• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfBeett5FII

This is a late port, so the video is a comparison to current-gen versions. As expected, several downgrades, but I've tried to include John's comments saying that overall it's a great port.

Summary:

- Camera controls have been improved;
- Resolution: docked 900p, portable 600p [i.e. same as Mario + Rabbids, for a reference]; CORRECTION: John clarified that handheld mode is actually 630p instead of 600p.
- Depth of Field is absent;
- Shadow maps resolution reduced, but shadows have good filtering, meaning a less chunky look despite the lower resolution;
- Ambient Occlusion is absent in the Switch version;
- Fewer reflection probes, meaning less light bouncing off objects;
- Some remade geometry, generally lower quality remakes, but most geometry remained the same;
- Reduced texture filtering;
- Lower resolution water surface details;
- All those changes still present a game that looks very much like the original 8th gen game;
- The version of Unity needed for optimisations lacked features, but the newer version had worse performance, so they had to request that new features be added to the old version, hence the wait;
- Frame rate: 30 fps like 8th gen counterparts, Some frame rate dips, mostly when the camera is exposed to a large part of the map. Dips also occur with a lot of alpha effects on screen. Mostly, though, it runs smoothly. Handheld is slightly smoother than docked mode.
- Loading times are not good: up to 10 seconds more loading time compared to 8th gen systems. Loading from internal storage is slightly faster than SD card.
- "Switch manages to hang very very closely to PS4 and XB1."

Last edited:

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
It's a very promising demonstration for Unity. Glad they waited for better optimisation features.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I remember people jumping at the devs throats because it's subnative in portable before even seeing the game running.

I am glad they took their time, it looks like a very good port.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Sounds good. Been waiting for this game (and the idea behind it) for a long time. Hell yes.

Shame about losing DOF though. I love DOF.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad this version turned out good. I was worried this would be another Rime, and I'd have to buy it for a different system after waiting specifically for the Switch port.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
Yup really great port and quite a good game as well, even coming off 50 hrs of Mario Odyssey. Glad the delay was worth it, they clearly put a lot of effort into the Switch version.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Used my download code for the PS4 version, but if we get a switch retail version I'm going to get it day 1!

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like they really went the extra mile to port the game to Switch. Great news for my wife, who has been waiting hard for the Switch version.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a very well-done port, smart choice to delay it to make the product better, albeit Odyssey risks canibalizing it. Still, it's no Odyssey but it's a quality collectathon that runs pretty good on Switch apparently, if you haven't played it yet it's probably a good fit.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
One error that I'm editing in - it's actually 630p rather than 600p. It's really tough to pixel count handheld shots due to severe compression and previous interviews suggested it was 600p (and my counts were close to it). So, yeah, even better results in the end!

Deleted member 8112

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like 600p is probably the limit to a game looking great in handheld mode. Maybe 540p if you're really stretching it, but otherwise I feel like everything else becomes a bit too blurry. Same for TV mode with 900p-720p but games rarely go under 720p there. Anyways, congrats to Playtonic on the port, seems like it turned out great!

Magicpork

Oct 28, 2017
Having read previous PS4 reviews, I never intended to get it on the Switch..Now this looks much more interesting..

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
It's a very promising demonstration for Unity. Glad they waited for better optimisation features.

This is a bit interesting since apparently there were features in later Unity builds that the devs wanted to use, but said build proved more taxing on performance. So unless I misunderstand that, I wonder if this means certain builds will effectively be more favourable for Switch than others, based on that balance.

Still, definitely an interesting porting job, and the results certainly seem decent enough. Seems so surreal to realise games like this can even be on handhelds now.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
So wait, Yooka-Laylee was panned when it was on PS4/XB1/PC but now that it's on Switch, it's suddenly a good game and getting high praise? Okay then. BTW, I have the game on PS4 and like it a lot, just wondering why people are now suddenly saying it's good now that it's on Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
I really think all games should be 720p30(60) in portable mode. Cut the graphics back to reach it. Less polygons and effects til you reach it. I'm a programmer myself and have some knowledge about it.
Optimize portable mode first, then docked mode.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The handheld fan in me says here again: "Sub HD, not with me." So, sorry.

But otherwise it seems like a good port.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So wait, Yooka-Laylee was panned when it was on PS4/XB1/PC but now that it's on Switch, it's suddenly a good game and getting high praise? Okay then. BTW, I have the game on PS4 and like it a lot, just wondering why people are now suddenly saying it's good now that it's on Switch.
Where did you get that? I've always loved the game and praised it on XO/PS4.

The handheld fan in me says here again: "Sub HD, not with me." So, sorry.

But otherwise it seems like a good port.
Were you OK with Mario? This has better image quality than that in portable mode.

OP
OP
Zedark

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Not sure where you're seeing that. I see congratulations on the good port (i.e. from a technical standpoint) and some people who decided to buy it now that it's on Switch after waiting for this version.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Played for half an hour last night after finally having received my code from the backer-kit. Given that this is Unity, it's really a great port and the devs did some good work!

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm happy for Playtonic. I should redownload Yooka-Laylee (on PC) and give it another shot. The last time I played was before the "big patch". It was also before I had a 4K TV.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Surprising how well this game holds up to X1/PS4 versions. Plan on picking it up once I get through a couple games I'm currently playing. Hopefully we get a Physical version by the time I'm ready to pick it up.

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I appreciate the fact this game exists, but having to fight against Odyssey for playtime is pretty rough for any game.

freeradical

Oct 27, 2017
Confusing.

- Resolution: docked 900p, portable 630p [i.e. same as Mario + Rabbids, for a reference]
- Shadow maps resolution reduced, but shadows have good filtering, meaning a less chunky look despite the lower resolution;
- Some remade geometry, generally lower quality remakes, but most geometry remained the same;

So it's compromised in quite a few areas and yet "Superb Conversion" ? Somewhat hyperbolic??

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

It's more the port quality that is being praised. Switch owners are still finding the same niggles that players on other consoles did, as evidenced by the OT for the game, but the port itself is refreshingly high quality.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Color me impressed. With all the silence on when it'll actually be releasing I was getting worried that technical hurdles would lead to a sub par port.

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
Confusing.

- Resolution: docked 900p, portable 630p [i.e. same as Mario + Rabbids, for a reference]

So it's compromised in quite a few areas and yet "Superb Conversion" ? Somewhat hyperbolic??

it's almost like the switch is running tablet hardware that is less than a third as strong as the ps4

OP
OP
Zedark

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Confusing.

According to John, the adjustments to the game are generally not easy to notice, and constitute details on an overall presentation that is very close to the 8th gen versions. If you went in expecting no downgrades on Switch, then your expectations were unrealistic: Switch isn't as strong as XB1/PS4, therefore something can still be a great conversion while having downgrades. That conclusion doesn't need to be hyperbolic.

Oct 30, 2017
I was going to hold off because it's £35, but I've finished Mario and don't have a platformer to play until King Knight is out.

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad so many people rudely proclaimed "they don't care" anymore now that Mario Odyssey came out, despite the devs taking the extra time and effort made a great Switch port.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
According to John, the adjustments to the game are generally not easy to notice, and constitute details on an overall presentation that is very close to the 8th gen versions. If you went in expecting no downgrades on Switch, then your expectations were unrealistic: Switch isn't as strong as XB1/PS4, therefore something can still be a great conversion while having downgrades. That conclusion doesn't need to be hyperbolic.
Yeah in theory it sounds like they cut a lot of stuff but as a whole probably the difference is not that noticeable. I mean even if original PS4/One didn't have a lot of those stuff I wouldn't have noticed.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Confusing.

The Switch in portable mode is less than 1/10th the power of a PS4.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game has received rather extensive tweaking since release in an attempt to address criticisms raised at launch. I'd say it has more to do with post-release polish than any other factors. But the fact this polished version of the game also runs well on Switch makes it a nice package.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they got a new start with this Switch version. I really enjoyed the game after the camera control fix. I still think it looks great.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like a very good port, will pick it up sometime in the future, have far too many Switch games to complete.

It looks good, but texture quality (predictably) takes a hit. I do feel because of it lacks a bit of ''clarity''
Also the low soft player shadow felt a bit out of place.

Overall though, very solid port, especially on Unity. It looks reasonably close to the other console versions and its portable. Now i hope it will be in a physical release one day, i have a colleague who would buy this blindly ;)

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to see that a fairly complex Unity game can be ported decently to Switch. Hopefully we will see the same with Wasteland 2.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
I just dunno about this game. Great to hear the port has been done well but after the lukewarm reception it got when first released I just not sure it's the game for me.

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
Brasília
I think that it was amazing thing that they choose remade some assets instead of force a lowered settings to run.

Like DF says, if you start to play, it really looks like any other version of the game because of that.