• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Why are so many developers seemingly allergic to capping their framerates this generation?

Oct 27, 2017
Your impressions are pretty worthless when we have clear evidence like the video in the OP.
Thanks?

I understand there is a difference. Just saying I have no issues playing on a PS4 slim. Maybe others on the fence who typically don't notice frame rates like me (unless there are 10+ frame drops into teens) will find value in it and think "oh I can get this on PS4 or Xbox One and not worry about performance for me personally." Maybe no one will. Idk

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark1x have you noticed that RE7 and this game have subpar HDR? It looks like a mess on my XBX as well as this game. I haven't tried it on PS4 (RE7) but I imagine it's the same?

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great video once again, thank you. Without option to lock fps at 30 I guess I'll just wait for PC version. So there is really no difference on Pro and X versions, nice to know.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday while playing I had my character standing idle in the main hub near the lift by the canteen and I noticed a really horrendous quasi transparent extremely low res set of tile patterned artifacts on my character leg and the lower part of lift. Has anyone else encountered something like this? What the hell could it be?

Playing on original (non slim) PS4, but I didn't get a screencap, I'll try to recreate and post if needed.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Sticking with graphics mode on the X1X. If they add a cap, i'll probably switch to resolution, but its just too jerky in that mode for me.

But really, performance of this game is awful for such a big release. Why the hell don't companies add a cap for 30fps if the performance is so unstable? Is it a cultural thing? FROM Software and Namco Bandai don't seem to give a shit about frame pacing or locking to 30fps either.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I bet we'll see a 30fps framerate lock option on soon enough. As John points out repeatedly, it would be incredibly useful for the resolution and graphics modes.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed... I can't imagine they'll leave it, but you never know.

So don't play on 1X in prioritize resolution mode... looks like prioritize graphics on 1X and prioritize resolution on Pro are the best ways overall, but that could be personal bias... and none of the modes seem all that great.
Yeah man, I have bad flashbacks to original Quantum Break and how it basically cut framerate in half if you turned off their reconstruction method.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got ya, I still think the monsters/animations on the monsters are awesome and appear technically amazing (to me)
I do agree with that especially when they start fighting each other. There aint no other game I can compare that too. Thats truly a spectacle to me. Even the best set pieces in 3rd person and shooting games dont come close.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched the full video. What a marvellous, technical mess of a game this is on all consoles. No consistency to any mode to speak of. At least I've been urged to change to "Favor Resolution" mode on PS4 Pro.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks?

I understand there is a difference. Just saying I have no issues playing on a PS4 slim. Maybe others on the fence who typically don't notice frame rates like me (unless there are 10+ frame drops into teens) will find value in it and think "oh I can get this on PS4 or Xbox One and not worry about performance for me personally." Maybe no one will. Idk

Dont take it personally man

The whole point of DF topics are to discuss performance metrics and is usually filled with people wanting to know the optimum way to play or base their decision on whether to invest time and money now or wait for the best of the best

PC users gonna eat once again if they can somehow get the port up to snuff

As you said its perfectly playable and acceptable on base PS4 for those used to playing games regardless of minor performance issues.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
For those curious, here's one of the shots I used for pixel counting (they're scattered about on my HDD right now but I have this one handy). This is a 2160p shot and I got 48/60 samples across the image in various spots -> 1728

Is the methodology basically looking for contrasting diagonal lines and counting distinct "steps" for each axis, per set number of pixels? I'm started getting curious about this myself.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Seems pretty rough but some of the summary sounds wrong, it says 1080p and same graphics in both resolution and performance mode but one gets higher fps? Wouldn't something have to give for higher fps? Or I'm misreading it, it's written... weirdly...
- PS4 Pro: 1800p CB in resolution mode, always above 30FPS, performance and graphics mode are both 1080p, performance averages at 45ish FPS, graphics is the same as resolution

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
Damn shame that even PRO & 1X is still judder filled. I did notice the blurring on base PS4 and honestly thought it was a dynamic resolution.

Lucky enough the game is enjoyable to the point where I don't hang up on the technical pitfalls. Looking forward to seeing Monster Hunter locked 60fps at 1080 on my PC.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I do agree with that especially when they start fighting each other. There aint no other game I can compare that too. Thats truly a spectacle to me. Even the best set pieces in 3rd person and shooting games dont come close.

Yeah, seriously. I mentioned this in the OT but the animations they use for the monster vs. monster fights are just ... incredible. More than once last night I completely stopped running around just so I could watch an insane monster fight go down.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Yea... glad to hear about One X's performance.

But, I'll wait for PC...IF they have a beta test before release that is.

This launch has taught me a lesson about Capcom.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What's the name of the effect that's going on which causes the image to change when you start moving the camera?

I've never seen that before in any other game, but I'm primarily a PC gamer.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Seems pretty rough but some of the summary sounds wrong, it says 1080p and same graphics in both resolution and performance mode but one gets higher fps? Wouldn't something have to give for higher fps? Or I'm misreading it, it's written... weirdly...

That means the performance in Graphics mode is roughly the same as the performance in Resolution mode. Weird as it sounds.

John mentions playing in the Resolution mode was his preferred way on the Pro because there's minimal performance difference between that and 1080p Graphics mode and the extra resolution adds more value. Plus the resolution mode on Pro is pushing more detail than the resolution mode on XBX.

What's the name of the effect that's going on which causes the image to change when you start moving the camera?

I've never seen that before in any other game, but I'm primarily a PC gamer.

I remember seeing this once before in the PS3 version of Just Cause 2 which would retain native 720p whenever you're still but resolution would drop as soon as the player or camera start moving.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-justcause2-face-off

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is the methodology basically looking for contrasting diagonal lines and counting distinct "steps" for each axis, per set number of pixels? I'm started getting curious about this myself.
Yes, that's exactly right.

You basically find a run of clear, visible pixels in a line with visible steps between them. You have to measure out a sample number (like 60 pixels) using something like MS Paint and then basically count the steps leading up to the end. If you get 48 steps out of a 60 pixel sample, you simply do 48/60 = 0.8 and then multiply the result by the resolution of the image (2160p in this case). 0.8*2160 = 1728

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
The PS4 version could definitely use a cap though. There's no reason to allow the framerate to jump to 32fps.

Right, this game more then any other in recent memory should have shipped locked at 30fps, with the obvious exception of the framerate mode. If the game shipped capped and evenly paced at 30fps, people would be singing its praises on 3 of the 4 platforms right now. Poor OG X1 is a lost cause without major optimizations.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
You haven't played the game have you.
Nope. It's literally there in the post you quoted.
Spoken as someone who hasn't touched the game.

It looks really good. Not perfect, but good enough.
As above.

The screenshots in the thread are better quality than DFs vid (which is locked the 1080p quality here for some reason?). I think it looks underwhelming and performance is pants. I don't need to play the game to make that statement.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a comparison John does himself in the video, and just in terms of performance, it's actually pretty much the case.
The comparison made by John its about the evolution of the same engine (Capcom MT Framework) and how common its predecessors have this same problem about unlock frame rate.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I hoped for a bit more from the 1X version. Been playing in resolution mode and it felt really good. A little framey in places but nothing terrible.

Hoping Capcom revisit what the 1X can do and push things a little more. Higher resolution textures would be a great addition since the 1X has more memory to play with.

The fact the 1X could probably do CB at the same res and hit out a good framerate is something Capcom should look into.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
The Xbox One version is probably the first console game I've played that felt like playing a game on a bad PC. I've played games that ran bad, but this really feels like it's not the way the game was intended to be played. It's a bummer and has me worried for the future of other base Xbox One games.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on a normal PS4 and there's been a few times where the framerate goes above 30, I've noticed it in some areas in the desert and when doing a few arena quests.

isual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
its one of those games where you don't care too much about FPS.

against vaal halak or as a gunner, you see a lot of fast FPS hikes.

imt558

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hm....surely it's a little performance mess referring on all platforms. There should be 30fps cap on Pro. Overall, not bad.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
So the X version is lacking visual details compared to the Pro? How bizarre.

It seems like they took the base Xbox One version and just kinda dialed some things up rather than really fleshing out what the X would be able to do. I mean, I don't really blame them since who knew how the game was going to sell on the Xbox One but it would be nice to see it updated to hopefully improve the resolution mode a bit more.