• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
This should be a slam dunk for Sony/MS as they move into the next gen over the next two years.

At this point, should it be mandatory that the new machines play the current gen digital libraries as well as the next gen stuff?

I know I'll be a little pissed if tgey still don't allow it in this day & age

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm sure it will be for MS. We'll see for Sony. Though I doubt they'd drop the ball on this again.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean, digital? If it can play it digital, it can play it off a disc. And that's usually based on the included hardware.

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
Sony had BC for generations. There's a reasonable reason why there's no PS3 BC in the PS4, so I'm sure we'll see the PS5 being BC again. They would get shredded if not.

I'd like full BC though, not selective publisher approved stuff. MS has done a great job, but I still need a 360 hooked up to play NCAA Football or Outrun because they'll never be playable on the xb1.

Nov 30, 2017
Sony will probably have it again (they used to)

Good for you guys that want it but I probably won't have much use for it, especially once the new games really start launching.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
This happened this gen as well, but there's this weird thought process as to how BC should work according to physical or digital games, as if BC itself is more of a disc reading concern rather than a deeper hardware and software one. Unless the next gen consoles discard blu-rays entirely, if the digital library would be BC, then the physical library would be as well. There's nothing about digital games that makes them lesser or easier to make BC than games you plop into the console.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Remasters have been such big things for Sony this gen, it's hard to see how they could snub that. It feels like it would be commercial suicide to do so, but would a portion of their fan base just shrug it off if they tried it?
Would they be able to step in with PSNOW as an alternative, free to use for PSPlus subscribers, but limited to games you own and always online?

Isn't the PS4 already confirmed to have a Vita, Ps2 and PSX emulator built into commercial firmware anyway, but Sony have chosen not make it available in any shape or form?

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony had BC for generations. There's a reasonable reason why there's no PS3 BC in the PS4, so I'm sure we'll see the PS5 being BC again. They would get shredded if not.

I'd like full BC though, not selective publisher approved stuff. MS has done a great job, but I still need a 360 hooked up to play NCAA Football or Outrun because they'll never be playable on the xb1.

Does the PS4 have PS1 and PS2 BC? It would be a pretty scummy move if the PS5 doesn't have BC for PS4 games. Microsoft already made it pretty clear that is their direction moving forward.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The same thing people did with PS3 to PS4?
And not forgetting Xbox 360 to Xbox One.

but I've switched from 360 to PS4, so it wasn't a concern. Funnily enough, if I had stayed with Xbox, I'd be able to play most of the 360 games I own on the Xbone

Also, it will be 2020 when these consoles launch. With the massive adoption of digital, people are understandably have different expectations this time around.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Doubt it would be only for digital libraries, why not discs too?

Unless we're talking about consoles without disc drives, the technical challenges involved in solving BC are identical across digital and physical games.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
This happened this gen as well, but there's this weird thought process as to how BC should work according to physical or digital games, as if BC itself is more of a disc reading concern rather than a deeper hardware and software one. Unless the next gen consoles discard blu-rays entirely, if the digital library would be BC, then the physical library would be as well. There's nothing about digital games that makes them lesser or easier to make BC than games you plop into the console.

Because digital copies of PC games have been BC for 30 years now probably.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm confident in Microsoft. Don't trust Sony. And am indifferent to Nintendo.

My confidence in MS is not out of hope. They're the ones that are moving aggressively toward this cloud centric services model.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Does the PS4 have PS1 and PS2 BC? It would be a pretty scummy move if the PS5 doesn't have BC for PS4 games. Microsoft already made it pretty clear that is their direction moving forward.

PS4 has PS2 BC yes.

Not sure about PS1 emulation, but even a toaster could do that so it's a matter of will rather than technical feasibility.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Because digital copies of PC games have been BC for 30 years now probably.
There is no special delineation between a PC game being physical or digital either, I have no problems plopping in a WarCraft 1 CD and having it read for instance. I think this topic has some confusion to how games actually work and what the circumstances are surrounding BC.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
but I've switched from 360 to PS4, so it wasn't a concern. Funnily enough, if I had stayed with Xbox, I'd be able to play most of the 360 games I own on the Xbone

Also, it will be 2020 when these consoles launch. With the massive adoption of digital, people are understandably have different expectations this time around.

You do make a good point, people may be more invested in digital and not want to loose their library. Then again publishers may have a different idea especially if the performance is better on the new hardware and they can resell you the game.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 has PS2 BC yes.

Not sure about PS1 emulation, but even a toaster could do that so it's a matter of will rather than technical feasibility.

That's good. So how does it work, you put in your PS2 disk and it instantly plays like a regular PS2?

Yeah I would have to agree - no bcwould really infuriate me

However I expect them to be bc just like ms

With digital becoming so popular I expect the PS5 to offer full PS4 BC. I think it will be Nintendo constantly a guessing game.

Oct 30, 2017
I think they'll both have disc and digital bc. Sony because they must expect MS will have it. MS because they know Sony expects them to do it and because of that MS has to assume Sony will do it too.

Coconico

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
This is my primary reason for having switched over to PC in the middle of this generation. I primarily gamed on PlayStation since the PS1 days (for both first and third party) and but I really feel at this point that I may have backed the wrong horse in terms of third party games. It's a shame that the PS3 games on my shelf are completely useless except I have my PS3 connected to my TV; and that's not even factoring in the "digital" shelf from years of PS Plus membership!

It would behoove Sony to bring PS4 content over to their next machine, I would hope hubris doesn't get the better of them and they stick to the same system architecture so BC would be a much more open prospect--but who knows. If you would've told me during the XBOX One reveal that I would be more excited to see what Phil had up his sleeves come conference time over PlayStation, I would've thought you were crazy! But here we are.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Sony really needs to have it for both physical and digital next gen. I have a strange feeling Microsoft might get my console money considering the power moves they have been making if sony does not get off their asses regarding bc

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Not sure what I'd do if Sony don't have BC with PS5.......oh wait,I do......I'll just keep my PS4 hooked up,problem solved.

Seriously though I do expect BC on PS5 and will be amazed if it ain't there.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
I'll be mighty surprised if it isn't. I'm all digital on ps4 and really hope it'll be BC next gen. It's not a dealbreaker but I'd be happy if it was there on day 1.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
I hope they do. I bought most of my games on ps3 last gen and when xbox one started doing bc for a lot of 360 games; I felt a sense of regret and thought I should have bought all these games for 360 instead.

I no longer have an Xbox though. PS4 is my only home console now, (switch I mainly use portable). I fully expect ps5 to be backwards compatible with my digital library since we're no longer dealing with "exotic" architecture.

I really don't wanna have more than one console under the TV anymore.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
It's such a non-issue for me, but I also can't imagine the PS5 not having PS4 BC. PS3 is probably something they're not going to mess with though, too much effort to deal with at the moment probably.

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing as how MS basically gave their lead away by going with a clean restart this gen I can't see one reason why Sony wouldn't have it. It's one of the clear incentives they have to make sure PS4 owners stay with Sony next gen.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Only reason I can see for PS5 not having BC is if they really need to redo PSN and decide to start fresh with PS5. The name change stuff they're working on/testing now and whatever else is happening in the backend might just be enough of a bandage to deal with it though.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Microsoft is headed right direction as it's obvious BC is a big part of their gamepass service moving forward. I'm not aware of any technical reason for why PS1/2 classics from PS3 didn't carry over to Ps4, they took a handful of PS2 classics and slapped some new paint on them ( trophies, better graphics/resolution I believe) but the licenses didn't carry over. A digital license of GTA 3 on the Ps3 does not entitle you to the Ps4 version of said game. I'd imagine PS4 BC would be pretty straight forward, and maybe PS5 can bruteforce PS3 emulation. I guess we'll see soon enough. For me at a point it becomes a space issue having multiple gens of consoles lying around.

With that bit of uncertainty in hand, most of my multiplatform and indie titles are bought on steam. I have an older gaming PC and I'll be upgrading to whatever gaming laptop I can best afford in the $2500 range next year, where I can seamlessly carry my steam account and games forward.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why this is often associated with just the digital library.

Probably because MS' current solution doesn't install from the disc. It just checks what the title is, then downloads an xb1 compatible version from their servers. So in essence, only digitally distributed games are BC.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Ah the weekly thread about bc on next gen

Ms will definitely do it
Sony almost certainly will but I don't trust them not to charge a Nintendo like upgrade fee or something

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
PS4 has PS2 BC yes.

You can't put a PS1 or 2 disc in a PS4 and have it work. Heck PS4 doesn't even support CDs as a format. (PS1 & some PS2 games) There are PS1&PS2 games on the PSN store that you can buy however, but you have games like GTA3,VC,SA play like garbage.

If PS5 can play PS4 discs & digital games then they may just have the next generation (and beyond) on lockdown due to keeping people in the system. If PS5 becomes incompatible with PS4 software then they've majorly dropped the ball.

Microsoft is not going to give up all this BC effort that they've spent to throw it away. They are safe.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Certainly hope so. I'm all digital on PS4 and about 1/3 on ps3 so would be a brilliant move. I think sony's got to read Microsoft's writing on the wall - they are investing heavily in this and it is an advantage.

Plus just means you get to keep pushing that library with sales.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Sony would really shot themselves on the foot not having BC. They can start the next gen with GOW, Spider and TLOU 2 day one

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Would be a big misstep for Sony if they didn't have BC. It's a must IMO.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Or they can come up with some term like remasters up res them and resell them to you.

Which options sounds more like 2018 Sony
It's hilarious how many people think Sony would rather have some short term remaster money over securing the PS4 audience transfers to PS5. If PS5 has no BC then PS4 owners have basically nothing to lose by getting the next Xbox over PS5. If they make you feel like you're losing something then you're much more likely to get a PS5.