• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Because they keep complaining about issues going digital fixes all while trying to ignore all the benefits (game sharing, price drop, remote access, ect...) despite them being things they otherwise care about.

In the end go with what makes you happy, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. Each time I hear the ridiculous argument that Physical copies should just come with a digital code included on top of the disc copy I know they're a lost cause...

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
In the end go with what makes you happy, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. Each time I hear the ridiculous argument that Physical copies should just come with a digital code included on top of the disc copy I know they're a lost cause...

I mean, the way to solve this is to have a central database of keys that can be checked by stores dealing in second-hand games. That way, if someone loves the game and wouldn't ever trade it in, they can use the key and do whatever they want with the case+disc, and if someone else hates it, they can trade the whole lot in and the retailer can be assured that the key was never activated.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Because they keep complaining about issues going digital fixes all while trying to ignore all the benefits (game sharing, price drop, remote access, ect...) despite them being things they otherwise care about.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did start doing that, though. Movies have done it for years. And funny enough, some games I have on disc work without the disc now because they were added to Game Pass.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am all digital (with rare exceptions) but I don't give a shit what other people do nor do I care if they approve of digital or not. It's not worth wasting energy on

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I promise that will stop when I stop reading snide remarks about the "all-digital future".

There are valid concerns about the all digital future though as it will effectively remove ownership of games. On Stadia if you buy a game you don't really own the game, just a license to play it. So if google decides to kill the Stadia, you will 100% lose access.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
There are valid concerns about the all digital future though as it will effectively remove ownership of games. On Stadia if you buy a game you don't really own the game, just a license to play it. So if google decides to kill the Stadia, you will 100% lose access.

Absolutely not to pick on you specifically, but I think it's good to remember that "all digital" is not a useful phrase for anyone to use, as it's too broad a term. Streaming is different to digital downloads - Stadia should be thought of (and spoken about) differently to downloading, say, GOG games. So everyone should be a little more specific with what we're all talking about, I think.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I used to have a massive physical collection but sold it all off years ago because I never played any of the older titles and it was just consuming space.
Outta curiousity what'd ya refill that space with? Wheneven I see someone saying they've dumped their collection I'm always left thinking they're now sitting in a mostly empty room lol.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Outta curiousity what'd ya refill that space with? Wheneven I see someone saying they've dumped their collection I'm always left thinking they're now sitting in a mostly empty room lol.

I've moved since then, that was one of the reasons for also selling the collection as I'd moved a number of times and I hated packaging it all up.

But I'd say the first room has been turned into a play room for the kids and the second room is a second office/board game library.

Now I don't have to worry about dusting it all the time or if the kids have got into the collection or will I have to have more custom cabinets made.

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
People who shout not all digital-onlys, we're not against digital games. We're against people advocating digital - only to become, well, only option. Customers having more options benefits everyone. Physical copies does not hinder discless consoles, see; Xbox-SAD.

Clutter; Please. Hoarding is a serious problem and it needs professional help. It is unpleasant and disrespectful as much as saying "It triggers my OCD" when you dont have OCD. "Hoarding" issue doesnt get solve by shouting hoarder. Directly or passiv aggresively. That is harmful on the contrary. So please stop with clutter talk, it is especially ironic when there is a thing called digital clutter.
Plus making a new thread ever so often asking "are you digital only yet?" clutters the forum and discussion. Digital games are not a new thing and people know it exist. Please stop giving unwanted advices.
Materialism and environment.
Do you recycle? Or avoid eating meat? I myself am lucky to live in a country that understand importance of recycling. You must recycle. Buying only digital doesnt help at all. Don't buy tv, computer or console. Help the planet. Also stop eating meat. You cause animal cruelty industries exist and do serious damage to environment. ( On a serious note I believe stopping or reducing meat by having vegan lifestyle or at least having vegan habits helps a lot)
Do you have a car? You can walk or use public transportation if you must use materialistic solutions, try biking. It's healthy and enviromental friendly. Do you have a house. Materialism is bad dude. Sell your house because owning things are bad for your soul. Set your spirit free and sell all your stuff/clutter. Travel the world. Live minimal. Sell all, live all. Be free from materialism. You see how obnoxious that sounds? Stop coming with clichee "Fight Club" lines.

Finally digital games are a good sometimes convenient product with advantages and disadvantages. It is understandable for a few it is really an attractive option. I remember someone I knew said they were really sad that they couldnt invest in wine collecting because they had to travel a lot. I can see how digital games can be good for people that has to move a lot. In the end as a product I am interested in digital very partially and I am against losing physical games' advantages.

What this thread about is the people who are like tele-salespeople calling and asking constantly trying to sell a product I'm not really interested in.
So if you recently switched to Digital Only;

And please stop telephoning us.Repeatedly.

Deleted member 50761

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
People who shout not all digital-onlys, we're not against digital games. We're against people advocating digital - only to become, well, only option. Customers having more options benefits everyone. Physical copies does not hinder discless consoles, see; Xbox-SAD.

Clutter; Please. Hoarding is a serious problem and it needs professional help. It is unpleasant and disrespectful as much as saying "It triggers my OCD" when you dont have OCD. "Hoarding" issue doesnt get solve by shouting hoarder. Directly or passiv aggresively. That is harmful on the contrary. So please stop with clutter talk, it is especially ironic when there is a thing called digital clutter.
Plus making a new thread ever so often asking "are you digital only yet?" clutters the forum and discussion. Digital games are not a new thing and people know it exist. Please stop giving unwanted advices.
Materialism and environment.
Do you recycle? Or avoid eating meat? I myself am lucky to live in a country that understand importance of recycling. You must recycle. Buying only digital doesnt help at all. Don't buy tv, computer or console. Help the planet. Also stop eating meat. You cause animal cruelty industries exist and do serious damage to environment. ( On a serious note I believe stopping or reducing meat by having vegan lifestyle or at least having vegan habits helps a lot)
Do you have a car? You can walk or use public transportation if you must use materialistic solutions, try biking. It's healthy and enviromental friendly. Do you have a house. Materialism is bad dude. Sell your house because owning things are bad for your soul. Set your spirit free and sell all your stuff/clutter. Travel the world. Live minimal. Sell all, live all. Be free from materialism. You see how obnoxious that sounds? Stop coming with clichee "Fight Club" lines.

Finally digital games are a good sometimes convenient product with advantages and disadvantages. It is understandable for a few it is really an attractive option. I remember someone I knew said they were really sad that they couldnt invest in wine collecting because they had to travel a lot. I can see how digital games can be good for people that has to move a lot. In the end as a product I am interested in digital very partially and I am against losing physical games' advantages.

What this thread about is the people who are like tele-salespeople calling and asking constantly trying to sell a product I'm not really interested in.
So if you recently switched to Digital Only;

And please stop telephoning us.Repeatedly.

Recycling non-meat eating digital only gamer checking in.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It mostly just feels like the shoe is on the other foot regarding this. I remember all the threads when some digital service was discontinued.

adinsx

Oct 30, 2017
Never heard of this, but I have already seen the inverse. Maybe you are a pushy for physical media and people are just trying to say why they prefer digital?
I do prefer digital, simply because I consume the games and most of the times never play them again, only the games I really like I buy physical.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Digital and streaming are the inevitable evolutions of gaming and will become the only way to consume games in the not too distant future. You may have your concerns, but to be brutal, they don't really matter at this point. The transition has already started with GamePass, Xcloud, Apple Arcade, Stadia, PSNow, Orion, EA Access, UPlay+.

Is this really about preference, or does it stem from a denial of where the industry is headed?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see this happening anywhere organically. OP , sounds like you have an issue with someone or a few people in your friend circle who are rude to you. But digital v physical discussions in the wild is never like what you described. It's most commonly about preferring physical release for a game if it comes up at all in a discussion.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
All i see is people going "why are you so stupid and use digital" all the time.
Like literally this thread.

Its often the physical preachers that come into anything about digital with their better than you shitty attitude.

Meanwhile the entire PC market is Digital, but console people didnt even realize it.

Oct 27, 2017
I think I see what you mean, but when I think of gaming now it's all digital and going physical feels like stepping back in time. It would be like going from CD back to Cassette Tape for me(i.e. no skip back to start of track or to next etc.) So I can't think of a single instance where I would suggest physical over digital.

I've been all digital on PC since Steam really and all digital on consoles since pretty much the beginning of the last gen, but I enjoy playing games not collecting them(not that there is anything wrong with that) and I rarely have any desire to replay old games so digital works for me. So for me there aren't any benefits that I could suggest for going physical over digital.

I used to have a massive physical collection but sold it all off years ago because I never played any of the older titles and it was just consuming space.

Not picking on you but the bolded is one of the most contradictory things I read all the time from mainly digital/digital-only folks. If you have no desire to replay old games why not get the physical version so that you can sell/trade it when you're done? You can get recoup some of your investment and put it towards the next new game.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not picking on you but the bolded is one of the most contradictory things I read all the time from mainly digital/digital-only folks. If you have no desire to replay old games why not get the physical version so that you can sell/trade it when you're done? You can get recoup some of your investment and put it towards the next new game.

because that's more hassle than just waiting until a game is on sale and buying the digital version. With a digital version I can just delete it and forget about it if I never want to play it again and I don't have to worry about it taking up physical space in my house.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018

For me it's a few reasons, the cost isn't a concern, the nearest physical game shop I could use for trades is now a 50 minute drive from my home and I don't want to have to deal with selling on Ebay etc.

I would possibly re-evaluate if money was an issue but at the moment convenience far outweighs the price for me, and that's not taking into account the storage I'm saving.

Oct 27, 2017
because that's more hassle than just waiting until a game is on sale and buying the digital version. With a digital version I can just delete it and forget about it if I never want to play it again and I don't have to worry about it taking up physical space in my house.

For me it's a few reasons, the cost isn't a concern, the nearest physical game shop I could use for trades is now a 50 minute drive from my home and I don't want to have to deal with selling on Ebay etc.

I would possibly re-evaluate if money was an issue but at the moment convenience far outweighs the price for me, and that's not taking into account the storage I'm saving.

Out of curiosity, how many games do either of you own? I mean how much space are you really saving?
If you were to sell/trade physical versions, how much could money you have gotten back? Or if you don't care to sell them, how about donating them to a library or sharing/giving them to a friend? Surely you don't game in isolation.

Obviously, at the end of the day, it's all about personal choice. I do find the justifications/preferences - like, "I don't replay old games so why get physical" or " I like to own my stuff" - interesting though.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Out of curiosity, how many games do either of you own? I mean how much space are you really saving?
If you were to sell/trade physical versions, how much could money you have gotten back? Or if you don't care to sell them, how about donating them to a library or sharing/giving them to a friend? Surely you don't game in isolation.

Obviously, at the end of the day, it's all about personal choice. I do find the justifications/preferences - like, "I don't replay old games so why get physical" or " I like to own my stuff" - interesting though.

At last check, it was just under 2000 games spread across Steam, Xbox, PSN and Switch.

When I had my physical collection it was a hell of a lot more than that, collection went from commodore 64 to xbox 360.

My local libraries don't rent games, between myself and my wife we already donate to a number of charities from both via salary sacrafice and direct donations so I don't feel bad about not donating old video games.

My friends who game are all financially secure enough to be able to buy what they want when they want I haven't borrowed or lent a game in over 20 years.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I have close to 400 on my PS4 alone, not even counting any of the PS+ ones I redeemed. 30 or so on Switch, maybe another 200 or so on Steam. God knows how many digital PS3 games I have.

I don't care how much I would have gotten back. I bought the majority of them on sale at a price I was happy to pay. I'm in my 30s, as are my friends. We don't really share games, we just buy games we're interested in. Selling, trading or giving them away is hassle I can just avoid by getting them digitally. Wondering how much I'll get back at a later date literally never enters my head when considering buying a game. All I consider is will the asking price be worth it. No different than paying for a nice meal or going to see a movie in the cinema. I'm paying for an experience, I'm not looking to make an investment that I can recoup at a future date.

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
Bumping this thread because I wanna say you're not delusional OP since there has been two different "aren't you digital only yet?" type of threads right after this thread. So you were right OP.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Bumping this thread because I wanna say you're not delusional OP since there has been two different "aren't you digital only yet?" type of threads right after this thread. So you were right OP.
Again you can easily ignore those threads. Digital people aren't pushy they are just the norm now. 95% of the PC market and 50% of the console markets are digital. There are gamers out there now who have never bought a physical product. You are not being persecuted you are just uncomfortable being in the minority.

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
Again you can easily ignore those threads. Digital people aren't pushy they are just the norm now. 95% of the PC market and 50% of the console markets are digital. There are gamers out there now who have never bought a physical product. You are not being persecuted you are just uncomfortable being in the minority.
LoL. Good spin. What minority? I personally use both. We're talking about digital only people making a thread about this console warring type of shit every other week and which brings nothing new to the table.

Those threads are in the same quality of "lol, pc master race" "PS/Xbox/Nintendo is better" one choose to ignore dumb shit like that but it is annoying. Again nobody is against digital, that is a stretch to claim otherwise from you, but digital only threads are annoying.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
LoL. Good spin. What minority? I personally use both. We're talking about digital only people making a thread about this console warring type of shit every other week and which brings nothing new to the table.

Those threads are in the same quality of "lol, pc master race" "PS/Xbox/Nintendo is better" one choose to ignore dumb shit like that but it is annoying. Again nobody is against digital, that is a stretch to claim otherwise from you, but digital only threads are annoying.

You don't agree that the great majority of games being played right now are digital? I personally don't care about how you decide to buy your games, but when the subject arises, my opinion is that there is no way physical game sales are going anywhere but down. Year after year we only see digital sales taking a % out of physical game sales. When some people hear this, they take it as someone wishing for physical games to disappear, when only the objective information about how the market is changing is shared.

Greent4

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Charlotte, NC
One thing I don't like about being a digital only gamer is when sales happen.
Botw for 30$ physical on black Friday is so much of a better deal than 50 digital. Digital games rarely go on sale and that's a big deterrent for some ppl who can't afford every game digitally.

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
You don't agree that the great majority of games being played right now are digital? I personally don't care about how you decide to buy your games, but when the subject arises my opinion is that there is no way physical game sales are going anywhere but down. Year after year we only see digital sales taking a % out of physical game sales. When some people hear this, they take it as someone wishing for physical games to disappear, when only the objective information about how the marking is changing is shared.
That would be one thing to have reports about digital and pyhsical number. That's one thing but that's not the issue.
What has been talked here is excessive number of threads having the same dull/pushy conversation. It's almost like astroturfers trying to push not digital but digital only practise. In any case it's dumb and annoying.

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
Why does that even matter? In the end we're all playing the same games, doesn't matter if it's digital or physical

Jun 17, 2018
I don't get it either. I'm mostly digital now due to game sharing but if a game is considerably cheaper with no multiplayer then I'll buy physical.

Anyway, please yourself, who cares what people on the Internet think of your purchases?

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
That would be one thing to have reports about digital and pyhsical number. That's one thing but that's not the issue.
What has been talked here is excessive number of threads having the same dull/pushy conversation. It's almost like astroturfers trying to push not digital but digital only practise. In any case it's dumb and annoying.

I have seen my fair share of both, people that tell you you are wrong for buying digital and the same for physical games. The balance for this has clearly changed over the years. During the PS360 era when 80%+ of the people were physical only, there is no doubt that the majority of people that said "you are wrong for buying digital", were a lot more. Now that 95% of PC gaming is digital and more than 50% of consoles game sales are digital, it's not surprising the balance has changed the other way for the type of people that behave that way. Other than that, the common thing to see are just people sharing why they prefer X or Y. Inevitably on this type of thread you will see both sides explaining why they choose one or the other, but it is clear that the amount of people saying "I'm going digital only" or "I only purchased like 2 physical games this generation" is surpassing the amount of people that buy mostly physical and for some that can feel like someone is putting pressure on you to do the same.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Sure is pushy physical stans in here, geez.

But I get it; they're afraid that as the entire hobby moves toward a digital future they're going to be left behind by industry-wide policies and trends going forward. They're probably right to think that, so it's better to ask why the game industry is being so pushy rather than a few people on a site where somebody recently made a serious thread about how Sony should basically reimburse people if they had PS+ and already owned a monthly offering.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Botw for 30$ physical on black Friday is so much of a better deal than 50 digital. Digital games rarely go on sale and that's a big deterrent for some ppl who can't afford every game digitally.
That's not true though, digital games go on sale constantly.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

They go on sale all the time and often as quickly as physical media.

Digital Nintendo games definitely don't go on sale as often but then again, they don't go on sale physically as much either.

piratethingy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've said this many times but it really depends on region. I'd wager the all digital console crowd are mostly US based. For me in Australia the idea of going all digital on console is just ludicrous for many reasons, it's not even an option especially if you're buying games anywhere launch.

definitely. very easy to forget how much bandwidth caps and slow speeds can really affect the digital experience. if I moved to somewhere with a 40gb cap each month it would drastically affect my 99% digital purchasing decisions.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
I'm kinda weird in that gamewise I went all Digital but moviewise I still buy my movies via physical purchase. I guess for games it seemed like such a hassle but for movies it's kinda not? Altho I still have a massive digital movie collection.

piratethingy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm kinda weird in that gamewise I went all Digital but moviewise I still buy my movies via physical purchase. I guess for games it seemed like such a hassle but for movies it's kinda not? Altho I still have a massive digital movie collection.

That's a weird one though because streaming movies even in 4K HDR gives you noticeably and objectively inferior results compared to physical media. Whereas games you're getting the same game digital or physical

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
That's a weird one though because streaming movies even in 4K HDR gives you noticeably and objectively inferior results compared to physical media. Whereas games you're getting the same game digital or physical
Yeah I know. i remember switching between Infinity War 4k and the Infinity Wark 4k vudu stream and I started to nice the compression artifacts that weren't in the physical version.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

This.
It's honestly kinda funny how here are actually people claiming they never see this happening or that it is actually only the other way around.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been on gaming forums long enough to remember a solid decade of digital skeptics acting WAY more opinionated and critical of other people. I can't even engage this topic seriously because of it. Like, nope. Just nope. Miss me