• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Join Tom Morgan for a detailed first look at Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice running in its 1080p configuration on the PlayStation 4 Pro. We'll have much more on this one soon.

Article:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-sekiro-shadows-die-twice-ps4-pro-first-look

The gothic vision of Bloodborne is axed for a different aesthetic, and so this time chromatic aberration is disabled. As a post-process effect, the distortion it added to the screen edge was heavy-handed - deliberately so - and it still divides opinion. This time? Sekiro's image is clean and clear. What you get from its post pipeline is instead a pure focus on decent anti-aliasing, and quality motion blur. High-grade sampling is used to blend frames, not just for camera movement, but also individual objects. The result is artefact free, on PS4 Pro at least. We'll see how it scales to other consoles in due course, but I see very little in the way of dithering or banding on edges. It looks great - and helps to disguise the variability of its frame-rate. We played the game in a 1080p mode very similar to Dark Souls 3's PS4 Pro patch, where the action runs unlocked, typically from 40fps to 60fps, with alpha-heavy scenes taking us down into the 30s.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It looks great - and helps to disguise the variability of its frame-rate. We played the game in a 1080p mode very similar to Dark Souls 3's PS4 Pro patch, where the action runs unlocked, typically from 40fps to 60fps, with alpha-heavy scenes taking us down into the 30s.

PC it is, then. Told y'all this game would have an unlocked framerate a la Dark Souls III - at least on the Pro patch anyways. Wonder if the base versions will have a prioritize resolution and prioritize frame-rate modes.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a long time since I played Bloodborne, but I didnt realize this game had "Danger" indicators if targeted by enemies.

This looks good so far performance wise. Sucks that review copies arent going out to get a proper performane review from DF.

almutama

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice that they ditched the baked lighting/shadows solution of older titles in favor of a more modern real time one, but the performance is still meh. I bet that a 30fps cap would have the same problems that bb and ds3 had.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you ain't gonna keep that framerate stable, at least give us the option to play at a locked 30 at a higher resolution.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ya they really need to allow for locked. Don't force it, some folks don't notice that, but allow for it when you have these kinds of situations

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Hope it runs at 30 in the slim then. I despise unlocked framerates with passion.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
From Software can't get to grips learning Unreal Engine 4 fast enough, I hope all their future games make use of it.

Edit: Still day one for me though. Need DF's inevitable PS4 Pro vs X1X comparison of course.

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
Was hoping this would be 60fps, as I like owning the physical copy. Going to switch to PC version, assuming the port is at least as good as Dark Souls 3 PC, which was quite good I thought.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
From really needs to figure out performance in their games. It's either 30 with bad frame pacing or uncapped and wildly variable. Their games aren't even all that technically demanding which would be forgivable if they ran well.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Will watch the video later; why have they only looked at the 1080p mode and not 4k?

Can't tolerate unlocked constantly fluctuating framerates.
Really hoping the XBX fares better especially since Microsoft has marketing rights in the US
Let's be realistic: the development team couldn't give a shit about any marketing agreements their marketing team draws up. They'll be doing their best on each platform, and PS4 is bound to be the lead development platform regardless.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This looks nice

SomberWelcomeKillifish-size_restricted.gif

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Eh, yeah I think I'll get this one on PC too if it runs through proton.

I don't understand the unlocked frame rate that some of these companies are pushing especially if there is no option for a locked 30.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Buying a From Soft game on console when you have a PC is a waste of money and pointless.

From needs new engineers or a new engine after Sekiro

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Was going to just borrow my friends PS4 copy cause im in no hurry to give Activision money on the PC side, but 1080p/40fps average sucks, starting to regret my Pro purchase, 3rd party devs need to do better honestly, this should be at worst 1440p/locked 30fps.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
I saw this coming. I didn't believe for a second that their CPU performance increased much. Their games are harsher on the CPU than you would think and that's these consoles weakest aspect.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Unlocked that jumps between 30 and 60? Ok that might stop me from buying. They need a cap with proper frame pacing.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
How easy is it to use Dualshock 4 with PC?

Works great on mine with both bluetooth and wire.
As long as the game is on steam that is since steam fixes all the mapping stuff.

I run linux where the ds4 is supported natively but there should also be a program called ds4windows for windows that does what steam does on games outside of steam.
I think you can also just open up steam to enable it's controller functionality without ds4windows.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Was X version showed at preview event? Did anyone have a chance to see its performance?
Just PS4 Pro at the event I'm afraid, and only with 1080p output selected. Possibly there's more in store with the 4K mode. It'd be unusual if it's ignored entirely.

But yes, X is the one to watch at launch. If it's only 1080p there (small chance), it should be the best at hitting 60fps.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
Why all the shock that a From game is having frame rate issues? All their games have issues but they are still great games.