• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Price cuts are expected.

Taiwan-based graphics card makers including Gigabyte Technology, Micro-Star International (MSI) and TUL are expected to see their shipments for April plunge over 40% on month, as many clients have suspended taking shipments in response to drastic slowdown in demand for cryptocurrency mining machines, according to industry sources.

Channel distributors and larger mining farm operators have cut orders with makers of mining graphics cards and mining motherboards or asked them to suspend shipments due to the crypto mining craze waning abruptly from the beginning of April, the sources said.

Quite a few mining farm operators have even stopped purchasing graphic cards, as they are awaiting the rollout of Ethereum mining machines by China's Bitmain in the third quarter of 2018. They anticipate mining rewards to pick up gradually in the third quarter, as Bitcoin and Ethereum values may rebound following sharp declines seen in early 2018, the sources indicated.

In line with the shipment drops, gross margins for graphics card makers are expected to fall sharply to 20-25% from a high of 50% enjoyed earlier as makers and channel distributors are forced to slash prices for sales promotion. They hope the market demand can rebound in May or June.

Combined with the proposal to cut the amount of Ethernium awarded for mining a block by 80%, and it looks like the fabled used graphics card flood is imminent.

OP
OP
Delusibeta

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does this mean that the "graphics card cypto bubble" is going to burst?
If every other graphics card manufacturer sees a similar fall this month, the bubble's popped. That said, there's a risk that it's a temporary blip if another cryptocurrency rises in prominence, and that results in a return of demand for graphics cards amongst miners.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expect graphics cards cheap as dirt very soon then.

Genesis%20Mining.gif

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
A reminder that cards used for mining are usually shot to hell from running 24/7

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Does this mean that the "graphics card cypto bubble" is going to burst?

Cards have been semi-turning up on Slickdeals for the past month or so (MSRP). What I found most interesting about that article was how most of those GPU companies had direct contracts with the large mining farms.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/graphics-card-shipments-40-percent-down

The above article kind of pisses me off though. Ethereum and Monero are both really against the Bitmain ASICS that are releasing in Q3. I don't mind a lot of their "reasons" for being against them, but where was this conscience before? Really? They're concerned about energy consumption? Didn't bother them before.

Deleted member 5545

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're out of your mind if you'd buy a card that was used for mining.

Although I guess this means prices might settle for a bit until the new cards are out?

OP
OP
Delusibeta

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Although I guess this means prices might settle for a bit until the new cards are out?
Last time round, it turned out that the only real risk to buying used mining cards is that the fans might have been worn out. The GPUs themselves were fine, especially if the miner underclocked them.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A reminder that cards used for mining are usually shot to hell from running 24/7
It's actually less damaging for graphics cards to run 24/7 than be powered on and off everyday, as the power cycle causes the most "wear". Graphics cards for crypto mining are also usually run below 100% load due to various reasons including power usage per coin mined / efficiency. Cards used for crypto are likely to be in better condition than cards used for hardcore gaming that see 100% usage and power cycled everyday.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
OMG, thank you for posting this...my plans to buy a new PC later this year might be restored!

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Damn... I may actually start saving up for one now. Fucking Crypto craze -.-

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls pls plz plz plz plz plz plz plz

My PC is due to an upgrade already.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

This is a lie spread by people who want to eat up all those cheap graphics cards.
The cards being run 24/7 at usually a lower voltage doesnt damage them at all.

Heck a second hand Gcard that was beaten up gaming would have less "life" than a miner card.

Mar 23, 2018
I hope this is finally coming to an end!

My awesome R9 280 is still giving me awesome experiences, but I purchased an ultrawide monitor with freesync last year and I knew that this card didn't support it, so I'm excited for getting a new card, giving my card to a new owner or retire it for a while and using freesync in the future.

Anyway, I may wait a bit more because the next generation of consoles is a couple of years away and I would like to get something at least as good as those.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta keep an eye out, all I need is a new GPU to build a new, much needed, updated rig

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
I hope market gets flooded with cheap GPUs before nvidia announces 11 series. Hopefully seeing the cheap GPUs floating around will make them price their upcoming series well. I previously thought that if the GPU prices remained as they r right now when 11 series is launched then nvidia would be able to sell new GPUs at higher rates comfortably.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Still would never buy a used one. That shit has been running redline it's whole life. Poor things. Yes I just anthropomorphised my GPU lol

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
weird, i mine when im not gaming and my 1070 was making like $1 dollar day like a month ago and everyone said they were getting out, but prices over the last week or two have really spiked and its closer to 2$ now, so people should be buying GPUs atm

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I sure hope it doesn't mean they'll simply lower the shipment overall, making their product scarce and causing the same issues we're currently experiencing (difficulty to find the product, inflated price, etc). Plus, this whole crypto bubble fucked the market perhaps to a point where some retailers won't feel compelled to return the price back to what it once was. Cynical thought. God I hope I'm wrong.

I honestly wouldn't care knowing Sony has so much first party studios bringing the good exclusives. I'd see that as a good investment. Such hardware could last longer than the PS4/Pro combined. Bring back single SKU! lol

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean I can finally do a build this summer and not get completely gouged? :)

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Good.

When the next Nvidia cards are out, will miners start buying them all again or have they permanently moved on to these ASICs?

Trying to decide whether to buy a 1080 if I see a good deal, or wait. Ordinarily I'd wait, but if the new cards will all be sold out for months...

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Mining difficult increased... actual graphic cards are not profitable like the miners wants...

Until new wave of graphic cards this year pop up high efficiency for mining.

Actual mining is like changing from times to times between the best hardware for that word...

That makes no sense at all.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
How is it at all logical to assume that crypto prices are gonna rebound on the basis that they're making/selling machines that will make it easier to mine them? I guess there is some kind of optimal point of scarcity/demand at which prices are will peak? Seems a bit weird.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I don't see it at all honestly. That's not how the physics work. A lot of cards are severely down clocked and temperature regulated. These cards silicon and everything last a long time. If you can get a really good deal it will easy last you years (at least) if they weren't completely torturing it.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina

There is nothing wrong to buy a mining used card for games... the opposite you get a great deal.

There is no difference between a graphic card used to mining or games... well there is a possibility using for gaming is worst for the GPU lifespan than mining.

Last edited:

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017

From what I've read and watched the limits in lifespan are usually thermal load and power cycling. Both are reduced in mining compared to regular gaming.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking finally. Maybe now I can stop telling customers "no I can't find a graphics card for a good price"