• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
looked fine to me in docked mode too, i'm shocked to learn the actual resolution. there seems to be tricks at play to make it seem better than it is.

yeah maybe it can do way better in a 30 fps nintendo game.

that's what the video should have focused on, the first nintendo IP game in UE4, as this is neither the first nintendo published UE4 game (octopath is) nor the first nintendo developed one (there's no nintendo developed UE4 game yet). it's just a nitpick tho, nothing too important.

yeah sadly their nintendo videos seem to be not very well fact-checked sometimes. it's understandable tho as i imagine their videos about ps4/xbo/pc get way more views.
Well, just skimming through the channel, I'd say they get as many views as the other videos, give or take.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It does look blurry in handheld mode, but I still thought it was really nice looking.

same. I was surprised going in as I'd read peoples' impressions but found it pretty nice looking. Some of the edges to the cardboard are a bit blurry but the materials look nice.

Also found the demo pretty good fun too - you have reasons to replay to get your usual sunflowers, little stars, but also poochies and random thing that the robot wants. Considering the slate is a little quiet at the moment on switch I might grab this

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
that's what the video should have focused on, the first nintendo IP game in UE4, as this is neither the first nintendo published UE4 game (octopath is) nor the first nintendo developed one (there's no nintendo developed UE4 game yet). it's just a nitpick tho, nothing too important.

He said it is one of the very first to use UE4 on the Switch, not the first.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch was underpowered from the start, that's not a surprise by now. While we wait for a more powerful iteration in a few years I'd say things aren't too bad. The resolution is too low but the fact that most people are surprised after playing the demo show that the raw numbers don't always tell the whole story, and Crafted World is a modern looking game, full of fancy effects running at 60fps. It's not all bad.

And I know it sounds bad to hear 400p during a DF video but goddamn it's still better than a kart racer or a Kirby game running at 30fps.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Terrible result. I have no idea why on Earth Good Feel gave up their own (highly performant) HD engine from Wooly World for UE4.

I can only assume that it was part of a back room deal between Nintendo and Epic, in order to secure UE4 support on Switch. And this game was a casualty of that deal.

UE4 is a very mature and capable engine. We don't have visibility on the hundreds of things that the dev team could be considering when making the decision. I agree that the res is low, but if you actually try the Yoshi demo, you could be surpised.

UE4 as a whole probably provides a lot more than the previous in-house engine. Nintendo must be learning a lot from this first effort, at the end, we all proffit from the experience.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm always impressed when low res games wind up looking so clean. I wouldn't have guessed the it was as low as it is. Still looks pretty good though

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa pretty surprised at that resolution, didn't think it was nearly that low when playing it myself.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's surprising how good it looks, given the concessions.
Personally I am glad they prioritized framerate over resolution.

beni12

Oct 25, 2017
I think reveal trailer looks better in term of resolution, it's really disappointing for an exclusive game to run at sub 720 docked. they have time to optimize game more for lunch but i doubt that we'll see any major difference compare to demo.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
overall, i'm glad they didn't go the kirby route and instead made sure to hit 60fps instead. that makes the game much more enjoyable to play. i don't expect UE4 to be a big thing for nintendo's own internal games, but it's working for some nintendo published games (octopath, this, daemon x machina) and is probably speeding up the dev time for those so it's a good thing. i expect good-feel to use the engine on their next game and probably reach better results now that they have experience with it.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the game looked beautiful on my TV but yeah, I noticed the lower quality undocked. A lot of blurriness I haven't really seen in my other games. Oh well.

Zonagh

Feb 17, 2019
I loved Woolly World but nothing about the Crafted World demo really moved me in any way to want to play more of it. I'd rather go back and play Woolly World again.

For me, the lower resolution was immediately apparent in both handheld and docked mode. In handheld it was noticeably blurry and on my old native res 1080p TV it looked like a last gen X360 HD upscale.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the video Dark1x, I didn't want to ask if anyone was doing a DF video in the demo thread because I thought you'd have enough games on your schedule already.

Just as a lot of other people ITT, I thought the demo was really blurry in handheld mode but looked pretty good docked. Interesting that it's still sub-720p. 60fps is far more important to me though, so I can live with that. The music really wasn't all that good, though.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
This is one of those games that is going to shock people in 4K emulation due to it's low native res, still sad Nintendo didn't try to push for Tegra X2 to get Native 720p on more games.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, music is definitely one of those subjective things. I hate it but that's how music criticism goes! That part is pure opinion and I'd hope someone would enjoy it!

I'm just disappointed because music is so important to platform games for me - without a great soundtrack, the experience is lessened quite a bit. That's definitely true here.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, music is definitely one of those subjective things. I hate it but that's how music criticism goes! That part is pure opinion and I'd hope someone would enjoy it!

I'm just disappointed because music is so important to platform games for me - without a great soundtrack, the experience is lessened quite a bit. That's definitely true here.

You can get a glimpse at some other musics here. While I don't hate that much the main theme, I get your resentment of it, but the other tracks sounds okay:

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
UGH, that resolution! Not even wii u level 😷
and i thought the game looked beautiful otherwise, hope they improve it before release

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, guess I was mistaken. Updates need to be streamlined for devs, I can't imagine redoing months/years of work just for updating to the latest version for X engine.
Nah I guess you are both right. They can implement updates to engine and there have been cases of it working it out (most famously for me the UE4 patch in Tekken 7 that reduced the lag) but no matter what it is always work because you at least have to check everything still works.

Btw anyone think there's a chance performance improves for launch?

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brain fart, resolution is what I meant.

Well, the game has been done for a long while (certainly around early January, perhaps before Christmas). That's a long lead time if they wanted to, but they'd be quite happy where they're at right now and this isn't a massive budget title, so I wouldn't count on it.

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit at that soundtrack, what a insane difference with the very first game. A even bigger holy shit at that Yoshi New Island soundtrack, good lord.

I wish they would bring some great music back and also actually provide a challenge when it comes to the game itself. I really miss that in some of their platformers. First Kirby and now Yoshi too.

Deleted member 25140

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Real talk it bums me out that the OSTs of the Yoshi games have gone in a complete downward trajectory since the legendary SNES OST (though Woolly World was mostly pretty okay). This whole "pinch the baby on the cheeks" approach to Yoshi has bugged the hell out of me.

Still, gorgeous game. Not sure yet if I'll pick it up, I never got around to beating Woolly World.
Yeah I agree completely, the first game gave you a real sense of adventure in the soundtrack but all these later games threw that out in favour of mostly cutesy relaxed music.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Very nice.
Great to see UE in 60fps games on switch.

TAA + temporal upscale would have been nice to see, although most likely game was too late in development for them to consider it.

Things are getting even better for UE in future, it seems that 4.22 handles instancing even better than previous versions and performance can see nice boost.

Oct 25, 2017
Peachtree City, GA
Ever since I heard Yoshi's Crafted World was running on UE4, I figured it was more so a "tech demo" that ultimately became a full game. I believe I remember a quote saying Nintendo had "mastered" the UE4 engine. If so, are we going to start seeing even more first-party games using UE4?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I admit the gameplay felt good, the music very less so, hopefully they're not all sleep inducing like in the demo.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
The overly aggressive DOF and the low resolution make this quite unpleasant to look at sometimes. It's okay for some games to be twee and easy but I wish we would one day get another EAD made Yoshi game that gives us a good challenge and a Koji Kondo soundtrack.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That resolution is shocking, what is it about UE4 that makes it so hard to have good rez/performance on the Switch. Travis Strikes Again was also noticeably low res on Switch even though it didn't look to be doing anything too crazy either.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Keep in mind that Octopath traveler employs similar graphical and post processing effects as Yoshi and was only 720p and 30fps docked.

It would have been cool if Yoshi included an option to turn off the DOF among other effects to get a resolution boost if that's what the player wants.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Wow, lowest IQ for a 1st party game? I'm sure they can increase IQ a little by June. Hopefully 720p locked. Still though, a first for Nintendo and makes 900p seem the norm by comparison. I bet a Switch pro could get 900-1080p dynamic, if Nintendo is willing to throw in a patch to boost resolution that far down the road...

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
If the demo is indicative of the entire game's gameplay (slow and exploration focused rather than focused on platforming) I'd have prefered for them to choose resolution over framerate. Image quality in the first level was really bad and - I haven't watched the video yet - I suppose that one is on the higher side of the dynamic resolution.

Sabrina Rei

Oct 30, 2017
The overly aggressive DOF and the low resolution make this quite unpleasant to look at sometimes. It's okay for some games to be twee and easy but I wish we would one day get another EAD made Yoshi game that gives us a good challenge and a Koji Kondo soundtrack.

This. So much this. As far as I can tell they've made a game for very young kids (or at least the demo sells it that way.) Even my 7 (soon to be 8) year old was growing bored with the lack of challenge and remarked that she might be too old for it.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
You can get a glimpse at some other musics here. While I don't hate that much the main theme, I get your resentment of it, but the other tracks sounds okay:

Sounds to me like they're doing that awful thing they did in Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi's New Island of recycling remixing the main theme in 80% of the stage tracks. I mean, some do end up sounding better than the original theme itself (the space/underwater stage remix is pretty chill), but it's still pretty disappointing.

I can't imagine it's Tomoya Tomita (Kirby's Epic Yarn, Yoshi's Woolly World) doing the music for this, it just can't be.

Oct 25, 2017

The previous Wooly World composer had to move and left Good Feel to go freelance and apparently for whatever reason Good Feel didn't pick him back up for this title.

It' a shame, but it is what it is.