• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

On the cusp of PS5 and Xbox Series X's official launch we take a look at what works - and what doesn't - for the existing console space. Legion features a beautifully realised take on a futuristic London, and is ambitiously built for consoles old and new. However base PS4 and Xbox One are falling behind in performance - and the need for more power to run the game is clear.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe Join the DF Patreon to support the team more directly and to get access to everything we do via pristine quality downloads: https://bit.ly/3jEGjvx Want some DF-branded tee-shirts, mugs, hoodies or pullovers? Check out our store: https://bit.ly/2BqRTt0

--

Text based article:

www.eurogamer.net

Should you wait for next-gen to play Watch Dogs: Legion?

UPDATE: While our initial focus was on the current-gen console versions of Watch Dogs: Legion, we've also spent time lo…

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's why I stopped playing and now I'm just waiting for my PS5 haha. I hope the upgrade is substantial as the Xbox one x video was.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Honestly at this point for me, unless it's a game like Tsushima I wanted ASAP I will wait to play them on PS5, upgrade or not it'll always be better than Base PS4

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
TL;DW

Visuals:

- All consoles have Temporal up-scaling and dynamic resolution scaling. .
- Base XBO has the worst image quality and most image breakup.
- Best image quality: XBX with Pro a close second.

- Base XBO: 900p to 684p
- XBX: 2016p to 1440p.
- Base PS4: 1080p to 864p
- Pro: 1620p to 1296p

- SSR quality and texture filtering lower on base consoles.
- Otherwise the physics, NPC count etc all appear same between all consoles.

Performance:

- Base XBO has near consistent drops to mid to low 20's and tearing during driving and combat.
- Base PS4 is a 'big improvement' but w/ adaptive screen tear and mild 1 to 2 FPS drops.
- XBX is mostly consistent with barely some drops to mid 20's when causing commotion.
- PS4 Pro has the fewest drops and the least tearing and best playing version.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game is not made for current gen and it seems especially the current gen Xbox versions need patches.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Mildly shocked the Pro version seems to be the best port atm if you don't mind a bit of a lower resolution.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bloody hell, the Xbox One version is an abomination lol. Hell, the PS4 version is pretty poor too. PS4 Pro, One X or next-gen is a must if you value image and visual quality.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Hope the Series x and s got more love.
One X has just to high resolution and also that bug that overheated the console.

I will see first how the game is on the series x before i buy. Not gonna risk anything.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like on current gen consoles PS4 Pro is the way to go. I will never understand prioritizing resolution over performance.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Can't wait for the comparisons between PS5, XSX and especially XSS versions. The latter is the most interesting for me.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Base consoles for the next couple years:
e35.png

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing it on PC and gotta admit, the game has a jaw dropping amount of density in terms of geometry and stuff happening onscreen at any given moment.

That said if the jaguar CPU in Pro is able to run it at 30FPS then more powerful (even if dated) CPUs like 6700K or newer CPUs like 3800x should be able to do it twice as fast. But they can't, probably cause the game isn't optimised to run over 30FPS. Then again even hitting 30FPS is kind of hard at times on my 6700K...which doesn't make sense.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Pro version being the overall best performer just goes to show that cranking up the resolution isn't worth it.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
To be honest, I was turned off by the amount of loading screens and the loading times on my PS4 Pro for WD Legion. I'll just wait for the PS5 to arrive and give it another try then. Performance and Image Quality was "ok", but not great so far, but it's the loading which was annoying. Maybe it gets better once you are out of the initial mission(s), but those throw a loading screen (with often 30+ seconds) at you every couple of moments, which was annoying as hell (for me). Also the initial mission, giving you audio logs every 10 meters, switching to menu when picked up and you can't even listen to them while walking around but you have to look at that boring menu and wait for the log to finish playing? Am I the only one who was annoyed by that and thought it was just very bad game design?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting the PS4 version in the mail today so I'll just wait for a couple weeks to play it on PS5 at this point. That screen tearing looks terrible, too.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing this on a One X at the moment and it's the first game I've played this year that really feels like those late 2013 PS3/360 ports. It looks nice on a One X but you REALLY feel that it's just pushing above it's weight and should be played on a next gen system. Haven't really felt that with anything else up to this point, it's interesting to see it.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pro version being the overall best performer just goes to show that cranking up the resolution isn't worth it.
DF suggested it's possible PS4 Pro version received the most optimization out of the 4 at least at launch. Updates and patches to fix bugs and performance may even things up in performance in the future.

Although by that time, I'd hopefully have a next gen console and won't have to worry about it. LOL

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
Performance seems about what I'd expected based on the coverage over the last couple of days. I've pretty much stopped playing everything while I wait for the Series X and PS5. I don't want to get into anything until I can play them at their best with the new consoles.

LinLeigh

Oct 25, 2017
DF suggested it's possible PS4 Pro version received the most optimization out of the 4 at least at launch. Updates and patches to fix bugs and performance may even things up in performance in the future.

Although by that time, I'd hopefully have a next gen console and won't have to worry about it. LOL

Well that is depressing. It keeps crashing for me and I'm playing on a PS4 Pro.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeeup, I'm waiting for PS5 and XSX to play new games and old current gen games.

TL;DW

Visuals:

- All consoles have Temporal up-scaling and dynamic resolution scaling. .
- Base XBO has the worst image quality and most image breakup.
- Best image quality: XBX with Pro a close second.

- Base XBO: 900p to 684p
- XBX: 2016p to 1440p.
- Base PS4: 1080p to 864p
- Pro: 1620p to 1296p

- SSR quality and texture filtering lower on base consoles.
- Otherwise the physics, NPC count etc all appear same between all consoles.

Performance:

- Base XBO has near consistent drops to mid to low 20's and tearing during driving and combat.
- Base PS4 is a 'big improvement' but w/ adaptive screen tear and mild 1 to 2 FPS drops.
- XBX is mostly consistent with barely some drops to mid 20's when causing commotion.
- PS4 Pro has the fewest drops and the least tearing and best playing version.
Christ, its gonna get worse n worse for Base XBO...

Still surprised that the Pro at times performs like this. I havent been keeping up with DF threads lately. Is there a reason why? Nevermind, this might be why:

Makes sense.
The market is evolving, these people chose to be left behind.

Yeah, sorry but its time. Both companies offer a cheaper sku so....

JankyNedelko

Oct 15, 2020
The Netherlands
Low-key curious to try the base Xbox One version. Trying out bad performing cross generation games for last gen systems used to be my guilty pleasure, heheheh.

*Shadow of Mordor for PS3 is calling my name, still...

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yet with my series x launch console paid off trying to be patient....
But with watch dogs preordered digitally I played 6 hours of this on base Xbox one and had a blast since yesterday. It's been scaled back in geometry, resolution, effects and I'm sure looking forward to my series x arriving.. but it's nowhere near the monstrosity of immortals Fenix rising on switch they showed this week
This game is solid 8 for me still, living in London the past 20 years I'm loving the game itself
Load times and next gen upgrades have me excited
Not sure if I just expected more Jank and so was pleasantly surprised by the base Xbox one performance or if YouTube is making it look worse
10 more days...

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
It'll never happen, but Sony and MS should allow developers to drop base PS4 and Xbox One/S support and make Pro and One X the new baseline. It'd make developers lives much easier to be able to leave those platforms behind. Sure you're still working with Jaguar CPUs, but at least they're clocked a lot higher. On the Xbox side, working with that eSRAM for the XB1/S must be a technical nightmare at this point.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
It'll never happen, but Sony and MS should allow developers to drop base PS4 and Xbox One/S support and make Pro and One X the new baseline. It'd make developers lives much easier to be able to leave those platforms behind. Sure you're still working with Jaguar CPUs, but at least they're clocked a lot higher. On the Xbox side, working with that eSRAM for the XB1/S must be a technical nightmare at this point.
The natural progression is current gen platforms will slowly stop receiving newer games as next gen progresses, except for the usual service F2P games and yearly sports and releases.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
The natural progression is current gen platforms will slowly stop receiving newer games as next gen progresses, except for the usual service F2P games and yearly sports and releases.
Of course, but look at games at the moment - CDPR are citing last-gen consoles as being the major hurdle in getting Cyperpunk out, and I wager that's moreso base XB1/S and PS4. Imagine they didn't have to support those anymore?

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
MS really shit the bed with the Xbox One.

I wonder what percentage of their user base still plays there compared to the X.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Base Xbox One and PS4 need to be put to rest.

On MS case, they should have discontinued Xbox One and kept Xbox One X instead. Sony as well kept Pro only.

RIP anyone on current gen for the foreseeable future unless you getting 1st party content. At least on PS4, I expect Spiderman MM to be good and also Horizon 2. The framework from the earlier versions is there so its expected to be similar performance.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Of course, but look at games at the moment - CDPR are citing last-gen consoles as being the major hurdle in getting Cyperpunk out, and I wager that's moreso base XB1/S and PS4. Imagine they didn't have to support those anymore?
Its just publishers trying to get what they can from current gen before they move on as majority of the sales i'll bet will be on current gen that is why they are offering a lot of their games as free upgrade to next gen. You can buy it now and play it on better hardware when you decide to switch. Vs if they only made the game for next gen only. I think at this point, it is a better strategy compared to how this gen started. I do agree though, they should let the base consoles die quicker.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah....ppl keep talking about tf but this was probably the biggest issue.
I still see ppl with the OG XBO.....whew....