisper.

576p? For fucks sake. I fully expected this at 720p undocked and 1080p docked.
every switch game thread.. I swear....

edit - hell, not even switch game.. every time something on ANY console runs at non-native "I expected [insert completely baseless expectations]. But running at this!?!"

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks stellar and arguably even better in handheld mode. The low-polygonal elements in docked mode get pretty obvious at points and break the aesthetic a little.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
The game is great love it. But the cutting edge technology I think it's a little too much op.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
But the low poly is the aesthetic.
I think it's more accurate to say it's emulating a 2D sprite game with light 3D elements, meant to give a 2D image depth. But in the higher resolution it occasionally becomes obvious where a polygonal object is and that it's a square mapped with a low-resolution texture. At those points it looks cheap.

It happens in handheld too, but less frequently.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Square makes more old school JRPGs in this style. I'd love to see a new FF Tactics game that looked like this for example .

DeepChord

Jan 21, 2018
I wish this game was native resolution. I'm playing in handheld mode and it's just a bit too blurry for my liking.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I've already said my piece many times but watching this video is even more interesting when compared with the likes of Sonic Mania and Xenogears, and just makes me realize that beyond the marketing of the game: Octopath isn't following anything that wasn't already a beaten path graphically, that its inspiration is closer to PS1 JRPGs than SNES in terms of visuals (2D on 3D), and that its lighting and effects are actively harming the work the 2D artists has put into this game. When footage of Sonic Mania was shown compared to Octopath, it's just striking how much of a better-looking, cleaner game Sonic truly is.

Octopath looks like a game that tries to hide its 2D behind a veneer of 40 things. Sonic Mania is an absolutely gorgeous game that isn't afraid to stand tall with the look of its crisp, gorgeous sprites and 2D backgrounds. Honestly, this is the first time a game has given me a feeling of nausea while playing and I don't have any symptoms of a condition like motion sickness. It just looks absurdly bad and overwrought to me.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I only play it in handheld mode and I see no performance or visual issues. Its just a good game to play.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game looks good, but it's still kinda surprising to me just how many Switch games can't run at higher resolutions.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
The game is great and everybody with a Switch should try it... the resolution undocked is too blurry but docked is perfectly playable.
It is the first game that made me wants a Switch but my financial life is not that perfect to buy one lol

lol @ comments about expecting 1080p... you guys are really expecting too much from the Switch hardware... neither XB1 that is way stronger than Switch can hold 1080p in most titles. Games on Switch will be mostly around 720p docked and below that undocked.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017
Sub-native resolution on the portable is probably why I thought this game looked better/sharper/clearer on my TV. Someone was giving me grief in the preview thread for saying portable look "blurry". SMH

Regardless, this is beautiful game. I love the dynamic shadows.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Literally thought that was this 720p undocked, it looks great.

Resolution means nothing!

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The game is and everybody with a Switch should try it... the resolution undocked is too blurry but docked is perfectly playable.
It is the first game that made me wants a Switch but my financial life is not that perfect to buy one lol

lol @ comments about expecting 1080p... you guys are really expecting too much rom the Switch hardware... neither XB1 that is way stronger than Switch can hold 1080p in most titles. Games on Switch will be mostly around 720p docked and below that undocked.

I mean, with these visuals, one would expect higher resolution...
I know it's not technically a 2D game and that the sprites are basically 3d elements with a texture applied on it.. but come on.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I've already said my piece many times but watching this video is even more interesting when compared with the likes of Sonic Mania and Xenogears, and just makes me realize that beyond the marketing of the game: Octopath isn't following anything that wasn't already a beaten path graphically, that its inspiration is closer to PS1 JRPGs than SNES in terms of visuals (2D on 3D), and that its lighting and effects are actively harming the work the 2D artists has put into this game. When footage of Sonic Mania was shown compared to Octopath, it's just striking how much of a better-looking, cleaner game Sonic truly is.

Octopath looks like a game that tries to hide its 2D behind a veneer of 40 things. Sonic Mania is an absolutely gorgeous game that isn't afraid to stand tall with the look of its crisp, gorgeous sprites and 2D backgrounds. Honestly, this is the first time a game has given me a feeling of nausea while playing and I don't have any symptoms of a condition like motion sickness. It just looks absurdly bad and overwrought to me.

The effects are just too much. They need to tone them down, especially the dof implementation.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm just waiting for this game to be "literally unplayable" because of the resolution after no one ever talked about it in the year or so the demo has been out.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Discover stunning "HD-2D" visuals, a gripping combat system that breaks the conventions of turn-based battles, and deep individual storylines that will chart your course across the vast and wondrous continent of Orsterra.

Nothing HD about Portable then haha.

Still looks great!

Plum

May 31, 2018
I mean, with these visuals, one would expect higher resolution...
I know it's not technically a 2D game and that the sprites are basically 3d elements with a texture applied on it.. but come on.

The game uses a whole bunch of advanced post-processing and other graphical effects to make it look the way it does. There's the tilt shift effect, the real-time lighting and the particle effects to name a few. Those all require a fair bit of graphical horsepower, especially considering how much the game uses them.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Game does look fantastic even with the lower resolution thanks to it's unique style but I have to wonder what a game like this would look running at 4k. If we don't get a PS4/One/PC port than I hope the sequel is multiplatform.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game still looks pretty good on my OLED 4K, surprisingly.

There isn't a lot to gain by upping the resolution for this game anyway.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I'm kinda surprised with such low resolution. The game looks gorgeous on the Switch screen! I guess the artstyle helps.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
native would have helped the soft image a lot but honestly the game is absolutely gorgeous. I become annoyed at the complaints "but all of the effects ruin the pixel artists' creations".. I love pixel art as much as the next guy (seriously, no lie). But "just" pixel art isn't the artistic style the game was going for. it is looking to intentionally marry the world of pixel art with the dynamic action of modern aesthetics. maybe(?) they could have offered visual options to turn off the camera, filters, etc. for purists who want to literally play a game that looks pure 16-bit.. but to me that game, while being much crisper and having the detail of the pixel work come through more.. would have visually been nowhere near as interesting as the game we have. even if cleaner and crisper.

every switch game thread.. I swear....

edit - hell, not even switch game.. every time something on ANY console runs at non-native "I expected [insert completely baseless expectations]. But running at this!?!"

Yea, it's a great looking game and even as a huge retro collector and gamer I really enjoy the pixel art with the modern effects in OT. I think they made the right choice. There are plenty of indie games that go for the 16 bit classic JRPG style so it wouldn't be as unique as what we ended up with.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised they didn't find any drops as I've noticed a few brief hiccups while sprinting in a couple early areas when you run behind huge things in the foreground (I think I've noticed it in the Cathedral in Ophilia's starting area). Obviously it's a turn-based RPG so that doesn't impact gameplay a bit.