• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Article.

Ultimately, there's the sense that Xenoblade 2 is a game of two halves - it's a visually upgraded experience over its Wii U predecessor, and holds up pretty well when playing docked, but the handheld experience just doesn't hold up to anything like the same standard. The game is impressive overall, but compared to the pristine works created by Nintendo itself this year, Xenoblade 2 feels like a step down in many ways. It looks and runs worse than Zelda, that's for sure, while lacking some of the more advanced rendering features. That said, the game itself is great fun - the characters are charming, the world is engaging and the soundtrack is superb. It may be rough around the edges, and we're not entirely sure that the portable mode holds up well at all, but it's still an excellent RPG for Switch users that's well worth checking out.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-chronicles-2-push-switch-mobile-mode-too-far

It's a big one with many different points, so here is an extensive summary:

Resolution:
Docked:
- 720p throughout the game, with a sophisticated TAA solution that makes it looks cleaner but slightly blurrier;

Undocked:
- Dynamic resolution, very low, down to 368p at its lowest and up to 552p;
- Worst image quality in a Switch game in portable mode;

General points on visuals:
- Still a beautiful game;
- per-object motion blur;
- Great specular highlights;
- Very good cloud simulation, with proper volume;
- Screen space reflections for water reflections, an improvement from XBCX's cube maps;
- Improved lighting from XBCX, with a simulated ambient lighting feature;
- High foliage density;
- Good draw distance, though still visible (much better than XBCX);
- Realistic light diffusion and reflections;
- Good ambient occlusion;
- Shadows are static - they do not change depending on time of day;
- Collision detection is much better than XBCX;
- Side characters can look slightly iffy.

Points on frame rate:
- Performance is generally 30 fps, however;
- Memory issue/bug causes problems for frame rate when leaving a certain location and returning to it;
- It could be a memory streaming limitation, but the speed of the storage medium did not influence the results, so likely a bug;
- Other than that, mostly 30 fps;
- handheld feels similar to docked in terms of frame rate.

Final conclusion:
- A very nice looking game, even with flaws;
- Feels somewhat unrefined from a technical standpoint.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Wondering if there's anything they can patch up regarding the handheld cause it's pretty rough at times to play I'll agree.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really curious what the conclusion is about the sharpening filter, because lord knows it looks awful in the screenshots.

Edit: Xenoblade Cross... You disappoint me John! :(

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that sounds accurate. I never watch or care about these DF videos but even I can tell that this game looks.bad on portable.

But I also don't care, because the game itself is FUN.

Deleted member 8112

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Unrefined" is the best word to call it. Really disappointed by the resolution coming off of Chronicles X, couldn't they have pushed a bit more in handheld mode to ensure a locked 540p for example? That would be proportional with the GPU clocks too. It doesn't look any more advanced visually and mechanically than Zelda, maybe the short development time hindered its graphical outlook. Performance is also a big let down, those bugs are really odd. Here's hoping a patch will come soon to address these issues, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Weird shake up from BOTW at launch. I imagine this could've benefited from some more polish but the docked mode looks pretty snazzy.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think part of what makes it look so bad is the weird sharpening filter the game seems to have, even when docked although it's not as noticeable, not sure if it's the games form of AA or something but it makes the game look super compressed when running in handheld mode.

Kuni

Oct 27, 2017
Aww man. 720p docked is quite the disappointment. Ninty need to try and stay as close to full HD as possible when docked.

368p undocked is just crazy low... hope Ninty avoid that in the future.

Hope Monolith can patch this and get the resolution up.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
it looks awful undocked
Looks pretty bad docked too. 720p with TAA

jpg

I'm good on that, I'll wait for the Switch Pro.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only doing sidequests on portable mode. Honestly, sub 480p is unacceptable to me. They need to remove the sharpening filter asap. Also, it looks good docked not "great". Regardless, the game is enjoyable.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't started this yet. I may wait for a patch to start playing. I wanted to play this mainly portable as rpgs can be a bore to watch for my family.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing docked and the game runs well until you get to the first big open area and then it chugs badly.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So undocked can go as low as 368p. Not surprising at all. It really looks bad when playing undocked. Feels like I'm playing a different game from the footage I watched before deciding to pick it up.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good thing the game is so good that I'm willing to overlook it's shortcomings because technically it's a mess. I'm wondering if Monolith weren't rushed for release, many of these elements seem like they could be improved with a patch.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I def. expect some performance updates in the near future - they wanted to hit the December release date but we already saw from the past builds what difference just a couple more months did to the game.

I would be surprised if they are done with optimizing.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they found a serious performance bug during their tests as well. It will be interesting to see if they release some patches to fix performance in general, or more particularly undocked mode. At least it actually holds 720p in docked, even that is a bit of a bummer. Rushed release, or maybe building off the back of the XCX engine caused issues? Maybe both?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna watch the video when I get home but that minimum is absolutely brutal, some scenes do look bad.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm inclined to say it's something Monolithsoft could fix, as we've seen the Switch manage stuff like BotW with relative ease.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Definitely a rushed release, but hey, Nintendo proved all you naysayers wrong and got it out in 2017!

I still have yet to open my copy, but I am definitely only going play this docked. Hopefully a patch comes, but I'm not going to hold out hope. Stinks for you handheld only folks

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
The game looks great IMO. Not the best, but good, still. Rushed release is apparent though. Monolith is pretty big, about 150 people, and two years is a long time for a product that sells as much as Xenoblade has, historically.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The frame rate issues almost sound like a memory leak. That, plus the sharpening, bad TAAC and ridiculously low resolution in handheld make this a very unappealing proposition for handheld only players like myself.

Deleted member 8112

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like they found a serious performance bug during their tests as well. It will be interesting to see if they release some patches to fix performance in general, or more particularly undocked mode. At least it actually holds 720p in docked, even that is a bit of a bummer. Rushed release, or maybe building off the back of the XCX engine caused issues? Maybe both?
That's what I'm hoping too, seems like they rushed it out as a 2017 release.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's a big one with many different points, so here is an extensive summary:

Resolution:
Docked:
- 720p, with a sophisticated TAA solution that makes it looks cleaner but slightly blurrier;

Undocked:
- Dynamic resolution, very low, down to 368p at its lowest and up to 552p;
- Worst image quality in a Switch game in portable mode;

General points on visuals:
- Still a beautiful game;
- per-object motion blur;
- Great specular highlights;
- Very good cloud simulation, with proper volume;
- Screen space reflections for water reflections, an improvement from XBCX's cube maps;
- Improved lighting from XBCX, with a simulated ambient lighting feature;
- High foliage density;
- Good draw distance, though still visible (much better than XBCX);
- Realistic light diffusion and reflections;
- Good ambient occlusion;
- Shadows are static - they do not change depending on time of day;
- Collision detection is much better than XBCX;
- Side characters can look slightly iffy.

Points on frame rate:
- Performance is generally 30 fps, however;
- Memory issue/bug causes problems for frame rate when leaving a certain location and returning to it;
- It could be a memory streaming limitation, but the speed of the storage medium did not influence the results, so likely a bug;
- Other than that, mostly 30 fps;
- handheld feels similar to docked in terms of frame rate.

Final conclusion:
- A very nice looking game, even with flaws;
- Feels somewhat unrefined from a technical standpoint.

Last edited:

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
That would definitely explain why my framerate suddenly tanked when I got to Chapter 3.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying the game a lot but this is by far the largest gap between a docked versus undocked Switch game that I've personally experienced. Typically the differences are minor, but in Xenoblade 2 they are jarring. Of course I made the mistake of trying to get the full experience of the game by starting it docked and switching to undocked, which could explain why it was shocking to me. I also didn't pay too much attention to the discussions about it being sub-native undocked, as that's not typically a large issue for me.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew the game was below vita level, but I thought it was as low as 480p. this game needs a patch badly. especially the memory issue

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like this game needed a few more months of optimisation.
But was rushed out for Christmas.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks that they cant hit at least 540p locked in handheld mode. I'll still keep playing and enjoying it though.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel it could have been better if delayed to like February for an extra 2-3 month polish

Hopefully Monolith take their time next time. Because sometimes this game looks really beautiful and a clear step up, and other times it looks the same as X. I'm wondering if because of how much they really wrung the best out of Wii U with the engine, transferring over the engine to Switch caused issues because it was optimized for Wii U architecture?

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Xenoblade 2 looks inferior to Xenoblade X to me. I know it's difficult to compare due to the artstyle, but that's my feeling.

Digital Foundry make too many apologies at their conclusion for the poor performance, John especially seems to excuse technical deficiencies because he likes Nintendo games.