• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
More units for Asia starting January.

Dr. Serkan Toto / Kantan Games Inc.

Digitimes reports Sony shipped 3.4 mn PS5 in its first 4 weeks, highest ever for a PS. They also say 2021 will see 16.8-18mn PS5 shipped after a supply stream ramp-up, with more units reserved for Asia from January. Paywall: https://digitimes.com/news/a20201228PD209.html… (Yes, I am subscribed)

www.digitimes.com

PS5 shipments to reach 16.8-18 million units in 2021

Production for Sony's PS5 game consoles is likely to reach 16.8-18 million units in 2021, fueled by additional capacity support from TSMC and backend services firms, according to industry sources.

Grain of salt because it's Digitimes.

Last edited:

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I hope I can get my preorder fulfilled here in Jan, in Asia. The chain store I preordered took too many orders and my Sep preorder is still unfulfilled.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Both figures seem very believable but as he notes in his follow up:

In particular Digitimes has been pretty far off the mark in regards to Switch these past few years.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever they can produce, they will sell.
The demand for PS5 is reaching uncharted (hyuck hyuck) heights.

Sun-Squirrel

Sep 25, 2020
Dundee
What are the chances Sony shipped less ps5 for launch than at ps4 launch, I recall playstation 4 selling through 4.2 million up until 31st December 2013. I am a ware there is still three weeks worth of data to go for end of year results.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Highest shipment ever --> Big chip yield issues.
Very interesting narrative, especially considering that in this very board people thought the shipment was much lower than PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, Digitimes...

Very good track record but only if it's good for the platform you love and not for (reads notes on palm) literally everything they've ever had posted on this site. We already got people batting for it against other news sites so that's nice.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Very interesting narrative, especially considering that in this very site board people thought the shipment was much lower than PS4.

Well, the shipments were much lower than PS4 in Japan as we all saw.
I hardly doubt there's people arguing otherwise, if anything they shipped more than PS4 in NA and Europe.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
We have end od year sales.

At CES 2014, Sony has announced that the PS4 has sold 4.2 million units as of December 28, 2013. Yesterday, Microsoft revealed that it had sold 3 million Xbox Ones as of the end of 2013.

it will overcome PS4 but I dont get why is that number for PS5 so low. They are selling everything they produce, but they stated that they are preparing A LOT more console for launch than for PS4. So why isnt the number higher?

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I have my doubts they were able to get these numbers from Sony, but we'll most likely know exactly how many they sold this year in a month or so (unless they put shipped PS5 together with PS4).

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
it will overcome PS4 but I dont get why is that number for PS5 so low. They are selling everything they produce, but they stated that they are preparing A LOT more console for launch than for PS4. So why isnt the number higher?
People keep hand waiving the Bloomberg report of yield issues during production. It's quite possible that there is truth to that.

This comparison makes no sense since PS4 launched 3 months later in Japan.
I think it's a fair comparison. Sony chose to launch in Japan at the same time for PS5, which means the sales / supply should've been there for them so they could have an even more successful launch. The number possibly being lower while releasing in Japan (whereas PS4 did not during this time) raises some eyebrows.

It seems like Sony went for a "paper launch" with PS5 in Japan. They knew they didn't have the supply and the allocation to that territory shows.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
For reference the Switch shipped 2.74m in March 2017, which was a similar period. 3.4 million is high(probably the highest ever?).
I know PS4 shipped 4.5M by December 31st 2013, with a sell through of 4.2M by December 28th. I can't find data for 4 weeks but it shouldn't be far off as it launched on November 15th in NA only, didn't hit Pal regions until November 29th and Japan didn't see the console until February 22nd 2014.

It will be interesting to see how PS5 holds up through this first year, with it not having a staggered release, it should start a little faster like we are seeing, but will only really effect the beginning of the sales period. PS4 is a sales beast, so it should be fun, as long as PS5 can average 1M consoles a month this next year, it will be a successful launch IMO.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I just hope people who want one can get one soon.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It really isn't, I don't even understand how this is debatable.
The comparison isn't how many PS4s Japan got when PS4 launched in America (which is zero because it launched over three months later). The comparison is Japanese first month shipments of PS4 vs their shipments of PS5, which shows you how poorly allocated the system was in Japan compared to PS4. It honestly makes you wonder why even bother releasing it there right now if they neither had the supply or any intention of giving them a serious allocation.

In my opinion, it's worse to launch world wide and give scraps to Japan just so they could say they launched worldwide. They could've just delayed it until February or March when they had supply for the region. Sony chose to launch in Japan and give them scraps; it's fair game to call out how they're treating the Japanese consumer this holiday.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Digitimes is a bad source, and I find it hard to believe PS5 shipped less than PS4? Even though PS4's first four weeks do include Christmas, surely what Sony shipped included the Christmas launch.
So I'm doubting the report, at least for the four weeks part. It's probably for a smaller time.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a release date for China? Stock reservations from January make sense if they want to target CNY gift giving window like we'd target Xmas here.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Digitimes is a bad source, and I find it hard to believe PS5 shipped less than PS4? Even though PS4's first four weeks do include Christmas, surely what Sony shipped included the Christmas launch.
So I'm doubting the report, at least for the four weeks part. It's probably for a smaller time.
PS4 launched on November 15th 2013, 40 days before Christmas, unless you mean in Europe, 4 weeks does not include christmas for the ps4.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
The 4.2 million for PS4 is 6 weeks after the US launch. 4 weeks wouldn't include Christmas there. The PS5 sales seem to be higher than PS4 at the same time.

Do we know why? Is it due logistic problems with the pandemic going on I guess.
Yeah. Logistic problems were blamed.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
The comparison isn't how many PS4s Japan got when PS4 launched in America (which is zero because it launched over three months later). The comparison is Japanese first month shipments of PS4 vs their shipments of PS5, which shows you how poorly allocated the system was in Japan compared to PS4. It honestly makes you wonder why even bother releasing it there right now if they neither had the supply or any intention of giving them a serious allocation.

In my opinion, it's worse to launch world wide and give scraps to Japan just so they could say they launched worldwide. They could've just delayed it until February or March when they had supply for the region. Sony chose to launch in Japan and give them scraps; it's fair game to call out how they're treating the Japanese consumer this holiday.

It's better to have a few hundred thousand than nothing (looking at MC hey sold 240k PS5 at this point). Also Jim Ryan said it was a mistake not launching PS4 in Japan at the same time as the rest of the world so that's why they wanted to launch PS5 there this time.

I assume by the end of February there will be more PS5 in Japan than PS4 back in 2014 when it launched.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 launched on November 15th 2013, 40 days before Christmas, unless you mean in Europe, 4 weeks does not include christmas for the ps4.
The 4.2 million for PS4 is 6 weeks after the US launch. 4 weeks wouldn't include Christmas there. The PS5 sales seem to be higher than PS4 at the same time.

Yeah. Logistic problems were blamed.

Oh right, I forgot it was only Europe that got it later. Makes more sense now.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
I think sales will explode once it's truly in stock and not being held hostage by scalpers. Once people can just walk in a store and pick one up or order it from online stores whenever they want, that's when we will see how crazy sales for the PS5 can go.