• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Unless you are basing your purchase decision on outside factors, the PC version should still be the one to go for. If you have a 970 minimum system, the X version is not going to be better, and the PC version is nigh on £20 cheaper here. I've been away from PC gaming for a while, but this drew me back in.

Yeh going to go with the PC version. My monitor is 1440p and I was thinking of the 4khdr of my consoles as they are hooked up in the living room.

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't this one of the first big titles to take advantage of the Pros FP16 architecture? Based on the frame rates being neigh on identical to PS4, the FP16 wasn't implemented, or the impact is non existent. Looking forward to some further insights down the track, perhaps even a new Pro patch if we're lucky.

Really hoping it runs well on Xbox One X as I decided to opt for that version this time around and play it there (mainly because, hey, new system).

I have transcended.
God, i hate it that you picked the new name - I followed Dark10x as soon as i got in here
That being said, its really awesome to see you here, one of my favorite users as a lurker back then, and we definitely share the same ''itch'' for details and obscure titles (Like you did with the Quake 2 X360 video). Really great being able to converse with you now :)

I hope it will be better than Wolfenstein: The New Order for Xbox 360 and PS3.
Which by itself was no slough of a game (X360 owner here). The game did that 60 fps baseline pretty well, and for a very late-gen PS360 title, its really one of the best.

The full article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...tein-2-scales-across-the-console-power-ladder

Do we know if the PS4 Pro uses FP16 like on PC?

Do we know what settings the PS4 Pro uses compared to PC?

From this video we can see all versions look identical to PC maxed out but the only thing that differs is the resolution.

How good is the 1440p resolution on PS4 Pro?

And another user i really enjoyed seeing. Welcome man, glad to have you here!

The visuals on this game are so much better than TNO its pretty crazy.
That and it runs silky smooth on both my desktop and laptop which is impressive in of itself.
Yet another testament to the power of PBR and particles. Those GPU driven explosions in the beginning of the video are nuts.
Just goes to show what effect PBR has had on games ever since this generation started in 2013.

I disagree, idtech 5 was a good engine tailored for last gen hardware. How many last gen 60fps games beats those running on idtech 5? Not many.
Rage was beautiful on PS360 class hardware. In terms of 60 FPS shooters, you probably look at the COD range of games but they are hardly ever stable at 60 FPS (at 1024x600 most of them).

On topic:
The game looks absolutely marvelous, even upping a notch above Doom 2016. Id Tech 6 is a great looking engine that rivals the big boys any day. Its a shame about the performance however, even on Pro. And Xbox One? That 810p feels like a throw back to the first-gen XB1 games, which all had weird resolutions.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
The graphics whore in me is tempted to buy this, i liked the last game but never finished it, what to do?

Last edited:

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a fair amount farther than the footage in the analysis and am glad to report that performance actually improves. Not a lock at 60 but much closer to it. The second area seems to be the most demanding so far.

And man, 60fps with idTech 6's perfect motion blur, quality materials, and sharp textures feels like a look into next gen. I really hope similar visual compositions become more commonplace on new hardware.

Wasn't this one of the first big titles to take advantage of the Pros FP16 architecture? Based on the frame rates being neigh on identical to PS4, the FP16 wasn't implemented, or the impact is non existent. Looking forward to some further insights down the track, perhaps even a new Pro patch if we're lucky.

I don't think it was implemented, at least not yet. It was always touted as a Vega PC feature and wasn't ever officially confirmed for the Pro. Hopefully that comes into play down the line. Given that Pro support was only added in the day 1 patch, they said Xbox One X support is still in development, and HDR isn't implemented yet despite being announce to be supported by the game I think there's a good chance that we get some more technical improvements.

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 Pro version looks great, I had a chance to briefly sample it on a 4K TV. The GPU particles, fluid (almost always) 60 FPS and generally fun game-play experience makes it a superb experience ... and 1440p scales very well to a 4K display.

Alpolio

Oct 27, 2017
Fort Smith, Arkansas
When I bought my PS4 in 2013, this is the kind of graphics that I was expecting. I'm glad to see that the skills have finally caught up with the hardware.

I'm still holding out for the XBX version. And besides, my PS4 is at my brother-in-laws.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
It will be supported on the X, as of right now no support for PS4. Hopefully it will be patched in soon for us PS4 players.

I don't know how much that still stands .. the official page on the Xbox website for this game just shows X enhanced, no HDR mention or symbol. Gears of War 4, for example, has a separate HDR symbol besides "Xbox X Enhanced".

I wouldn't put too much stock into these symbols. The PS4 website has Evil Within 2 as a Pro enhanced game.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
the game looks like dogshit on xbox one. i had to stop playing because its so fucking blurry on my 4k set. lets hope they fix it for xbox one x.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
It has been a while since I played an FPS...This being narrative heavy with stunning visuals makes it very tempting.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how the 1X version will turn out. Still not sure if I should get this on the PC or console.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
NXGamer has done a video on this too with patch 1.02 installed

- The 1.02 changes a lot in terms of lighting.
- Volumetric lighting takes a hit (or just looks different with different color tones more prominent) after patch.
- The above causes less drop in dynamic resolutions and both PS4 and Pro version stick closer to their target resolution (1080p and 1440p respectively) more closer.
- Patch also improves shadow quality on both PS4 and Pro versions.
- Avg frame rate after patch (PS4: 56, Pro: 58 based on the game play sample in the video.

This should hopefully alleviate the concerns some users had about the game's performance.

freeradical

Oct 27, 2017
Wow at that change in lighting.
Dynamic resolution hits a 17% drop off the target render on PS4 Pro. Thats pretty impressive.
Looking forward to the full in depth analysis. Hopefully some XB1X is there as well:)

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Good. It'll look and run great on my Pro. Good job Digital foundry & NXgamer!

No problem :) Here's to many discussions in this ERA. ;)

When I bought my PS4 in 2013, this is the kind of graphics that I was expecting. I'm glad to see that the skills have finally caught up with the hardware.

I'm still holding out for the XBX version. And besides, my PS4 is at my brother-in-laws.
Just goes to show how forward thinking DX11 spec hardware and feature sets were back in 2009. People were awed at the lighting of Battlefield 3. With PBR, global illumination and photogrammetry today, its a very stark difference.
All running on that exact same 2013 hardware that is in the consoles. And ofcourse, the insane scalability of Id Tech with these kinds of visuals, only rivaled by Frostbite.

- Volumetric lighting takes a hit (or just looks different with different color tones more prominent) after patch.
- The above causes less drop in dynamic resolutions and both PS4 and Pro version stick closer to their target resolution (1080p and 1440p respectively) more closer.
- Avg frame rate after patch (PS4: 56, Pro: 58 based on the game play sample in the video.

This should hopefully alleviate the concerns some users had about the game's performance.

Really hope Digital Foundry is going to address this aswell in a follow up video. Dark1x, any word on this?

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game looks phenomenal. Playing the first(?) level in
New York City
right now and the lighting effects are just fantastic. From trailers etc. I expect it to look even better in later parts too.

So glad to see it nailing a fairly consistent 60 fps too, I haven't noticed many drops in a few hours of play. Great stuff.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
99% of people won't notice the very small dips from 60fps to above 50fps while they play the game themselves so don't know why some people think its a bigger issue than it really is

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Patch improves shadows but worsens volumetric lights? Interesting. I wonder if this the same case scenario with Prey, with patches improving things and degrading things till things were settled.

Did NXGamer mention how much comparable the PS4 Pro version to the PC version?

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
The lighting changes in that patch may only apply to that one area. That segment of the game is the lowest performance wise and they're very heavily used in later parts of the game, and very full/wide reaching

Yeah, my bad, I updated in the video info, I was working on dual videos (this and AC Origins) and that has a 1.02 patch, Wolf 2 is the 1.01 patch. Sorry for confusion.
Ah, gotcha. Thought that might be what happened.